Looking into an Apex Controller. Is it worth it?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a basic saltwater tank, no.
After the 'cool factor' wears off, it's just a big glorified timer for switching outlets on/off.

Ditched the apex myself and went with the reef angel. Works just as well with the bonus I can program whatever I want on it and it's not locked down like the apex. On another note, the WXM states it supports ecotech stuff, but they don't tell you it's only BASIC functionality. It doesn't do more than a couple functions with each product. Neptune blames it on ecotech from what I've seen. (for not releasing code)

Overall, a power strip with timers is all you really need. Once you get multiple tanks with a lot of hardware it's nicer, but again, it's not required. As long as you have an ATO you're good. Beyond that a fish feeder works wonders. When you get into dosers, depending upon what you get, it might be advantageous to get a controller.

Another disappointment that comes to mind regarding the apex, is they never release anything that's lower cost. That was one thing I was excited about when I bought it, but even after 3-4 new expansion/product releases that were 300-500$, they still hadn't fixed some areas of previous code. It was pretty disappointing. I think the main reason it gets major hype is because people want to feel good about the money they dumped into it. I know someone is currently working on their own controller that matches functionality and they've spent less than 100$. That says something about the greed factor with the controllers.

I would wait though to buy a controller until you get a handle on the tank, and start to fill it more, and dosers are required. Until then, get an ATO and relish in the fact you're running a tank by yourself. :) (it's an accomplishment for sure)

Seem a bit jaded.

The last part though. Very good advice! Wait on the controller not because you don't know controller but because you don't even know your tank yet and what you want on it.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two words , GET IT ...

Its nothing but a glorified timer until the day you have to leave town and you have nobody to watch after your tank and feed the fish, or until your heater fails, or until your ph drops to 7.5 . or until your skimmer starts overflowing. You get my point ;) There are always exceptions of course.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have it, I enjoy my aquarium more and know it is safe! Coming home with everything dead because of something that could be prevented would devastate me.

I couldn't live with out it.

Get the new all out APEX, you WILL NOT REGRET IT!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anyone living in the southeast and claiming its just a glorified timer I challenge you to come visit my tank and see for yourself.

Just one look at my programming and you will see that basic timer functions is kindergarten compared to what it can do and the insinuation that its just a timer is frankly (yea ill say it) moronic.

True, i still change my filter socks, empty my skimmers and feed my fish just like you.....but over all the tank runs at a whole nother level.

In my case with 2 heaters, 2 main pumps, and an automated skimmer cleaner and skimmate collector, an emergency coolings fans and a series of leak detectors...it doesnt JUST notify me....it automatically takes action to address the problems on its own.

As i said, i keep a spare main brain and if one breaks you send the other off for repair...about $100 when lightening hit mine.

Even when lightening hit mine the EB8s went to their defaults which was lights off, main pump and skimmer and circ pumps ON. Reactors off. Only issue is heaters go completely off in that state.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also im not sure what the bit about vortechs was...

I can run my vortech in any mode any time of the day i want at any speed.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the amazing input! Just placed my order for the apex controller. I had some points to redeem and took advantage of it and went ahead and placed the order. Should be here tomorrow! I'm excited as I have the whole weekend off to play with it. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice on set up. Thanks again for all the input!

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the amazing input! Just placed my order for the apex controller. I had some points to redeem and took advantage of it and went ahead and placed the order. Should be here tomorrow! I'm excited as I have the whole weekend off to play with it. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice on set up. Thanks again for all the input!

You won't regret it. Tons of help available in setting it up. Just program one device at a time for starters, then build on that for your integration.
One thing I might suggest is either start assembling the stuff for a diy breakout box, or add one to your order. Having 6 programmable switches really helps add failsafe monitoring and build devices (I. E., I put together an apex controlled ato with failsafes and alarms together in about 20 min with a couple of switches and a dosing pump)

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a breakout box coming with the. I was able to get one for $10 (after redeeming the points I received from the initial apex order). I figured out of all the add ons, that one would be the most beneficial right away

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, it's all set up and running! Still have a few things to tidy up, but all in all, I can already tell this is going to be an amazing addition to the tank. I haven't done anything with the breakout box yet, but that's one of my projects today. Currently I have just the basics programmed in. Timer schedule for lights, heater range set, and "Feed A" set to shut down skimmer, return, and powerheads for five minutes (skimmer being off for an additional 10 minutes once feed mode is over).
What are some of your commands that you run? Is there a forum already in place with a bunch of different ideas?
Today I'm going to be adding a float switch to my ATO reservoir to alert me when it needs to be filled, and maybe one to my skimmer collection container. I'll also be playing around with the notifications. What are some good items to be notified on? Temp being one of the main ones. Let's hear some more ideas!
Thanks for all the input thus far!

