OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you probably have local clubs near, always good to have reef friends close, I'm not sure how far away DFWMAS is from you, but I bet if you check you can probably connect to others, maybe find local frag swaps and such
I'm about 3 hours away from Dallas. I am 2 hours away from some parts of Houston so it's not much farther. Thank you I was not aware of DFWMAS so I'll definitely check it out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like it!

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only want to know where to find one like that for my tank! It's amazing!!!

The rock was on Houston coral auction page. I was trying to have the winning bid but i was one second too late. The rock had 100+ blue tubbs zoas on it and most people bidding were wanting to frag the zoas. So I sent the winner a message asking if that was what he was doing could I buy the rock and surprisingly he said yes he had no need for the rock. I got it for only $20. So him winning it saved me a lot of money. And he left the monti and some of the zoas. I love the rock.

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tsev03,
Will the rock fit horizontally inside of your display? If so, my vote would be to elevate it to create a cave or safe haven for you fish and coral... just a thought.

- Larry

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tsev03,
Will the rock fit horizontally inside of your display? If so, my vote would be to elevate it to create a cave or safe haven for you fish and coral... just a thought.

- Larry
I wish it would. That would be awesome. If or when I upgrade it will definitely be able to go that way. I want a large square shallow tank. But it may be a while.

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep HOPE ALIVE. You may be able to snag one just like you did with the rock. Must cubed 120 gallon systems are in that fashion. Also, I know you mentioned that the rock had been too heavy to maneuver yourself....Take care not to injure yourself when you do decide to make that upgrade/change. Play it safe and PLAN AHEAD.

I think I may play it safe with my builds. I currently have a 20 gallon that's been running for over a year....It's stable but I received a 40 gallon breeder during this past Fall season FOR FREE. Great deal. However, now I have to build a new stand and canopy......Plus I live in an apartment - - - I definitely have some planning to do if I go that route. All in all, keep us posted on any other ideas or questions you may have.

Larry

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that sounds like something I can do!! Did I mention I only paid $20 for the rock! I did have to drive 74 miles one way to get it but it was so worth it!

I got some nice rocks like that and I only had to drive five miles.........To the Airport, then I went to the tropics, rented a car so I could rent a boat, go out to the reef, jump in the sea, get the rock, reverse the entire thing, get back on the plane, and it only cost me $6,473.52

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks started using more alk than calcium. I'm using kalkwasser in ato and very few days I'll test and alk will be back down to 6.7. I'll add some brs alkalinity bringing it back up to 8 and in 4 days it's right back at 6.7. Calcium is staying in between 430 and 450. I'm using salifert test kits. Does coralline use a lot of alkalinity cause that big rock is getting covered in it fast

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Does coralline use a lot of alkalinity cause that big rock is getting covered in it fast
It does, but the cal and alk should still drop evenly. Id test the alk again. That's an odd ratio id you have been dosing evenly.
What salt are you using?

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, but the cal and alk should still drop evenly. Id test the alk again. That's an odd ratio id you have been dosing evenly.
What salt are you using?

I'm using instant ocean. It's been doing this for about 2 weeks. I'm using kalkwasser so I thought that was equal. But when I raise it back to 8 I have just been using the alkalinity without adding calcium. Is that wrong?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using kalkwasser so I thought that was equal.
it is.
But when I raise it back to 8 I have just been using the alkalinity without adding calcium. Is that wrong?
Yes, kinda. Thats where Im having doubts on your test results. Even in R Farley's article on corrections he does frequently mention minor test error, esp when its noted the two are out of balance.
He goes on to say it testing error is unlikely imbalance is likely due to human error and unbalanced dosing. So in your case Id have to guess test error. I think at 7 alk youd be in the 400 cal range or a bit less.

Heres 2 articles.
A dry read but look at the first yellow chart under cal alk probs. you should fall in the red range.http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry
And although this is talking about 2 part dosing the usage examples are very helpful and easy to read.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is.

Yes, kinda. Thats where Im having doubts on your test results. Even in R Farley's article on corrections he does frequently mention minor test error, esp when its noted the two are out of balance.
He goes on to say it testing error is unlikely imbalance is likely due to human error and unbalanced dosing. So in your case Id have to guess test error. I think at 7 alk youd be in the 400 cal range or a bit less.

Heres 2 articles.
A dry read but look at the first yellow chart under cal alk probs. you should fall in the red range.http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry
And although this is talking about 2 part dosing the usage examples are very helpful and easy to read.

I am still new to most of this. I have read that a few times. I will read it again because I'm sure I learn more each time I read it. Yesterday test were cal 440 and alk 6.7 and mg 1350. I have not added anything yet. So I'll test again and see what the results are. I'm using the kalkwasser water because I don't fully understand the 2 part dosing yet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that a few times.
Ug, for YEARS now..

Basically Alk/cal very are interrelated. A thank(shrimp, corraline, pods corals) use the cal/alk. It uses it a fairly constant rate. It needs to be resupplied at the same rate. Kalk has cal/alk. In two part its a Cal and alk. The only weird thing with 2 part there's some that are more concentrated.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you mention that there is a live montipora attached to the rock? If so it will probably not make it regardless of which suggestion you take. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you mention that there is a live montipora attached to the rock? If so it will probably not make it regardless of which suggestion you take. :rolleyes:

Yes there is a montipora on the rock. Are you saying the monti won't make it?

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes there is a montipora on the rock. Are you saying the monti won't make it?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back