Looking into an Apex Controller. Is it worth it?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many things you can do once you get into it corey, and since you are pretty tech savvy, you'll find a lot of things that you can do to automate your tank processes. for example, added some code so I could keep my salinity accurate; when it's low, I set up a pump that pumps in a small volume of saltwater and pumps the same amount back out of the tank. When salinity is too high, it pumps in RODI water and pumps out the same volume. The system keeps checking and salinity never varies for me. I still check it with a refractometer, but it is surprisingly accurate. Same with pH. Also run a program that checks if power is on for important pieces of equipment in my tank, doses alk and calc perfectly.
Once I bit the bullet and bought an Apex, I realized that I can do anything with it. I am sure the other controllers can do it just as well. If you want to check out what other people are doing, head over to: http://www.reeftronics.net/ and choose some of the names up on the site. You can see exactly what they programmed into their systems...
I think it's worth it in the long run, to be able to check my tank parameters without having to be in front of it.
It has saved my tank more than once, but that's a different story...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me adding a controller, no matter which one, is a great advantage.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saving you from a potential disaster just 1 time makes it worth every penny. Any tank without some type of temperature controller is a ticking time bomb so for me, redundancy on the cheapy builtin thermometers is probably the #1 reason for a controller. Once you get into additives and dosing it will be invaluable as well.

Tanksfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex is one of most accurate ways to control temperature. As failed heaters are well known to be a leading cause of tank crashes. Apex is probably the most reliable way to negate this problem. It will alarm you if your heater fails. It can do this in a couple of ways; 1. By sending an alarm if temp is to high or to low (you set parameters) and 2.By keeping track of the amount of electricity that is being used by heater compared to average. Also, if you have a back up heater in the tank set to come on at a couple of degrees lower than you main heater, it will turn that on so you are still protected. This saved me once when I was out of town and heater failed in on position.
P.S. I skimmed through this post, so if someone already stated this...my bad!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have used Digital Aquatics controllers for years. They are good but some what limited and the NET module is testy at best! I'm not a programmer but have been reading up on the APEX system and it looks pretty straight forward, especially if you ever programmed in DOS. Showing my age now.... I wanted to take control of many things on my current system that the DA RKE just wouldn't give me the capability to control. So I bought a new APEX Gold and I'm glad I did, still getting used to the way Neptune programs but with so many out there, there is always someone who can help out. The Fusion access is very helpful for remote control. Their users portal is also very helpful. You can get a used APEX for a very reasonable price now that the new ones have come out. So for me it was a no brainer... Still a rookie but learning...

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all these reviews, it'll happen by weeks end. How much of a difference is the standard PH vs Lab Grade? There is an apex system with standard PH probe for $419 on Amazon. Is the lab grade probe really worth the extra $130?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went Apex gold last December, and I am very happy that waited and went with the gold. After running the numbers the gold was less in the long run over piecing together a Apex system. Last week I just went online with my seconded EB8 to control more toys.
I like most, I am not a code person. But I will say that like the ability of text notifications. I like that I have 2 feeding settings and two maitance setting that control different pumps, ATO, reactors, skimmed, you name it for my system it it plugged into the controller.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt even consider running a tank without one.

The amount of saftey/s leak detectors alone make it worth the money.

It functions as a leak detector both inside and outside my stand, it shuts off leak sources and activates a sunk pump in the water proof stand and notifies me, it also shuts the power to anything in the area of the leak detector (i run 3 leack detectors, one on each side and one inside the stand, it notifies me when the ato is low (or high if i forget to shut off the RODI and the float valve fails), it shuts off my skimmer and notifies me when the collection cup is full, it operates my automatic neck cleaner, it operates my 2 part dosing pumps, it alternates the flow of my power heads, it controls my lights, it lets me know if there are temp or ph issues, it monitors my orp, it lets me know if the levels in my sump are too high or too low, it tracks and trends all of my water tests and parameters, it runs my feed and maintenance programs, it operates my stand and refugium lighting, soon it will function as a saftey for my ozone generator and operate my denitrator.

When they come out with it..it will monitor the flow of water through my return lines and control my main vs back up pumps. (taking action if necessary). It tracks and trends the flow in the tank via the wavs. It operates my heater and has control of a back up heater to take action if the main fails. it monitors my power usage so i don't overload the outlets and trip the breaker. It tracks my maintenance tasks. It tracks my outlet usaged (i can look and confirm when the dosing pumps came on and off etc. if i am auditing what actually occurred).

If i wanted it to, it would also monitor the par and dissolved oxygen in my tank as well as monitoring salinity, it could also automatically or on demand feed pellets, run moon lighting, and completely automate the dosing calculations along with letting you know when the dosing resovoirs are low (things ill probably do sooner or later but have not found to be needed thus far).

It also runs the main pump and skimmer on my qt tank...and with another module it would monitor ph and temp on the 2nd tank also.

And thats the classic version, i think the new one has some additional power functions along with built in wi fi. I have a spare main brain in my cabinent ready to go if anything happens to the unit so that i can be up and running in a few hours. (less if i would bother to copy all the programming).