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, it's all set up and running! Still have a few things to tidy up, but all in all, I can already tell this is going to be an amazing addition to the tank. I haven't done anything with the breakout box yet, but that's one of my projects today. Currently I have just the basics programmed in. Timer schedule for lights, heater range set, and "Feed A" set to shut down skimmer, return, and powerheads for five minutes (skimmer being off for an additional 10 minutes once feed mode is over).
What are some of your commands that you run? Is there a forum already in place with a bunch of different ideas?
Today I'm going to be adding a float switch to my ATO reservoir to alert me when it needs to be filled, and maybe one to my skimmer collection container. I'll also be playing around with the notifications. What are some good items to be notified on? Temp being one of the main ones. Let's hear some more ideas!
Thanks for all the input thus far!

As far as text notifications go, I have skimmer collection high level, sump high and low levels, pH high and low and temp high and low....so far :) I will be adding ato low and a Rodi storage high at some point.

I am big on redundancy, so I ordered a bunch of additional switches off ebay for something like $2 each, and I wired them in series so if one switch fails, the other should catch it. I do my "big" tank maintenance every Sun morning, and that's when I test each switch to ensure it's working.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of neat stuff out there regarding using the seasonal tables and light/pump control....random storm events, cloudy periods, moon phases, etc...some people increase the random cloudy to acclimatize corals to thier lighting. I just started using the seasonal table for temp control just for fun, and am slowing adding the coding to do the same with the lights and flow.
My apex *is* my ato system, and soon to be my auto-water change control system. Surfing the controller forums I have found neat stuff from just the "check my code?" threads :)
Oh...and as soon as my two solinoid valves from ebay arrive, I will be trying out an automated sump cleaning system :)

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I just ordered the new Apex and have never set one up so this should be interesting. I also got the DOS dosing pump.

Sweet! Once you get a handle of the command structure, there is very little you can't do with it....I am always finding something to fine tune and add a line here and there :)
I kinda wish I had got the DOS dosing pumps...mebbe down the road

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Once you get a handle of the command structure, there is very little you can't do with it....I am always finding something to fine tune and add a line here and there :)
I kinda wish I had got the DOS dosing pumps...mebbe down the road

I was hesitant on the DOS because I really wanted the GHL stand alone dosing pump but I can't control it with the apex...

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of neat stuff out there regarding using the seasonal tables and light/pump control....random storm events, cloudy periods, moon phases, etc...some people increase the random cloudy to acclimatize corals to thier lighting. I just started using the seasonal table for temp control just for fun, and am slowing adding the coding to do the same with the lights and flow.
My apex *is* my ato system, and soon to be my auto-water change control system. Surfing the controller forums I have found neat stuff from just the "check my code?" threads :)
Oh...and as soon as my two solinoid valves from ebay arrive, I will be trying out an automated sump cleaning system :)
Thats interesting! I might have to look into that. Soon my apex will be my ato system as well. Just waiting on some float switches too.

Following... I just ordered the new Apex and have never set one up so this should be interesting. I also got the DOS dosing pump.
It's much easier to set up all the basic that you'd think. I had mine up and running in a few hours. It would have taken much less time but I was very indecisive on where/how I wanted to mount everything!

Side note - I have a question on coding. Is it possible to have (2) "Defer" lines for (2) separate commands? I just created a VO ("Maintenance") in order to shut down all appropriate equipment. In regards to my return pump, I currently have a "Defer 010:00" for once my "Feed A" is over. However, once I switch "Maintenance" back to Auto I'd like everything to fire right back up. So is there a way I can lock the "Defer 010:00" to JUST the "Feed A"?

I tried this coding, but it didn't work.
Return Pump--
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Maintenance = ON Then OFF
Defer 000:05 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON

I hope that all makes sense on what I'm trying to get to work!

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it maintenance outlet is a virtual outlet? How is it triggered/coded?
Does it have a Set off statement?

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try changing your defer to 000:01
I just created a virtual outlet identical to yours, and used the same code, except with the 000:01 timing and it works. Whenever maintenance is switched on, return pump shuts off, when maintenance is switched to auto, the return starts back up. I have that as the last two lines in the return pump program.

Back