OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know. Just hoping I can get the scooter out to do this. Maybe I'll get some pods, use some dry rock that will have to become "QT" only rock and move him back to the 10 gal.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheReefer27 I've got the other fish in a copper qt. It's only the scooter blenny which cannot go into copper still in tank. I had him in a separate qt tank but he wasn't eating so put him back in display while trying to get hands on CP. I just ordered come pods so will reset up 10 gal with some rock that will become qt rock for future. I'll feed pods, along with other food and seed both the DT and DR and get more in those tanks during the fallow period. As I eventually will add a mandarin, the 10 gal set up will be perfect with rocks. Assuming carbon will remove the CP? Or water changes? But I imagine, I'll have to use CP for future new arrivals for QT who cannot tolerate copper? I'm new, obviously to the whole QT process...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP or Tank Transfer Method ... or choose fish which can tolerate copper. (Or get lucky, and purchase fish that have no . . . yeah, on second thought, go with the first two.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol's Bruce. Not much funny about any of this but hey, gotta laugh or cry... So here's a QT question:

Once done with all this, I'll have a 10 gal I used with CP (assuming I get any) and a 20 gat I used with copper, both with HOB and one with the addition of a small canister filter. Can I use either of these to QT corals or invertebres in the future? Or would they need one that never had copper or CP in it. Thinking of future qt needs.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and CP aren't absorbed by glass or silicone to any appreciable extent - though liverock, sand and other decor _can_ absorb the stuff. I got my big tank used, from a LFS who ran copper in it. I put some CupriSorb in the flow just because I'm a little bit paranoid, but corals and crabs are doing OK, so far as I can tell. (So is phytoplankton, but that's a story for another thread.) You should be able to set up one of those as a coral / invert QT without major trouble.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Susan Edwards Unfortunately, CP bought on eBay and other online sources have a history of failing to 100% eradicate. Probably because the products are not tested to ensure 99% purity like pharmaceutical grade is.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Here is some info from the link above.

99.9% pure Chlorquine Phosphate
No fillers, no binders. Certificate of Analysis from supplier available upon request.

This is a One and Done treatment
Batch #20160528 exp. 5/2021

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Susan Edwards Unfortunately, CP bought on eBay and other online sources have a history of failing to 100% eradicate. Probably because the products are not tested to ensure 99% purity like pharmaceutical grade is.

Seems like mixed advice. ;)

If you don't buy online (i.e. anonymously) doesn't that pretty much mean you have to convince a vet or pharmacy to sell to you? Is there another option?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't buy online (i.e. anonymously) doesn't that pretty much mean you have to convince a vet or pharmacy to sell to you? Is there another option?

diamondback is an online pharmacy who sources their CP from reputable places and tests it. You still need a prescription to get it from them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99.9% pure Chlorquine Phosphate
No fillers, no binders.

^^ "No binders" is suspect. CP powder usually contains a 0.5 - 1% excipient or binding agent.

This substance is formulated alongside the active ingredient, for long-term stabilization.

diamondback is an online pharmacy who sources their CP from reputable places and tests it. You still need a prescription to get it from them.
+1 Diamondback primarily sells to/through a licensed veterinarian, or to zoos, public aquariums and research institutions. They are not going to risk their reputation by selling shady CP. o_O

I'll also add this which was recently posted by @Carlos Danger:
Its crazy! My vet gave me the script and I faxed it in myself to diamond and spoke to them over the phone in length. Its nice to know that they do source from 3 places for CP. One is in Canada, one is Texas, and they do source one from overseas. The nice thing is that they triple check for purity, consistency, heavy metals, etc. I spoke to the specific person who orders it and he said their standard is always never below 99.5%. He also said he can check the batch numbers at anytime and when you order it he can cross reference from which exact place they sourced it from at that particular time so you know where your CP is from. I feel pretty good about their procedures and its definitely worth the extra money regardless.

By the way, the powder is also heat sensitive as well as light sensitive. So if you keep your stuff in the garage and it gets too hot in there it probably will degrade the powder. I learned this the hard way and wasted about 20 grams. Definitely want to keep it in a temperature controlled space, i.e. inside the house in a cabinet. Like whats been stated before, in a cool, dark, place tucked into a cabinet:)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

....so buying online isn't the problem....not knowing your source is, right? Could be the main reason to buy face to face. :)

So that's good if you have a prescription....but I think the idea was to find a place that sells without a prescription:

I found this on ebay. Looking for other avenues other than getting a prescription as it is taking so long.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to my dau who is my vet. Her problem with diamondback is they want a copy of her license which I guess she doesn't have and would have to order another from the board. Don't ask me why she doesn't have a copy.... Guess I'll see what pharmacies carry and see if she can call in to one of them Can't believe the trouble this is being. Maybe my vet at banfield (petsmart) would do this for me...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll the only alternative is to buy it from ebay but humblefish isn't sure the quality is worth it. I have some time as the fish is stuck in his qt for the next 76 days but I'd like to get him treated and done with. Who knew this would be so much angst... At least I get to watch bryopsis die in the meantime (treated tank with fluconazle last night0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back