Looking into an Apex Controller. Is it worth it?

AXO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is basically a glorified thermometer, but my apt is badly wired and I can't do much myself without my tech friends.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is basically a glorified thermometer, but my apt is badly wired and I can't do much myself without my tech friends.

I'm not sure what you mean, AXO. Your apartment wiring really doesn't have anything to do with the functionality of your Apex. You don't really need to be a "tech" person to get a lot of use out of it. Lots of people here are willing to walk you through whatever you need to know, step by step.
If you describe your setup, and what you think you would like to be able to do with it, I'm more than willing to help you achieve that.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rather daunting when you listen to people talk about anything apex related, but once you're actually doing it, it's not bad at all I promise! Mine has been up and running a few days now and it was all pretty simple. A little time consuming just because I wanted to make sure it was all correct, but easy nonetheless

I just finished modding my Chinese LED's and even that was much simpler than I thought it would be. I'm beyond amazed at what all this controller can do.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am officially 100% done with everything! Just got done organizing all the wires, now it's time to clean up my three day mess. One thing for anyone looking to buy an apex controller -- Zip ties and zip tie base mounts will be your best friend! If you think you have enough, buy another pack. You'll use them!!

I do have a question that maybe you can help me out with @Waterjockey. I will be using my apex as my ato, but currently am waiting on float switches to arrive. So for now I am just manually doing it via "on/off" and watching it until it reaches the desired level.
I have my Aqua Lifter in outlet 4, and then a virtual outlet "ATO".
Coding for Aqua Lifter is:
Fallback Off
Set Off
If Outlet ATO = ON Then ON

My question is, is there a way I can add a "run time"? Something like 5 minutes, just in case I were to walk away and get sidetracked. Then it would just shut off after running for 5 minutes even if I didn't switch it to off? Does that make sense?

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am officially 100% done with everything! Just got done organizing all the wires, now it's time to clean up my three day mess. One thing for anyone looking to buy an apex controller -- Zip ties and zip tie base mounts will be your best friend! If you think you have enough, buy another pack. You'll use them!!

I do have a question that maybe you can help me out with @Waterjockey. I will be using my apex as my ato, but currently am waiting on float switches to arrive. So for now I am just manually doing it via "on/off" and watching it until it reaches the desired level.
Fallback Off
Set Off

My question is, is there a way I can add a "run time"? Something like 5 minutes, just in case I were to walk away and get sidetracked. Then it would just shut off after running for 5 minutes even if I didn't switch it to off? Does that make sense?

There is a couple of ways you could do it, using osc command, one of the feed buttons, or with a min command.
I am not at home to check the code but you could try;
If outlet ATO = ON Then ON
Min Time = 005:00 Then ON

What that should do, is whenever outlet ATO is on, then it will run for a minimum of 5 minutes, regardless if outlet ATO shuts off in under 5 min.
You could "pulse" outlet ATO on, then off again right away, for 5 minute (or however many minutes you want) fill shots.....easier to remember to shut the outlet off immediately, and let it run for x minutes per shot. Otherwise you could use an osc command for essentially the same thing.
If somebody else can think of a better way, please jump in.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use the controller that GOD has provided for you .
YOU!

I can think of two good reasons for him wanting to do it with the Apex.

1. He just got it this week. The more he fools around with it using different commands under different circumstances, the faster he will become proficient at using it, and soon be helping others out with theirs whenever he can. All these bits of code, the defer statements, and min on time statements he will be using in his ATO program when he gets his float switches, so he will have half the battle beat when they arrive.

2. I completely wiped out my entire tank by forgetting I was manually filling my sump with the line from my RODI. I got distracted and went to bed, and it ran all night. That was a very expensive "senior moment", not to mention the emotional hurt of killing the critters and corals in my care. I had become very fond of my pets. The very next day I ordered a breakout box and float switches, and had an ATO with several redundancies built in before the week was out. I will never, ever, run a reef tank without an ATO again. His wanting to use the controller he already has, to help ensure he doesn't accidentally leave it running until he gets his ATO up and running, IMHO, is a fine idea.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a couple of ways you could do it, using osc command, one of the feed buttons, or with a min command.
I am not at home to check the code but you could try;
If outlet ATO = ON Then ON
Min Time = 005:00 Then ON

What that should do, is whenever outlet ATO is on, then it will run for a minimum of 5 minutes, regardless if outlet ATO shuts off in under 5 min.
You could "pulse" outlet ATO on, then off again right away, for 5 minute (or however many minutes you want) fill shots.....easier to remember to shut the outlet off immediately, and let it run for x minutes per shot. Otherwise you could use an osc command for essentially the same thing.
If somebody else can think of a better way, please jump in.

I just realized you probably want to thrown a Defer xxx then off statement at the end to ensure it shuts off. I am travelling at the moment so I can'T check it.....just came to mind while juggling a couple of real life conversations :):)

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallback Off
Set Off

@corey.nolta I got thinking about your manually filling your ATO, and possibly getting distracted and forgetting it was on. I stole zombies manual latching code, which will allow you to turn on a "manual fill" virtual outlet, which will turn on your physical ATO outlet. It will then watch the outlet, and if it is on for xxx amount of time, send you an email warning, if it continues to stay on till yyy time, it will automatically shut off. You would have to manually reset the latch (another virtual outlet), before you can fill again.
For testing the code, I set the alarm warning for 1 min, and the fill time to 2 minutes. You would obviously change those times to what suits you.

ATOLATCH (virtual outlet)
If Outlet ATO = ON Then ON (your physical ATO outlet)
Defer 002:00 Then ON <= set to max time you want the ato on
If Outlet MANUALRESET = ON Then OFF

ATO
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet MANATOFILL = ON Then ON (virtual outlet you control to fill your ato with)
If Outlet ATOLATCH = ON Then OFF

MANATOFILL
Set OFF

MANUALRESET (virtual outlet you control to reset the auto-off sequence)
Set Off

ATOFILLALRM
Set OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON <= set for how long ato on before it sends alarm

Then just add to your email_alarm outlet the line
If Outlet ATOFILLALRM = ON Then ON

Create all the virtual outlets first, then fill them in.
Now you can hit the "MANATOFILL" switch to ON, and walk away. If you forget to turn it off, it will alarm you after xxx min (in this code 1 min), and it will automatically turn off in yyy min (in this code 2 min). If it actually kicks in (i.e., you did forget and didn't turn the fill off when you wanted to), you hit the manual reset to ON, then back to auto, and you are set to go again for next time.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, is there a way I can add a "run time"? Something like 5 minutes, just in case I were to walk away and get sidetracked. Then it would just shut off after running for 5 minutes even if I didn't switch it to off?

For programming questions you can always get a ton of help on the Neptune forums: http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back