To be honest, the programming is not that hard...and im one of those 43 year old "non milenial" types and i can program the darn thing to do anything i want it to do..any time. The hardest part is creating virutal outlets to run virtual programs within the command.

oh by the way, there is a commercially available jaebo controller. I run 2 on the rear wall of my tank because i was too cheap to spring for a vortech or tunze for the rear wall. I believe icecap sells it. Beware though....neptune doesnt support that module. (which i think they should until they release smaller cheaper pumps of their own) as no one is going to put a $200 wav on the back wall but i digress.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all these reviews, it'll happen by weeks end. How much of a difference is the standard PH vs Lab Grade? There is an apex system with standard PH probe for $419 on Amazon. Is the lab grade probe really worth the extra $130?
The lab grade probe just lasts longer and stays calibrated better. You can find a lab grade Ph probe for allot less that $130, I believe they run @$60 at BRS. JMO.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a lab grade but either way, plan to replace them about once a year or so.

Mine hasn't even been calibrated in a year but thats one of the benifits of the lab grade.

Probably time to calibrate it.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who lost EVERYTHING recently to a malfunctioning heater. YES, it's worth it's weight in gold. I'm waiting to get mine now. It's just the basic set up, but I'll add to it later.

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the reef keeper system, may not be as good but cost is about half. you can get in the door for about $120

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was skeptical from the start also. I would not have a reef without one now. There is so much you can do with the controller plus you can run many tanks off the same unit. I am running 3 tanks and my automatic water change off the same unit right now. I like the classic though, I am not big on fusion. It is cool and all but I prefer the classic.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the reef keeper system, may not be as good but cost is about half. you can get in the door for about $120
I have a RKE w/:
Head Unit
2x PS
SL1 w/ 3mth. old Ph probe New style Temp probe
NET module
DP1
Float switch
$340
Great unit but with a new APEX I don't need anymore.

Last edited:

Bob Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved mine. I had it controlling just about everything on my tank and could control it from my iPhone. That is until I did a required firmware update about 6 months ago. I'm not sure what was updated but it performed a factory reset on my apex. So I had to reprogram everything. Problem is it now will not recognize my second PH probe so my calcium reactor can't be controlled and I can't get it to go online so everything has to be done through the the apex controller which is not near as easy as on my iPhone.
So in a nutshell it's now an expensive light timer and temp gauge for me.
But I loved it before the required firmware update.

Bob Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to my previous post. I do love controllers and what they do.
I am heading to Macna next weekend and my main objective is to see what else is out there for controllers.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a basic saltwater tank, no.
After the 'cool factor' wears off, it's just a big glorified timer for switching outlets on/off.

Ditched the apex myself and went with the reef angel. Works just as well with the bonus I can program whatever I want on it and it's not locked down like the apex. On another note, the WXM states it supports ecotech stuff, but they don't tell you it's only BASIC functionality. It doesn't do more than a couple functions with each product. Neptune blames it on ecotech from what I've seen. (for not releasing code)

Overall, a power strip with timers is all you really need. Once you get multiple tanks with a lot of hardware it's nicer, but again, it's not required. As long as you have an ATO you're good. Beyond that a fish feeder works wonders. When you get into dosers, depending upon what you get, it might be advantageous to get a controller.

Another disappointment that comes to mind regarding the apex, is they never release anything that's lower cost. That was one thing I was excited about when I bought it, but even after 3-4 new expansion/product releases that were 300-500$, they still hadn't fixed some areas of previous code. It was pretty disappointing. I think the main reason it gets major hype is because people want to feel good about the money they dumped into it. I know someone is currently working on their own controller that matches functionality and they've spent less than 100$. That says something about the greed factor with the controllers.

I would wait though to buy a controller until you get a handle on the tank, and start to fill it more, and dosers are required. Until then, get an ATO and relish in the fact you're running a tank by yourself. :) (it's an accomplishment for sure)

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just a big glorified timer for switching outlets on/off

Have to respectfully disagree, the monitoring and alerting capabilities alone have saved my tank a number of times.

I first got mine during the winter, and at the recommendation of Russ (who runs the forums and now works for Neptune) I initially only set it up for temperature and pH monitoring, until I got the hang of how to work with it. Guess what - the next morning I go to look at the graphs and discover my temps are dropping super low at night, because we turn down the house thermostat at bedtime and my heaters were too underpowered to keep the tank at the right temp. Never would have known otherwise because I only ever checked my temps during the day and they always looked fine.

I've had it keep the tank from cooking when heaters broke and got stuck on; I've had it alert me about the tank being too cold when heaters broke and got stuck off. I've had it alert me while I was traveling that the temps were too high, which allowed me to text the housesitters and tell them that it was getting too hot in the house and they needed to turn on the swamp cooler.

The leak detectors have never triggered (knock on wood) but the peace of mind is more than worth the cost of those.

On top of that, you can learn to tell a lot about what's going on in your tank by looking at e.g. the pH or ORP graphs overtime, and get an idea of when you might need to do some maintenance or whatever. For me that kind of thing makes it worth buying, and the all the fine-grained control of lights and dosing and everything else is extra bonus points.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back