Might Buy Used 300g Acrylic - What to watch for?

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to buy a used 300g acrylic tank for $400. I've never had an acrylic tank before. It's got some light scratches. 8 foot long.

What are some things I need to look for when inspecting a used tank of this size?

Is that a fair price for it, if it's in decent shape? I don't mind polishing a bit. More concerned it was built with thick enough panels and was fused together correctly, but I don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great deal. You'll want to check all along the bottom & side seams for bubbles or cracks. Needs to be no smaller than 3/4", preferably 1" acrylic for that size tank. The thicker the better. Even though it's acrylic it will still be very heavy. My 185 was over 200lbs. I know there are some acrylic experts on the list that can help out more. I would say 4 people to move, one at each corner.
#reefsquad

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a 8' 240 i bought a few states over. got it used this was in my early days of reefing so I did not know much.

I would like to know how made it so you can get an idea of general reviews and reefers feed back.

size of side panels/bottom euro braced.

how old is it. is it yelowing ?

I think depending on who made it how old it is and tank condition its a pretty good deal.

you will love how light that tank is compared to a glass of equal size me and one guy moved the 240 no problem.

best of luck!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back