My 180g peninsula build

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following really cool
I never qt a cuc since parasites wont stick to them a rinse of same temp water should be fine
Add the cuc once your tank is finished its cycle
Make sure to feed them until they can survive on their own

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making water...

IMG_0352.JPG

Pretty much spent all day to paint my "water closet" and put my finishing touches on.. plus two trips to town for plumbing I didn't have.. (I live about ten miles from town).. but I got it done..

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy week, still waiting on the tank and stand to arrive but plenty to do to prepare.

First off I assembled my skimmer and got it running in water/vinegar.
IMG_0396.JPG

Next, my wife picked up a tank for me from PetCo. Gonna try and use it for my QT system. Trying to cycle it with the Red Sea Mature Pro system. Going good so far.
IMG_0397.JPG

Got my Rain 2 ATS in. Looks good
IMG_0398.JPG

Pretty much have every major component in, all the plumbing, just need the tank!! Still lots to do as far as water change ATO, dosing, and other thinks I'm sure I haven't even thought of. But I am ready for a tank. Hopefully next week sometime.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following along for the ride. It is looking like a great build so far!

Great to have you along..

Nice build thread going on here

Thanks!!

Feel free to point out mistakes or make suggestions.. I am greener than algae at this.. 90% of my knowledge came from the people on this forum..

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!! Go to pick up my tank and stand Thursday!!
Fish Pros Amarillo Tx. Anthony and John are great guys to work with.. Really helped me out a lot..

Finally pulled the trigger on lights........... AI Hydra 52's. 2 too begin with but will add a third soon..

Not a lot of work to do till the tank arrives but I have been "tinkering"

IMG_0421.JPG

Had to add a booster pump to my RO/DI system..

IMG_0428.JPG

Got the fitting converted to standard sizes on my roller filter..

IMG_0429.JPG

And started playing around with stand ideas for my Rain 2 ATS...

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

Unless there is a problem I should get to make the 300 mile round trip journey to pick up my tank and stand this afternoon...

And maybe have a steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo!!

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasty weather but got the tank and stand home!!

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Also got the flooring completed today!!

IMG_0105.JPG

Enough is enough tho. Going to bed. Better pics tomorrow..

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got started tonight...so where do you start??? The beginning... the Thelieng Roller Mat.
I knew all along I didn't have enough height to put it over the sump but the drain has to be over 9 1/2 inches.
Now I'm not a guy that can "visualize" this kind of stuff, I pretty much gotta have it in front of me to lay it out and come up with a solid plan.. so I put the stand up on a bench and put the sump and roller filter in.

IMG_0441.JPG

Did some measuring and decided on a 9" stand
Dusted off my fabbing skills and went to work.......
IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

Been years since I have done any aluminum welding. To say I struggled a little would be a understatement...

IMG_0107.JPG

But I got'er done...

IMG_0448.JPG

And started planning the next step.. got to drill a hole in the side of my sump for the roller filter to drain into, but that won't be a problem..

IMG_0450.JPG

Enough for tonight.. tomorrow is Christmas at the in-laws, but maybe can get a little work done tomorrow night..

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the shop after a day with family..

Project for tonight... light rack..

I want a free standing peninsula style tank.. clean look, so some reinforcements are in order..

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

At this point I have pretty much decided I WAY over engineered this mount but I am committed so nothing to do but plow on ahead.. gonna be uber stout I am thinking..

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

Ok it's late enough. Gonna call it quits... for some help lined up for tomorrow hopefully get to move it all into the house and set the tank..

Merry Christmas all!!!

P.S. love this 80/20 but still think it is over priced........

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0502.JPG
Tank is in the house and on the stand.

Wind was bowing like crazy today so we had a hard time getting things done. Had a bit of a disaster with the stand when the wind caught one of the doors

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Can't make a omelette unless you break a few eggs right?? I'll call the cabinet maker Tuesday and order a new door.

Got the electrical all wired up but need some tie downs and a box cover.

Start plumbing tomorrow.

Now a question. The drains they shipped with the tank are durso style. Should I change to herbie style?? I am thinking I should but not sure if it's worth it or not.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0502.JPG
Tank is in the house and on the stand.

Wind was bowing like crazy today so we had a hard time getting things done. Had a bit of a disaster with the stand when the wind caught one of the doors

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Can't make a omelette unless you break a few eggs right?? I'll call the cabinet maker Tuesday and order a new door.

Got the electrical all wired up but need some tie downs and a box cover.

Start plumbing tomorrow.

Now a question. The drains they shipped with the tank are durso style. Should I change to herbie style?? I am thinking I should but not sure if it's worth it or not.

I like the herbie method with the backup stand pipe not sure if you want to be drilling another hole into the bottom of the tank
but i feel you get a quieter drain, less detritus in the overflow and adds controlled flow through the sump

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the herbie method with the backup stand pipe not sure if you want to be drilling another hole into the bottom of the tank
but i feel you get a quieter drain, less detritus in the overflow and adds controlled flow through the sump

Sorry guess I should have been more specific.. this tank has dual Durso drain pipes 1 1/4".. and dual return. So I could convert this to Herbie style fairly easily I am thinking. But is 1 full flow drain enough for this size of a tank?? How much added flow do you get from the overflow on a herbie??

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guess I should have been more specific.. this tank has dual Durso drain pipes 1 1/4".. and dual return. So I could convert this to Herbie style fairly easily I am thinking. But is 1 full flow drain enough for this size of a tank?? How much added flow do you get from the overflow on a herbie??

The stand pipe drain is in case the herbie gets clogged i wouldn't set it up without the backup since the herbie is low its prone to clogging anything can do it a snail a fish whatever
Flow depends on the return pump and how much you restrict the cutoff valve
Good flow is good (one of the reasons so detritus and other bad stuff doesn't settle)
but to much flow is bad (the point of a sump is to let the water go through algae bacteria skimmer or whatever else you have in there)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back