• Maxspect Gyre

Votes: 175 49.0%

• Total voters

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the mp40s. I run two Tunze 6095s on the sides and two Tunze 6055 on the back and the Gyre 150 on one side in a 150g. Run them opposite of each with APEX. I run the together in the AM and Gyre only in the PM. I have 170 pounds of very Large Pukani rock in my DT so I need all the flow I can get.

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortec cause this is what happens to the gyre wires killed everything in my 180 vortec has no electric so I like it better

FB_IMG_1457185974787.jpg

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the first XF150 model on the side wall when they came out , I was not totally satisfied with the controller and the pump was not totally silent at that time without the silent block.
I have actually two MP40QD running on the backwall controlled by the Apex.
Comparing the new Gyre with the MP40QD, I would like to give a try with the gyre alternating (reverse) mode in same place were I have actually the two MP40QD to blow away the accumulation of detritus under the pumps.

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 540 sps dominated setup and hands down the mp60s create way more flow than the gyre setup I see in my friends 450 setup and that was with nothing in the tank just setting it up....hands down the mp60s clearly will be a better long term solution when it comes to life expectancy, investment, residual value, and overall sound choices

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that the Gyre has been out for a bit I thought it would be cool to do a poll about them, this poll is mostly for people who have had both of them but others can still vote. After owning both tyoes if pumps, which pump did you like better and why? For those that have not had both, based on your research which pump would you buy? Please post which type of voter you are, have owned both, have only had one of them or you have had neither but have researched them both.

Untitled-2.jpg
I Love my Ecotech Vortech 2 MP60WQD & 1 MP40WQD, quiet and flow adjustable with battery backup to boot!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. Do yourself a favor and go with the vortech. My gyre barely was in service 3 months out of the 1st year warranty period. I would fix one thing and another would break. Coralvue/maxspect would send me directions on what to fix or replace/service, but in reality it was a dud and I should have been refunded. I won't by anything that involves a pump for coralvue or maxpect any more. (and I buy lots of $$$).

At this point...Jaebo pumps I have run proved to be more reliable than the gyre...and that's more of an insult to the gyre than a compliment to the jaebo.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gyres also help prevent blenny decapitation through the new included nylon mesh covers. One of my starry blennys decided to perch inside the mp60 housing during feed mode and was subsequently blended :(

That's my number one complaint with the vortechs. I frequently have my pumps slowing down (even turning off at times) during the day and I have lost a few small fish this way...fortunately it does not happen often but the design of the vortech is such that you almost need to never have it shut off to be completely safe, and I like doing creative things with my pumps that require shutting them off at certain times of the day while others ramp up.

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead thread, arise!

Now that there are several more months of experience with the new versions of both the Vortechs and Gyres, does anyone have any updates as to which they prefer?

I'm planning a new build, likely the Red Sea Reefer 750, which is a 160g rimless display, 71" length. I'm trying to decide between these two, but it's difficult because a lot of people are giving their experience based on prior generation models, and I know there have been significant improvements to both. I'm using earlier model MP10W and MP40W now on a 75g and they are ok. They work well but are noisy and unreliable (I've had many opportunities to experience excellent EcoTech support), but to be fair I know the new models have been greatly improved.

I want to integrate with my Apex. If I went with the gyre would I want one on each side? Does the new controller work well to coordinate them, for example with alternating flow mode to switch the current every few min (and hopefully reduce the chance of a wandering inhabitant getting sucked in irreversibly)? In my earlier model MP's I could never get them to coordinate properly on each side of my 48" length current tank despite sync'ing them.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience comparing the new versions of these pumps.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used Vortech but I dont think I will do to. I am satisfied with Gyre and presently i am using one XF150 and one XF250 in the new controller of XF250 and running on own 24hr programme cycle.

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a rumor that the new Maxspect gyre controllers have WiFi built in and will at some point be directly controllable by Apex without the current awkward IceCap module workaround. Does anyone have any more info about this?

Fishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the MP40WES (not QD) and i liked them, Ecotech customer service is the best.
outside of a few minor issues it has been a quality product. Also no power cord in the tank is great.
Cons:
It does causing hazing on the glass , I've seen this in few different tanks.
another con for a lazy reefer , is at times I can go a while without cleaning. during this phase the vortech output is significantly diminished..

I decided to skip the first gen Gyre and got the XF250.
the controller functionality is not even close between the MP40's via reef link and the Gyre. Ecotech wins hands down.
The gyre seems like a beta controller, buggy , some settings don't save. I am now going through a controller replacement and coralvue support has been very good far.
Pros:
The flow of the gyre is incredible. I don't like the horizontal flow as much even though it looks great at lower settings , it doesn't do much in the middle of the tank (where the coral are). I instead do an AA or BB and make it vertical in the Gyre mode and BOOM i can ramp up the power and this thing pushes some serious water while keeping the surface agitated.
and in my few months of owning it , i haven't seen any drop-off in flow as its gets dirty when compared to the Vortech.

Noise has been good on both, the gyre is tad quieter cause i don't need to align things.

I feel the Gyre has more upside once they tweak the software ...but if a full cleaning is needed i am afraid to break things...sure the website make it looks easy ...but it never really is. The gyre also comes with many spare parts so thats another plus...

Barring any quality issues i plan to stick with Gyre's

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead thread, arise!

Now that there are several more months of experience with the new versions of both the Vortechs and Gyres, does anyone have any updates as to which they prefer?

I'm planning a new build, likely the Red Sea Reefer 750, which is a 160g rimless display, 71" length. I'm trying to decide between these two, but it's difficult because a lot of people are giving their experience based on prior generation models, and I know there have been significant improvements to both. I'm using earlier model MP10W and MP40W now on a 75g and they are ok. They work well but are noisy and unreliable (I've had many opportunities to experience excellent EcoTech support), but to be fair I know the new models have been greatly improved.

I want to integrate with my Apex. If I went with the gyre would I want one on each side? Does the new controller work well to coordinate them, for example with alternating flow mode to switch the current every few min (and hopefully reduce the chance of a wandering inhabitant getting sucked in irreversibly)? In my earlier model MP's I could never get them to coordinate properly on each side of my 48" length current tank despite sync'ing them.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience comparing the new versions of these pumps.
Still love me Gyre, have not had any problems with it and just one is enough for my entire tank

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry Shep I posted My query in the wrong place. I did start another thread stating my specific problem. Thanks for asking !

Back