Mystery Shark Egg

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Japanese wobbegong (Orectolobus japonicus) is a carpet shark in the family Orectolobidae of the wobbegong family, found in the tropical western Pacific Ocean from Japan and Korea to Viet Nam and the Philippines, between latitudes 43 and 6°N. It reaches a length of 1 m. Japanese wobbegong sharks typically remain motionless during the daytime, and are not active hunters. They use camouflage and their electroreceptor pores on their dorsal area to help them sense prey nearby.
Same size as coral cats, Mine liked live shrimp.
was lookin at these

• Northern wobbegong (Orectolobus wardi)
  • Western wobbegong (Orectolobus hutchinsi)
  • Dwarf spotted wobbegong (Orectolobus parvimaculatus)
  • Network wobbegong (Orectolobus reticulatus)
specially the network they get small

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a cat shark egg? The picture of the shark in the egg resembles the shape of one. If not, then a bamboo shark would be my second guess.
I don't think it can be a cat shark they have more translucent and mermaid purse type eggs, I would love to have another catshark though

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some eggs are sanded a bit so they are more translucent so I'm not sure I would base the ID on that. Regardless, it's very fun to hatch a shark egg. I've done it a couple times and they were both banded cat sharks. I'm really looking forward to seeing what type of shark ends up hatching from that egg!!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea how old the egg was, when you got it?
Doubtful but if it goes over 2 months its not a cat shark.

I dont know that much about this subject though.

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some eggs are sanded a bit so they are more translucent so I'm not sure I would base the ID on that. Regardless, it's very fun to hatch a shark egg. I've done it a couple times and they were both banded cat sharks. I'm really looking forward to seeing what type of shark ends up hatching from that egg!!
Well I'll keep that in mind, i went to my lfs and they had another banded bamboo shark egg for sale and it is about half the size of the egg I have..

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea how old the egg was, when you got it?
Doubtful but if it goes over 2 months its not a cat shark.

I dont know that much about this subject though.
I'm very doubtful it's a catshark because they tend to have more narrow eggs

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I need to throw a little cation at those looking into the wobbies. Years and years ago my husband worked at an absolutely enormous pet store that had a 50’x10’ saltwater pond. They would take in fish and shark from people that didn’t know what they were getting into. Among those inhabitants was a banded wobbegong. Every bit of 6+ feet long! So size range of certain species is wide!!!

I like Wobbegong sharks, very interesting species but difficult to source. They cannot he kept with ANY tank mates, they’ll end up lunch for the shark.
As to this post, while he did from time to time attempt to take a fish that got to close he was well enough fed to never really put much real effort into it. Almost seemed more like a grouchy “get off my lawn” kinda thing.

Back to the topic, my bet is on a zebra!!! Based on the shape of the body, and, well, because I want it to be! Hahaha

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I need to throw a little cation at those looking into the wobbies. Years and years ago my husband worked at an absolutely enormous pet store that had a 50’x10’ saltwater pond. They would take in fish and shark from people that didn’t know what they were getting into. Among those inhabitants was a banded wobbegong. Every bit of 6+ feet long! So size range of certain species is wide!!!

As to this post, while he did from time to time attempt to take a fish that got to close he was well enough fed to never really put much real effort into it. Almost seemed more like a grouchy “get off my lawn” kinda thing.

Back to the topic, my bet is on a zebra!!! Based on the shape of the body, and, well, because I want it to be! Hahaha
I really want it to be a zebra too! I'm trying to enroll into UCSD and I would love to donate it and give it huge home, and of course do research and learn more about the beautiful creatures they are.. also thank you for being very informative

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want it to be a zebra too! I'm trying to enroll into UCSD and I would love to donate it and give it huge home, and of course do research and learn more about the beautiful creatures they are.. also thank you for being very informative
Absolutely!!! Any time I have information to give I try to pitch in!!! It would be awesome to be able to study a zebra in a MASSIVE aquarium, and give it a long healthy life!!!! Maybe I should start playing the lottery.... hahaha

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....not to rain on your parade, but do make sure that they'll actually take the shark as well. Some of the larger public institutions can't afford to take on yet another tank-buster fish, especially now during a pandemic.

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....not to rain on your parade, but do make sure that they'll actually take the shark as well. Some of the larger public institutions can't afford to take on yet another tank-buster fish, especially now during a pandemic.
oh no I'm keeping the shark until I get enrolled I'll be going there in the next 2 years

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely!!! Any time I have information to give I try to pitch in!!! It would be awesome to be able to study a zebra in a MASSIVE aquarium, and give it a long healthy life!!!! Maybe I should start playing the lottery.... hahaha
yeah I bought the egg at one of my lfs and they had a banded bamboo shark egg next to this huge one so I had to buy it

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I bought the egg at one of my lfs and they had a banded bamboo shark egg next to this huge one so I had to buy it
If I had a tank running I would have too!!! Maybe it’s time to break the 300DD out of storage? Hahah

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna guess nurse shark The eyes are set high and the tail looks similar.

Atlantic nurse sharks are ovoviviparous - the eggs hatch out inside the female and the young are born alive. There is a short tail nurse shark in the Pacific, I think it *might* be oviparous, but I'm not certain.

If it was an inch or two larger, I'd say zebra shark egg, but this is small for that species.

Jay

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic nurse sharks are ovoviviparous - the eggs hatch out inside the female and the young are born alive. There is a short tail nurse shark in the Pacific, I think it *might* be oviparous, but I'm not certain.

If it was an inch or two larger, I'd say zebra shark egg, but this is small for that species.

Jay
Literally just came here from Instagram, ORA has short tail nurse sharks for sale, and they do lay eggs.

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Yeah I know it's small for a zebra but it's also big for everything else so i'm still uncertain.. in my post about it being a nurse shark I was talking about the short tail nurse, but everything that I can find it's not certain they are ovo or ovi

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back