OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly dose the prazi, but that's only going to treat for flukes and other external worms. It's not a bad idea to treat for flukes on all new fish. But the cause of the swelling on the eye is something we want to know. Is it just one eye or both? Is it cloudy? Odds are there is ick in the tank now and the swelling is from that. You'll want to treat the cause to keep it from happening again or getting worse. You may need to treat the fish with antibiotics to get it to heal, but for now we can treat the cause and see if his immune system can heal it on it's own.

It is only one eye and it is not cloudy. So if I dose copper do I have to get another tank to do the ttm? Also are clownfish or blennies sensitive to copper? Can I dose prazi and copper at the same time? Thank you all so much for your help!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is only one eye and it is not cloudy. So if I dose copper do I have to get another tank to do the ttm? Also are clownfish or blennies sensitive to copper? Can I dose prazi and copper at the same time? Thank you all so much for your help!

No, you would do one or the other, not both. If you can't do TTM properly, then do the copper. It's up to you to choose the one that you can pull off. You can do prazi and copper together, though I recommend doing them separately unless you have no other choice. It's never wise to combine meds unless it's necessary. Clownfish and blennys will do fine in copper so no worries there. You'll want to take a few days to raise the levels so as not to shock the fish, but generally they do fine.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your sick fish ninja. Melypr1985 is on point and will give you the best advice. You can beat it and save your fish :) Its always a good idea to have some meds on hand. Prazi, metroplex, coppersafe, salifert copper test kit.

Prazi is dewormer, metroplex is antibacterial, coppersafe is anti-parasitic.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one of my clownfish keeps on shaking it's body as if it is haveing a little seizure for a couple seconds and then stops. Should I be worried about this?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the LFS and they said they only have cupermine. Will that work instead of coppersafe?

It's fine, just be a little more cautious with it as I feel it's harsher on the fish than coppersafe.

Also one of my clownfish keeps on shaking it's body as if it is haveing a little seizure for a couple seconds and then stops. Should I be worried about this?

This is probably unrelated. Clowns will do this as a submissive behavior. He's submitting to the female which is a good thing. I call it the "clownfish shimmy"

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine, just be a little more cautious with it as I feel it's harsher on the fish than coppersafe.

This is probably unrelated. Clowns will do this as a submissive behavior. He's submitting to the female which is a good thing. I call it the "clownfish shimmy"

Ok great! I was getting worried there.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I still need to get a copper test kit if I am using cupermine instead of copper safe?
Yes you definitely want a test kit to be sure you are at therapeutic levels and not overdosing. If you use cupramine you will want the seachem or salifert test kit though.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said that they only have the API copper test kit. So I will have to hope that Petco has the seachem one.

Whatever they tell you, don't get the API kit with cupramine. It won't work to measure ionic copper as it doesn't measure low enough.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stores near me sell copper test kits so should I go the ttm?

It won't address the possibility of this being velvet. Neither hypo or TTM will treat velvet. Can you get on Amazon and order it right now or ask a few friends if they have a test kit you can borrow? Got a local reef club? Even if you arn't a member you can get on there and ask for a favor.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can order it online but am worried that by the time it gets here it will be too late. Could I get the copper and just start a very low dose until the test kit gets here? Is there any way for me to identify if it is much or velvet?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can order it online but am worried that by the time it gets here it will be too late. Could I get the copper and just start a very low dose until the test kit gets here? Is there any way for me to identify if it is much or velvet?

Ick and velvet can be difficult to tell apart. We cant' always ascertain which it is and recommend copper because it treats both. You can start the copper today and order the kit, but I would have the kit shipped next day so it arrives as quickly as possible.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back