Need some Help Please.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Orange Shoulder Tang that over night his eyes turne clear or silver,not cloudy at all everything else on his body looks perfect just hes been in 1 spot for 3 days and he acts blind i did move some rock work about 3days prior to him having this problem and this morning my Purple Tang has the same symptom

Anyone else have this problem Trying to figure out what it could be

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's couple pics

1445191556149.jpg

1445191565767.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? Any new additions that weren't quarantined? Are they breathing heavy? Still eating? Are you able to remove the fish at all? Have you seen any evidence of other diseases or parasites on any of the other fish?

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had orange Shoulder a year, newest fish was a diamond goby about month ago, not breathing heavy at all. will eat nori when i put a rock with it in his hole he is in. no other fish but the purple tang got same thing today, I did move alot of rock around the other day that stirred up detritus. this was about a 4 days before the orange got it. , Have alot sps corals and i dont think i could ctch the purple tang to treat but i could get the orange, some people said to use artemiss that is reef safe .. im not sure what to do, he looks perfect body color is great just sitting in his hole

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we'd need more help for a solid diagnosis. @Humblefish is the man for that. If you can get a QT set up while we are waiting on him and get the orange shoulder out and try for the purple, then that would be a good start. I dont put a lot of stock in reef safe meds.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely a bacterial infection. Erythromycin is the antibiotic of choice for eye infections; you can also add minocycline to this to widen the spectrum. If erythromycin cannot be sourced, Kanaplex or even Furan-2 are other good choices. Dosing any of the above in a QT would be optimal. However, you can soak erythromycin or Kanaplex only in food using a binder (ex. Seachem Focus), thus rendering the antibiotic reef safe. Of course, soaking antibiotics in food is only useful if the sick fish is still eating... Otherwise, dosing directly into a QT becomes your only option.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! There he is to save the day! < I sang that in my head lol

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely a bacterial infection. Erythromycin is the antibiotic of choice for eye infections; you can also add minocycline to this to widen the spectrum. If erythromycin cannot be sourced, Kanaplex or even Furan-2 are other good choices. Dosing any of the above in a QT would be optimal. However, you can soak erythromycin or Kanaplex only in food using a binder (ex. Seachem Focus), thus rendering the antibiotic reef safe. Of course, soaking antibiotics in food is only useful if the sick fish is still eating... Otherwise, dosing directly into a QT becomes your only option.
So it looks like my choice will be Furan-2 since i have that alreadyand that was my 1st choice to use but kept getting opinions on using prazipro , would that be the same thing , others said it was fluke but no other symptons but the clear /silverish eye I have alot of sps and hate to risk the reef system by dosing tank but its going to be hard to try to catch the fish that are affected.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like my choice will be Furan-2 since i have that alreadyand that was my 1st choice to use but kept getting opinions on using prazipro , would that be the same thing , others said it was fluke but no other symptons but the clear /silverish eye I have alot of sps and hate to risk the reef system by dosing tank but its going to be hard to try to catch the fish that are affected.

Flukes in the eyes is another possibility I didn't even think about (it's been a long day). But to confirm this, you would need to do a FW dip (see below).

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 2 days on Furan-2 and they still blind, I know they say to do 4 doses but you would think i would see some improvement also, they are not eating at all in the qt. I did not test for flukes cause i was scared it might be to much stress on them. should i just continue to do the furan till i did the 4 doses and then try the fluke test i did order some prazipro and will be here tomorrow, i dont know how much longer they can live without eating though
thanks for any input

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No should I ?

Not yet. You still dont know what it is that is wrong with your fish. Lowering the salinity wont help with flukes or bacterial infections. Wait on that for now. Lets figure out what your fish have first.

Slacktide207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size was your tank again that they were in, size of the quarantine tank? How big are your tangs? Type of filter on the quarantine tank (any carbon?)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back