MANDARINS- ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH THEM

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH MY GOD.... I CANT EXPLAIN THIS BUT THEY ARE ALIVE SOME HOW... I CAME HOME AND I SEEN THEM SLIGHTLY MOVING SO I PUT THEM DIRECTLY INTO MY COPEPOD TANK.... IM QUITE SURE THEY DONT HIBERNATE LOL....
Awesome , I hope they make it!!!!:)

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome , I hope they make it!!!!:)

I GUESS IT WAS A LAST EFFORT FOR THEM TO TRY TO LIVE.... THEY DIED AND I DOUBLED CHECKED THIS TIME.... WELL IT WAS WORTH A TRY TO SEE IF THEY MADE....WELL I LEARNED ALOT AND HOPE OTHERS DID TOO....

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad, but at least you tried. They surely were going to die at the LFS. You gave the little guys a chance to live.

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I have took the time to buy a sample of everything available in my area and you now can add me to the list of people that believe that the WILD CAUGHT mandarins will only eat live copepods....

The list of things that did not work were
1. Frozen Mysis
2. Frozen brine
3. Frozen krill
4. Blood worms

This is simply not true. I have only ever bought wild caught mandarins and they can all be trained to eat frozen.

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is simply not true. I have only ever bought wild caught mandarins and they can all be trained to eat frozen.
Well please if you can show yours eating the frozen and how you feed...it would truly help mandys lovers alot.....thanks for sharing

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my vote.... 1 gal on live copepods......
$(KGrHqR,!lQE1FviW1L!BN,)KSDODQ--_3.JPG

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, I've only met one that couldn't be trained an that goes for WC pipefish and scooters as well.
facww.jpg
so you swear by these huh.... ya I would try these in a mandy ONLY TANK....but not my main display....I really want to see yours chopping on these lol....

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g so pods aren't really a problem, I recently added some from Algae barn but I also feed the pods with Reef Bugs twice a week. I've had mine over a year.
image.jpeg

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
facww.jpg
so you swear by these huh.... ya I would try these in a mandy ONLY TANK....but not my main display....I really want to see yours chopping on these lol....
The other day was my first attempt feeding white worms to a marine tank. I used to culture them for breeding fish in my 75gal planted tank. The fish loved them and much cleaner than frozen foods. Many marine breeders swear by black and white worms. White worms being smaller and easier to culture. Wish I knew about them back when I was originally doing salt tanks.

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day was my first attempt feeding white worms to a marine tank. I used to culture them for breeding fish in my 75gal planted tank. The fish loved them and much cleaner than frozen foods. Many marine breeders swear by black and white worms. White worms being smaller and easier to culture. Wish I knew about them back when I was originally doing salt tanks.
Cool but I would like to stay fosse on mandys diet not the other fish....

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g so pods aren't really a problem, I recently added some from Algae barn but I also feed the pods with Reef Bugs twice a week. I've had mine over a year.
image.jpeg

Wonderful pic.... I tried reef bugs.... not saying you are wrong but they did nothing as well.... also Im noticing that people mix a bunch of foods together not knowing what really makes the mandys start to peck.... part of the problem I think is that we have a hard time seeing what they are really going after unless we isolate them and put one food item in at a time....

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a vid of her eating one of the 10 I was able to pick out of my currently feeble culture. I tried to use the food dish but the 6 line demolished them before she could get to it so I dropped one behind the rocks for her. I'll try and get a better one here once my culture is producing better. I'll upload it tonight. I'm off to bed just got off graveyard shift

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
food dish is the best way to go. Pretty sure I've already posted vids of mandarins eating bloodworms and mysis from one but if not here's one from my old tank. I'm still trying to devise a good feeding dish for this tank. I got something on order to try

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back