OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using the decapsulated from seahorsesource three days ago. Much easier and less mess.

We were into the second round of enrichment (maybe an hour) when we noticed that there didn't appear to be any BBS swimmers. How important is it to sieve the solution after blending? I've tried selcon a few times, too, but not consistently.

If you feed too much, you can crash your culture. You need to follow the directions to a tee. I have always sieved the solution after blending... there are large particles left in the solution that you don't want in there with your BBS.

Also, make sure you don't have a light on them while you're enriching. The light causes them to use their energy much faster, making them less nutritious.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post it all. I'm still debating exactly how I want to set up my tank. One thing I know is that I don't have the time to try and raise fry at least not right now. I think I might get two males or two females to start with so I don't have to worry about it.

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post it all. I'm still debating exactly how I want to set up my tank. One thing I know is that I don't have the time to try and raise fry at least not right now. I think I might get two males or two females to start with so I don't have to worry about it.

That is definitely what I'd recommend! Some people have mated pairs that have babies every two weeks, and every two weeks hundreds of little eyes get flushed down the toilet. It is horrible... I strongly encourage everyone without a proper rearing setup to get all of the same sex until they're ready.

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is remarkable ..they look so cool little baby seahorses how many did you get their and what is the mortality rate like ?

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is remarkable ..they look so cool little baby seahorses how many did you get their and what is the mortality rate like ?

Thanks!

The survival rate varies... I am VERY lucky to have this much success as a first try. I am getting the hang of it, and I attribute most of my success to OCD. LOL. :) I've been very meticulous from day one. I clean the tank almost daily (at most I will go 2 days without cleaning... very rarely do I do this), and I've not missed a water change in 6 weeks (I do 5g daily now that they're on frozen).

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The survival rate varies... I am VERY lucky to have this much success as a first try.
I only had ( 1 ) survive to 3.5 weeks with my first batch.

Lets see those pictures

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a Mod please move this to the new Seahorse/Pipefish section?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for moving my thread! :)

Sorry I haven't updated as I said I would... it has been hectic lately! We are moving soon, so I've been packing up my stuff getting ready for the "big day."

My biggest male is pregnant... again. I am going to be putting them with the 2 week olds. They should be fine in that tank until my newest system is set up for growout of older fry.

This is what I was thinking for my new system:

2 x 29g Tall tanks plumbed down to a 54g rubbermaid tub. The overfows in the tanks will be a standpipe with a sponge filter keeping the fry from entering the overflow. I was thinking like a mag 5 for the return, which I will essentially just hang on the back.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider with a mag pump is the heat added. If on a chilled system, it shouldn't be a problem, but if not, it could raise temp a few degrees or more. They are good for dialing back, if needed, though (ball valve on outlet side of pump). Keep us posted. I'm not having the success you are and yet my house is steadily filling up with new water filled vessels for this endeavor:). I've wondered, what happens when I do keep the majority alive... And if the second pair start breeding...

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! It's like you almost need a microscope to see the babies! I guess you have to have very little to no flow so that they are able to swim around. Very cool!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered, what happens when I do keep the majority alive... And if the second pair start breeding...

Thats a good point. Brooksreef, what will you do with all the little ones when they grow up? Do you have an lfs that will take them in?

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider with a mag pump is the heat added. If on a chilled system, it shouldn't be a problem, but if not, it could raise temp a few degrees or more. They are good for dialing back, if needed, though (ball valve on outlet side of pump). Keep us posted. I'm not having the success you are and yet my house is steadily filling up with new water filled vessels for this endeavor:). I've wondered, what happens when I do keep the majority alive... And if the second pair start breeding...

Thanks for the info with the Mags. I will definitely keep that in mind when setting it up!

Thats a good point. Brooksreef, what will you do with all the little ones when they grow up? Do you have an lfs that will take them in?

I will answer glat's question here since you asked the same thing. :)

I do plan to sell them off as I go. I will being selling at 3-4 months if they are a good size, and keep selling from that point on. Here in Austin, Seahorses seem to be a very hot interest. I have quite a few reserved, though I will most likely have half of the people that have asked me to hold them actually come and get them. As far as selling them to a LFS, I know the owners of our two main LFS here in Austin, and I am sure they would love to take some. Honestly, I haven't brought it up, but both of them are well aware of my ongoings.

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture update coming... eventually.

Had a little die off recently with my older brood, which are now approaching 9 and 10 weeks (very exciting)!! I lost about 6 this week. :'( However, the ones that are still alive seem to be going through a major growth spurt. Last week they are just about an inch at most, this week they are 1.5"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture update coming... eventually.

Had a little die off recently with my older brood, which are now approaching 9 and 10 weeks (very exciting)!! I lost about 6 this week. :'( However, the ones that are still alive seem to be going through a major growth spurt. Last week they are just about an inch at most, this week they are 1.5"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get discouraged. They aren't all meant to live. You are giving all of them the best possible chance with your care.

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI everyone! Haven't posted in a LONG time!! Myself and my family have been incredibly busy, and now that school is almost over, we're even busier!!

Anyways, all of the babies are doing well... now. About 3 weeks ago I went out of town for 4 days on a tennis tournament, and my "tank sitter" completely neglected their responsibilities. The die off was around 27, which left me at about 16 babies left. What they DIDN'T do: feed enough (they fed them once), use the RO/DI water I had for them (they used faucet water... CHLORINE?!?!?) turn off the lights, monitor the temperature, and they didn't top off in the big tank. Needless to say, I will NEVER trust anyone but my local club members with my tank again.

However, 3 weeks later and everyone is still alive. Last night, I noticed that the babies come up to the front of the glass whenever I'm in the room working. I think it means they're hungry, LOL! Their colors and patterns seem to change daily. I've got one orange baby which I will be keeping. I can't wait until they are big enough! They're probably big enough now (about 2-2.5"), but I'll start to feel more comfortable when they are around 3-4"

I'll attempt to get some pictures this week!

-Brooks-

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back