Marine Velvet

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that wrasse are sensitive to ionic copper (e.g.: Cuprimine), but can tolerate chelated copper (e.g.: Coppersafe) well enough to be cleared of parasites.

"OP" is fairly common forum slang, and refers to "Original Poster" - in this case, that's you, Susan.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with advice already given, especially that CP is the only safe way to treat a dragonet for velvet.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I left the bio media in the hob filter in my qt and dumped in a bottle of bio-spira. I still haven't seen ammonia but its only been 3 days in QT. Just don't use the carbon cartridges, they'll remove your copper. However, you can use them after 30 days to remove the copper.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scooter blenny is in a separate qt tank due to copper. Since I moved everyone to qt on Mon? he hasn't eaten. He's always eaten frozen and comes to the turkey baster. Now he's not interested. He did spend one day in the main qt where I had added coppy. Was probably .23/.50 Raising it on the slow side. It's at 1.0 now and I just added more (will syphon more sand out tomorrow). So what do I do to get him eating. I know he was also eating copepods I think as I've found them in the rocks when I tore tank apart.

I really don't want to lose him but he can't go back to the MT if it has to go fallow

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scooter blenny is in a separate qt tank due to copper. Since I moved everyone to qt on Mon? he hasn't eaten. He's always eaten frozen and comes to the turkey baster. Now he's not interested. He did spend one day in the main qt where I had added coppy. Was probably .23/.50 Raising it on the slow side. It's at 1.0 now and I just added more (will syphon more sand out tomorrow). So what do I do to get him eating. I know he was also eating copepods I think as I've found them in the rocks when I tore tank apart.

I really don't want to lose him but he can't go back to the MT if it has to go fallow

You can try getting him on Nutrimar Ova. I think that's still available online and what a lot of people use to get their draggonets through QT.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying the baster with frozen. He knows that is food. He can't go back in the DT until he's been treated. He might not show symptoms but he's been in the DT with velvet, he can put it back in there if you don't treat him. You'll need to try and get a prescription for chloroquine phosphate from a doctor or veterinarian. That's the only thing you can treat him with. @Humblefish shared his CP knowledge with me on my velvet thread.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying the baster with frozen. He knows that is food. He can't go back in the DT until he's been treated. He might not show symptoms but he's been in the DT with velvet, he can put it back in there if you don't treat him. You'll need to try and get a prescription for chloroquine phosphate from a doctor or veterinarian. That's the only thing you can treat him with. @Humblefish shared his CP knowledge with me on my velvet thread.

I'm doing so. I ordered some of the other food, the Nutrimar Ova. Should be here on Friday. Trying to get hold of dau for the CP.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exposure to copper, although brief and at a low level, might have done some "damage" to the scooter.

@Susan Edwards If you were to put him back in the DT, could you easily catch him again once the Nutramar Ova & CP arrived? (Dragonets are easy to catch at night while in their sleeping cocoon.) You wouldn't be able to officially start your fallow period until after he's out, but I'm thinking some time in the DT with pods may be what he needs right now to recover.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the scooter is happy. Crawling around newly scaped tank, pecking here and there. And tonight, he ate some of what I squirted from the t baster. Even though it delays things (what's a week or so in this hobby...) I'm keeping him in here for a week to get back to being healthy and not scrawny. When the cp arrives, will add to the sm qt ready and put him in for his qt time. 30 days, correct? After the copper crew are done and the copper removed, he can go back with his buddies. After the initial qt time is over for all fish, while waiting for tank to fallow, the qt tank, once clear of copper just becomes a temp tank. Might get a few pcs of new, clean dry rock so it's more normal.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the scooter is happy. Crawling around newly scaped tank, pecking here and there. And tonight, he ate some of what I squirted from the t baster. Even though it delays things (what's a week or so in this hobby...) I'm keeping him in here for a week to get back to being healthy and not scrawny. When the cp arrives, will add to the sm qt ready and put him in for his qt time. 30 days, correct? After the copper crew are done and the copper removed, he can go back with his buddies. After the initial qt time is over for all fish, while waiting for tank to fallow, the qt tank, once clear of copper just becomes a temp tank. Might get a few pcs of new, clean dry rock so it's more normal.

You might want to consider keeping him isolated for the duration, so there's no competition for food. It's going to take a lot of supplemental feeding for him to make it 76 days with no pods. o_O

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider keeping him isolated for the duration, so there's no competition for food. It's going to take a lot of supplemental feeding for him to make it 76 days with no pods. o_O

Good point. What's funny is he's always eaten frozen but lately I had notice not as interested and doing more rock pecking. Guess the pods I added months ago that I thought didn't survive had at least some survive. Should post a pic to be sure what I've seen are pods....

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh. I still don't have the CP. My dau, who is a vet, but doing relief work part time, not part of a practice per se, is having trouble getting it--because the place to get it is canadian based I think--have to call her again. She's hesitant to give out her license as there are a lot of places that then use a vet's license number "in house" so to speak. She's going to do some more research to see if she can find a place here (US) to get it. Because it is a malaria drug, maybe there is another derivitate.

So, in case I can't treat the scooter blenny with cp, what are the risks of just leaving him in my "fallow" tank for the 76 days. It's not really fallow with him in it but he's the only one. He was treated with a freshwater dip (did not like that at all!) and Rally's and a week or two in a qt tank by himself. Even almost a day with weak copper and back to his solitary tank before putting him back in the DT due to not eating.

Also, with the QT with copper treatment, do I do water changes? And if so, how do I know how much copper to add back in? Took forever to get it up to the theraputic dose.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the risks of just leaving him in my "fallow" tank for the 76 days.
Well it's pretty certain that velvet will remain in your tank as long as the scooter is in there. I'm sorry, but as long as there is a fish to host, the parasite will continue it's lifecycle and remain in the tank.
Also, with the QT with copper treatment, do I do water changes? And if so, how do I know how much copper to add back in?
Yes, you will need to do water changes any time your ammonia badge reads anything but safe (yellow). You'll remove water and poo and left over food. Add copper to the new water BEFORE it goes into the QT. You can start with the recommended dose on the bottle, then test the new water before adding it. Continue to add copper until it's where you need it. Remember that total amount for the next water change.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back