Midas Blenny with a big white spot…

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start the copper today and order the kit, but I would have the kit shipped next day so it arrives as quickly as possible.

+1 Following directions on the bottle will get you started, but still use a test kit to confirm therapeutic levels have been achieved (and are being maintained) during the 30 day treatment period. FYI; Therapeutic range for Cupramine is 0.35 - 0.5 ppm.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the API test kit not effective for copper safe either?

API is only useful for reading copper in the high range (>1.0 ppm); Therapeutic range for chelated copper (ex. Coppersafe) is 1.5 - 2.0 ppm, so API copper test kit will measure that just fine.

Cupramine, however, is low range ionic copper (0.35 - 0.5 ppm). While API can technically read it, you will get a more accurate reading using a low range copper test kit such as Seachem or Salifert.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0823.JPG

This is all Petco had but it says it is Chelated Copper so I think it should work.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directions read that you should use 1 teaspoon for every 4 gallons of water so should I start with a half dose?

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the copper aid or cupramine? I would raise the level up to therapeutic over few days. So a half dose today, test, and a half dose Monday

I am using the kordon brand of copper aid. Should I dose a half dose of both prazipro and copper aid tonight?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the kordon brand of copper aid. Should I dose a half dose of both prazipro and copper aid tonight?

No. Just the copper. Get that up to therapeutic before worrying about the prazi.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help! I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but I added some ceramic rings from my display tank to seed the quarantine tank. Do I need to remove the bioballs before I dose copper?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help! I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but I added some ceramic rings from my display tank to seed the quarantine tank. Do I need to remove the bioballs before I dose copper?
Nope, you should leave those in there to help control ammonia in your QT. Just realize that you don't want to ever put them back into your DT.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say do a copper test, or refer to the directions of this particular Medication. Dose the copper safely while doing it effectively to kill the parasites. Sounds like your using an unpopular med with an unpopular test kit. So there is further risks involved.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I am getting the API test kit tomorrow so I will test it then and if all is well add some more. Is there anything else I can do at this point or do I just have to trust that the copper is doing its job?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I am getting the API test kit tomorrow so I will test it then and if all is well add some more. Is there anything else I can do at this point or do I just have to trust that the copper is doing its job?

Technically the copper isn't doing it's job until the levels are up to therapeutic ranges, but for now you can focus on keeping the fish eating and keeping any ammonia down.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will actually pick the test kit up today. My ammonia is at 0.25 so I am going to do a water change. After the water change when i test for copper what level should I try to get it at?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will actually pick the test kit up today. My ammonia is at 0.25 so I am going to do a water change. After the water change when i test for copper what level should I try to get it at?

What did you use to test for ammonia? I'm not saying that it isn't there, but the liquid test kits can give you false positives and read inaccurately. I would aim to keep the copper level the same or a little higher until you have the test kit.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humble posted the levels already 1.5-2ppm is the level you want to maintain only after gradually raising.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back