Man Vs Bryopsis - Kent's, Continuum, and Vibrant treatment thread

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up to 1560 today with Kent Tech M. It appears to be having an effect on bryopsis already.

Previous
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1472781541.782600.jpg

Now
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1472781573.993883.jpg

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no update last night. I've been really busy. Last night, I did NOT dose or test my Mg. I believe I am at 2000ppm after Thursday nights dose. From here out I'm trying to maintain 2000ppm. I'm either doing a water change tonight or tomorrow. Not sure yet. Depends on how busy I am.

I'm hoping to hear back from Mike sometime today/night with answers to the questions I posted.

I want to say I'm seeing evidence of dying Bryopsis, but at the same time I want to say I've seen some new growth at the origional site. Pictured on the OP. So I'm just going to be patient and have a watchful eye for now while maintaining 2000ppm of Tech M.

I really want to get that microscope, so I can do pictures and videos of how my species of Bry is effected by certain chemicals (pure Mg, direct H2O2, ect).

Keep checking back friends!

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been thinking that maybe 5 tanks is too much. I'm thinking once the Bryopsis is killed off in the 20g, I'll consolidate the contents into the 65G. Probably use the 20g for a QT tank, as I still don't have a QT setup.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag at 1760 today. This is definitely working!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1472918651.839659.jpg

Update - Day 9

I agree! I can see the Bryopsis is dying. The "feathers" are disappearing and leaving the main stalk to slowly die and break off. I hope this is what's happening. I've learned the Mg dosing swings are related to swings in salinity/volume. So I should be trying to keep a constant level. An ATO would be helpful.

*Also want to note that a species of the Stolonifera order has turned translucent. I want to say it's some type of clove but it lacks any type of feathery, or spikey qualities. All the tentacles are slmooth. When I first added it to my tank it was reddish/purple, now blueish/translucent. Pretty weird. It came with some clove polyps.

Just did about 30% water change. About 5 gallons out of 16.5g total volume. My salinity is 1.0255. It's a little high still but I don't want to take out any more water today. I'm really curious where Mg is right now. Tonight, I'll test Mg, possibly dose, and record the data. Also going to start recording the salenity. I'll get some pictures up here too.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures updates from today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Translucent coral from Mg overdosing
image.jpeg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing from Mike?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no update last night. I've been really busy. Last night, I did NOT dose or test my Mg. I believe I am at 2000ppm after Thursday nights dose. From here out I'm trying to maintain 2000ppm. I'm either doing a water change tonight or tomorrow. Not sure yet. Depends on how busy I am.

I'm hoping to hear back from Mike sometime today/night with answers to the questions I posted.

I want to say I'm seeing evidence of dying Bryopsis, but at the same time I want to say I've seen some new growth at the origional site. Pictured on the OP. So I'm just going to be patient and have a watchful eye for now while maintaining 2000ppm of Tech M.

I really want to get that microscope, so I can do pictures and videos of how my species of Bry is effected by certain chemicals (pure Mg, direct H2O2, ect).

Keep checking back friends!
I have been following along and updating my thread as well. I have been holding 1880ppm for a few days and don't believe I am seeing any die off yet. Would you suggest raising to 2000ppm?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stevo01 What are your phosphate levels? Just out of curiosity.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following along and updating my thread as well. I have been holding 1880ppm for a few days and don't believe I am seeing any die off yet. Would you suggest raising to 2000ppm?

I don't see a problem holding 2000ppm for a short amount of time.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an answer for that. I have been using RO/DI water for awhile now.
I'm asking because PO4 is another food source for bryopsis. Running ULNS on top of Kent might help boost the eradication. If you aren't comfortable with testing po4 or supplementing po4 and no3 then don't worry about it.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pick up a Salifert PO4 test kit. I may start a 14 day H2O2 treatment while the Mg treatment is going on. I have a bubble algae outbreak as well. It's safe to say I have lots of algae's in my tank.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pick up a Salifert PO4 test kit. I may start a 14 day H2O2 treatment while the Mg treatment is going on. I have a bubble algae outbreak as well. It's safe to say I have lots of algae's in my tank.
I don't know if I would dose H2O2 while running high mag. You are already stressing the tank. That would add more stress, I think.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know, it's def a concern.
Depends really on which algae you are trying to eliminate. Bubble algae traps its nutrients. best way to remove bubble algae is to manually remove.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked by @Js.Aqua.Project if I noticed any effects to Euphyllia from high Mg dosing. I answered in his Bry thread with this...

I have a torch that was splitting before I started dosing, and is still. I noticed last night it had pulled in pretty tight. I don't think this is in connection to dosing Mg.

I believe I've got two peppermint shrimp that have gone rouge. They are def peps not camel. They made short work of the aptasia. I was very pleased to see all of them gone by the second week. I would have got one (1/2 the trouble now), but I heard it's better to keep them in pairs.

I dropped a brand new gold Aussie torch into the tank a week ago. The moment I put it in this new torch was a target. The larger of the two peppermint shrimp jumped on top of the torch and was tearing it apart. I chased the shrimp off and put the gold torch in the Pico tank. But before I was able to do so it had snipped off several tentacles. I think I see solid evidence of occasional attacks being made on my purple tipped torch. It almost looks like the shrimp is trying to disarm the torch by snipping the tentacles. This is pretty crazy stuff to watch.

This has been going on for awhile, and until last week never knew what was happening. The shrimp def need to go. Not reef safe IMO. They make me pretty nervous every night when they come out now. Pretty sure they are attacking a green implosion colony. I don't want to get off topic here, but you can be pretty sure if you have these shrimp it's them, not Mg dosing.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked by @Js.Aqua.Project if I noticed any effects to Euphyllia from high Mg dosing. I answered in his Bry thread with this...

I have a torch that was splitting before I started dosing, and is still. I noticed last night it had pulled in pretty tight. I don't think this is in connection to dosing Mg.

I believe I've got two peppermint shrimp that have gone rouge. They are def peps not camel. They made short work of the aptasia. I was very pleased to see all of them gone by the second week. I would have got one (1/2 the trouble now), but I heard it's better to keep them in pairs.

I dropped a brand new gold Aussie torch into the tank a week ago. The moment I put it in this new torch was a target. The larger of the two peppermint shrimp jumped on top of the torch and was tearing it apart. I chased the shrimp off and put the gold torch in the Pico tank. But before I was able to do so it had snipped off several tentacles. I think I see solid evidence of occasional attacks being made on my purple tipped torch. It almost looks like the shrimp is trying to disarm the torch by snipping the tentacles. This is pretty crazy stuff to watch.

This has been going on for awhile, and until last week never knew what was happening. The shrimp def need to go. Not reef safe IMO. They make me pretty nervous every night when they come out now. Pretty sure they are attacking a green implosion colony. I don't want to get off topic here, but you can be pretty sure if you have these shrimp it's them, not Mg dosing.
The stress from the mag dosing could put them in survival mode. Maybe up their feeding?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back