Most Hard To Keep Zoa/Paly List

Reefinginpasadena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Thread i would agree with all the types of zoas/palys mentioned so far i cant think of any others to add from my experience and the from the types i have had those are hard to keep! i have had OPEs before and they lived for ever no growth and then melted away but i have new ones we will see how they do. As for as PEs i have had ok experiences with the types i have had.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPE
PPRPE
Bleeding Hearts
Strawberry Shortcakes
Samhians
Nightmares
Armagedons

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!

so far i have not had any problems at all with any of my zoas all of mine seem to grow and open just fine. I would say i am nearing about 50 morphs with no problems with any. I do have about 5-6 different PE's and i do have a small colony of 60ish ATL Tripple Reds, and a few other unknown micro zoas, tubbs, kedds, rose nebulas, purple deaths, nuc greens. With no problems.

I do think that you need a seperate tank for zoas, softies, shrooms, for them to really thrive. Keeping them in a tank where you are trying to keep the water perfect for your SPS,LPS and delicates, your zoas usually (and i said usually) won't thrive.

my 2 cents.

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay well so far for me the hard ones to keep.
-Armageddons, didnt have the frag that long. 2 days max.
-Jokers - Asterinas ate about 3 polyps a week. I documented the recession on them.
-Nightmares- Asterinas also tended to like, documented some recession, the stars would be hanging out on them and have bite marks with zoa goo comin out.
as far as PE, i have had success with every PE i have kept. Maybe higher light intensity works best for them. I keep a 250 radium over a 16" tank and all PE do fine.
PPE, PPRPE, Milkway, Desert Fox, most of the named PE's in this thread that dont do well i have kept and have grown pretty good
Can people also list there water conditions and ligthing/flow so we can further research the problem?
250w radium, 16" tank,
calc- 425
alk- 8.8
mah- 1250.
I think levels and lighting/flow matter a lot in this type of thread.

NVTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth Maul is the one melting on me.

Preston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who has had continued success with the Armageddon?

If you have success then what's your secret? I bought maybe 5 different frags from different people and everytime it would melt away. I love to know the secret. BTW willing to give it another try if you have a frag.

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with the Caribbean. They need lots of waterflow and really high light to thrive.

I had bad luck with the Deepwater Zoos. The only ones that lived were the ones that look like Watermelons. Whoopty Do

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay well so far for me the hard ones to keep.
-Armageddons, didnt have the frag that long. 2 days max.
-Jokers - Asterinas ate about 3 polyps a week. I documented the recession on them.
-Nightmares- Asterinas also tended to like, documented some recession, the stars would be hanging out on them and have bite marks with zoa goo comin out.
as far as PE, i have had success with every PE i have kept. Maybe higher light intensity works best for them. I keep a 250 radium over a 16" tank and all PE do fine.
PPE, PPRPE, Milkway, Desert Fox, most of the named PE's in this thread that dont do well i have kept and have grown pretty good
Can people also list there water conditions and ligthing/flow so we can further research the problem?
250w radium, 16" tank,
calc- 425
alk- 8.8
mah- 1250.
I think levels and lighting/flow matter a lot in this type of thread.

No offense, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of the Asterinas rather than documenting them as they tear into your expensive polyps? Just curious...

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have a harlequin shrimp and i pull them out manually. I was just stating those ones were harder to keep BECAUSE of the asterinas. I didnt want to just say i had problems with them and not why.
So the ones i stated were dieing because of the asterinas i documented it because i want to show that asterinas are bad, and hopefully see some growth and not further recessiion. Maybe the asterinas arent bad and the zoas are just dieing. From what i have seen there are bite marks when i pull the zoas off.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the Armageddons to be tricky in the past. Now once I place them I leave them where they are. They don't seem to care much for fragging and being moved. I think that initial placement is the trick to keeping them. They seem to enjoy lots of flow and high lighting. I keep mine in a flow area that keeps the polyps moving back and forth and right under the lighting.

reefreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth Mauls

Attachments

• post-2394-1226592255_thumb.jpg
    post-2394-1226592255_thumb.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 229

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very little success with my cosmic queens...they always eventually melt.

RadReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have over 100 different morphs but after moving twice I am now down to probably 20. Almost all of my high-end stuff melted and now I'm left with eagle eye type zoanthids among others. My tubbs are doing great though, I have about 50+ of those.

RadReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that some zoanthids and palythoas actually like "dirty" water with higher nitrates and detritus. I know that azooxanthellae uses nitrates in it's metabolic processes and that could be one reason that a zoa/paly could die if the water was too clean. Just something to ponder about.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has mentioned sopranos..
For me, Yellow Jackets and Wow palys, my campfires seem to be following the same path..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back