Neptune trident

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't. If $50 is going to affect your buying decision, you can't afford it, plain and simple. Move on.

You either don't get, or are intentionally ignoring, the context of why it bothers so many people.

Proper disclosure is more of the issue than 50$.

U

User1

View Badges
You either don't get, or are intentionally ignoring, the context of why it bothers so many people.

Proper disclosure is the issue, not 50$.

What is proper? They disclosed it when they felt it was necessary or the right time. I'm not sure why there is so much angst over this. Terence even just said they are still working some of the finer details out. I get that there is this thought of a money grab from servicing, regents, or parts but I just do not see that. If this is the case then we would all be paying a monthly subscription fee to use the Fusion portal. We don't. That is a revenue stream.

Regents and servicing are not. They are required to start with a known condition to more accurately test and provide consistent results. Quality control. Nothing more, nothing less. And if you go back with the Neptune product line, I do, say back to the original Neptune with X10 relays then you would know we had to pay 100 dollars for ReefNotes back then. This was to see pretty graphs.

Guess what, we no longer pay for ReefNotes because the Fusion portal takes care of all of that for free. Just my opinion.

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drove to my local fish store they are definitely a Neptune Preferred store and was told they had only received one You would think they would provide a few more

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All - I got home from work late, but logged into Facebook to watch the presentation as soon as I could. I missed the first 25 minutes or so. However, the presentation went for over an hour and 15 minutes. They clearly provided the basic information throughout as I heard it several times despite missing the first part. People were also repeating it in the comments. Even missing some, I heard: cost, release date/time; how long the reagents with the unit lasts; where to buy extra reagents - including the limit, expected maintenance intervals and expected costs; options for using your own calibration solution versus theirs, etc.

They went through everything that I could think of during the presentation. They showed how to program it for use, how to program it to work with the DOS, spoke about options to use it with or without the DOS and what fail-safe mechanisms you would lose if you didn't use the DOS. It was very thorough. It's not often that a company does such a presentation on the night that a product is launched. Yes, you needed to check their website or their Facebook page in order to get the reminder. There were several posts on reef2reef about the announcement. There was at least with a link to their Facebook page. But, there was a ton of information available.

I was critical of Neptune for how the original product announcement was made in the context of the 2016 unit, but, my opinion, these criticisms about lack of information are a bit much.

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. I'm not.

I'm incredibly baffled that you, or anyone else, have enough time in your day to come on a forum, whine about exact dollar amounts, 'proper disclosure' (objective at best), and feel that you were somehow treated unethically.

So - you feel as though because it doesn't suit your liking for proper 'methodology' of release, coming on here and venting your frustration is going to do what exactly? Perhaps hit up the Maserati forums next and let them know they didn't disclose changing the oil in the car?

Move on. If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't whine that you don't like it.

Edited.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune could also sell bagged dog waste and fans would say it's the best thing ever...

I assume most of the anger about the product is about the way information was released. Some may perceive it as dishonest or unethical to have 18+ months of buildup and not disclose maintenance requirements or costs until the 11th hour.

It's not like the maintenance is $5. DIY of 1/6 the purchase price, or Neptune for 1/3 the price may be a deal breaker for some.

Why “fans” tho smh, why can’t it just be users, meng i bought a 3D printer I barely use, have 2 drones I only flew for a week , I have a Mac, laptop and a desktop I built why ? Because I like gadgets it happen to be that this trident gadget will help me with testing my water, which i hate as easy as it is I don’t like doing it, so to you everything I mentioned is probably trash but to me is entertaining this is just another addition to the list of junk I have but this one has a purpose.

I don’t understand people sometimes they say oh I won’t buy it then wanna make the ones buying feel like trash smh. If you ain’t interested keep it moving go help someone I’d a critter or something tons of other post that actually need your help haters lol byeeee

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is proper? They disclosed it when they felt it was necessary or the right time. I'm not sure why there is so much angst over this. Terence even just said they are still working some of the finer details out. I get that there is this thought of a money grab from servicing, regents, or parts but I just do not see that. If this is the case then we would all be paying a monthly subscription fee to use the Fusion portal. We don't. That is a revenue stream.

Regents and servicing are not. They are required to start with a known condition to more accurately test and provide consistent results. Quality control. Nothing more, nothing less. And if you go back with the Neptune product line, I do, say back to the original Neptune with X10 relays then you would know we had to pay 100 dollars for ReefNotes back then. This was to see pretty graphs.

Guess what, we no longer pay for ReefNotes because the Fusion portal takes care of all of that for free. Just my opinion.

