OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some research, looks to me like 1" pvc (the smallest restriction in my line) will flow 960 gph under gravity. So which the hydraulic effect I will get from "necking down" I am guesstimating I can get around 1000 gph max drain flow. (Which is more than my roller filter will handle 600 gph) so I am going to go with the Herbie drain system.

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank build will be following, where are you from? I usually go to fish pros also but haven't really meet anyone in the area

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you guys control it with a ball valve on the bottom end of the drain

Thanks!! That's exactly what I'm gonna do..
IMG_0504.JPG

The ball valve before the roller filter is going to get changed to a gate valve this morning..

Nice tank build will be following, where are you from? I usually go to fish pros also but haven't really meet anyone in the area

I'm from liberal.. even further from nowhere than you!!!!
Glad to have you along

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! That's exactly what I'm gonna do..
IMG_0504.JPG

The ball valve before the roller filter is going to get changed to a gate valve this morning..

Very nice plumbing

Any specific reasons why i thought gate valves constrict flow which can make it go faster i know you will be fine tuning it so that it works out but why the swap

Another question it doesn't look like you have much clearance on the top of the roller mat (i don't have one so i don't know much about them) im assuming you swap the "rolls" from the top, how are you going to do that with so little room are you going to remove the whole thing every time?

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice plumbing

Any specific reasons why i thought gate valves constrict flow which can make it go faster i know you will be fine tuning it so that it works out but why the swap

Another question it doesn't look like you have much clearance on the top of the roller mat (i don't have one so i don't know much about them) im assuming you swap the "rolls" from the top, how are you going to do that with so little room are you going to remove the whole thing every time?

Fine tuning is why I want the gate valves on the main drain line. They are just a lot easier to change "a little bit". The ball valve is just dry fit on right now. I thought I had two gate valves but turns out I just had the one (sigh.... one more trip to the hardware store)

Lol, your right about the clearance on the roller filter. Just barely enough, I mean it's a squeeze!! But I can get the lid off and the rolls out for a change. If that turns out to be to much of a pain then two unions and the whole thing comes out and I can service it outside the stand..

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, your right about the clearance on the roller filter. Just barely enough, I mean it's a squeeze!! But I can get the lid off and the rolls out for a change. If that turns out to be to much of a pain then two unions and the whole thing comes out and I can service it outside the stand..

Oh i can see it being a pain already every how long does the average tank (your size) need to swap them out
Assuming your not over feeding etc etc..

I see you split the drain is the other end going into a sock or pre filter chamber (after spending all that money (on the roller mat) it would be a shame to get detritus back into your tank (or your doing it for the little critters)

Also the drain split is first going to your sump don't you think heavier dirt will fall into the sump being thats the first exit

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i can see it being a pain already every how long does the average tank (your size) need to swap them out
Assuming your not over feeding etc etc..

I see you split the drain is the other end going into a sock or pre filter chamber (after spending all that money (on the roller mat) it would be a shame to get detritus back into your tank (or your doing it for the little critters)

Also the drain split is first going to your sump don't you think heavier dirt will fall into the sump being thats the first exit

The roller mat can only handle 600 gph. Now I am hoping that I can leave the valve to the sump closed but wanted to give myself options.

I hope the flow is enough to carry the majority of the heavies to the roller Matt if the valve is open. But you will end up with some going to the sump. That's why I plumbed it there so I could put it into a sock if the need is there.

Plus with the set up that way I can take the roller Matt out for service or repair (long term) if I need to.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, I like the DIY work also. Did not think of using electrical boxes to pull my lines through

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question did u decide on the Durso or the herbee method? I forgot u had the roller mat and if ur going herbie it will be interesting to see how it will work for u as u have all those connections and flat runs where they say u would want it straight into the sump.
The other idea that just hit me was u could t off from ur return pump to feed the roller mat if this way does not work. Flip the sump around so the water drains right into the sump area then u can still keep the roller mat there and feed it with ur return pump or a small 600gph pump in the sump just a thought
I really am enjoying ur build

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question did u decide on the Durso or the herbee method? I forgot u had the roller mat and if ur going herbie it will be interesting to see how it will work for u as u have all those connections and flat runs where they say u would want it straight into the sump.
The other idea that just hit me was u could t off from ur return pump to feed the roller mat if this way does not work. Flip the sump around so the water drains right into the sump area then u can still keep the roller mat there and feed it with ur return pump or a small 600gph pump in the sump just a thought
I really am enjoying ur build

The reason I put the sump on the far end is I want all the cords i.e. Lights, power heads, ect feeding up the drain end of the tank. The problem I was running into was if I put the sump right under the drains then I quickly ran out of length on most cords. This has been a real head scratcher for me. The only solution I could come up with was to put the sump and filter on the far end and plumb to it.. I also read where you should avoid horizontal runs but I am up against a wall and see no other options that I liked.

I am going with the hrebie style drains I'll post pics when I get that far.

If this turns into a complete failure I am setting up a manifold system that I can run the roller filter off of. But they recommend it be the first thing from your drain.

Also they say the roll of filter mat will last 2 to 4 months depending on tank size and bioload.

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you are even further. Any type of stocking list?

No solid plans yet. A couple of clowns that I have in the QT tank now
IMG_0440.JPG

After that I'll probably let my wife and kiddo pick as long as they are compatible. I have been letting them do the research on the fish to help keep them involved and interested since there is not much they can/will do as far as setup is concerned. I do know I want to try a pair of juvenile tangs and a dragon mandarin but those are both a long ways off.

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No solid plans yet. A couple of clowns that I have in the QT tank now
IMG_0440.JPG

After that I'll probably let my wife and kiddo pick as long as they are compatible. I have been letting them do the research on the fish to help keep them involved and interested since there is not much they can/will do as far as setup is concerned. I do know I want to try a pair of juvenile tangs and a dragon mandarin but those are both a long ways off.
Are you planning reef or fowler system?? I have some connections and willing to help when your ready

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens to the roller mat if u put more then 600 gph thru it does it overflow?

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens to the roller mat if u put more then 600 gph thru it does it overflow?

It works off a float switch when the dirt clogs the mat it raises the water level and it rolls on a fresh part if you have to much flow it will fill and activate the float switch

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works off a float switch when the dirt clogs the mat it raises the water level and it rolls on a fresh part if you have to much flow it will fill and activate the float switch
Hum that actually stinks then. When it comes to plumbing

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back