I feel like there is something else at play here, it is not just about the information that was released, or lack of... The nuts and bolts of the situation are the facts that we have now (which suffice for me), this is the cost associated with having the "finer things" of reefing. Even if said costs were a revenue stream to compensate for R&D or just a product of business, you either pay it to enjoy the benefits or you don't. Not everyone drives a "high end" european car with high maintenance costs. Those who view said items as valuable will pay the costs regardless, others will bicker about anything they can find while enjoying their "economical and ethical" alternative. It works out for all, more product available for the "finer things" lovers, and the opposing side saves their money. We are all happy!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was the cost of maintenance disclosed to customers prior to last night? Does anyone know what it actually entails other than possible ranges of cost?

If the answer to those questions is no, it may be perceived that Neptune intentionally withheld that information. To some that is more troublesome than the $ amount.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I'm not.

I'm incredibly baffled that you, or anyone else, have enough time in your day to come on a forum, whine about exact dollar amounts, 'proper disclosure' (objective at best), and feel that you were somehow treated unethically.

So - you feel as though because it doesn't suit your liking for proper 'methodology' of release, coming on here and venting your frustration is going to do what exactly? Perhaps hit up the Maserati forums next and let them know they didn't disclose changing the oil in the car?

Move on. If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't whine that you don't like it.

Edited.

You can throw loaded arguments (like the car example) around all ya like. Doesn't change nor does it contribute anything. And you might want to look at your replies before you start accusing other of whining lol

There is nothing wrong with people talking about what they don't (or do) like. These are discussion forums. Not everyone here is going to be a sycophant.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, he’s right, you were told before you bought it, so if that is the deal breaker for you, then obviously you can’t afford it, or are too cheap to pay for it. But the bluster is unproductive and annoying to be honest. Now if they would have released the product and sold a bunch of units AND THEN told us about the maintenance, THEN I could see some proof of failure to disclose.

U

User1

View Badges
Holy hypocrite batman. Some of y'all have a serious lack of self awareness.

I wouldn't say that. There is just a very clear line being drawn with regards to the disagreement. Both sides have rested their argument(s) or thoughts on the subject and neither are being swayed. So what is left? One side sees the other as being noise.

What we can all agree on though ignoring the noise is that the product is released, sold out, and more information is flowing. It is up to the hobbyist now to determine if the product is for them. No more, no less. I'd say we are good here.

GugsJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't. If $50 is going to affect your buying decision, you can't afford it, plain and simple. Move on.
For me it isn't that the Trident needs maintenance. Again I perform maintenance and repairs on medical equipment 5 days a week so I know the value in preventive maintenance.

The fact that they said unlike the competition it will be minimal and at a low cost.

1/3 the cost to send it in or 1/6 the cost for DIY doesn't seem like minimal cost.

I'm going with a competitor for this reason. It's more of an initial cost but with the cost of reagents and maintenance it will be less I believe in a year.

I hold nothing against Neptune and I'll never run a tank without one. With my SPS dominant 240 Gallon tank, this product just isn't for me as it wasn't promised after all this wait.

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can throw loaded arguments (like the car example) around all ya like. Doesn't change nor does it contribute anything. And you might want to look at your replies before you start accusing other of whining lol

There is nothing wrong with people talking about what they don't (or do) like. These are discussion forums. Not everyone here is going to be a sycophant.
You're right. I'm whining, you're providing constructive feedback. Though, I guess this logic does make sense given your previous responses.

Guess I'll go get my participation trophy now.

P.S. - Can you believe they didn't account for inflation? Hell, $49.95 this year isn't going to be that next year. Such BS!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drove to my local fish store they are definitely a Neptune Preferred store and was told they had only received one You would think they would provide a few more
The only Stocking Neptune dealer in Detroit received ONE ....He was POed BRS got 60

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My LFS said they only had one as well lol

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say that. There is just a very clear line being drawn with regards to the disagreement. Both sides have rested their argument(s) or thoughts on the subject and neither are being swayed. So what is left? One side sees the other as being noise.

What we can all agree on though ignoring the noise is that the product is released, sold out, and more information is flowing. It is up to the hobbyist now to determine if the product is for them. No more, no less. I'd say we are good here.

Idk... On one hand you have people complaining about a companies approach, on the other hand you have people saying those people are cheap and, worse, acting like discussing issues shouldn't happen. ("Shut up and don't buy it!") and the only counter I keep seeing is loaded arguments about oil changes and life sustaining equipment like scuba gear.

Just seems strange people are so quick to take offense over the criticism of a COMPANY. Neptune will do just fine regardless of whether or not we share our grievances.

Anyway, in the end, you are right. It's up to each hobbyist to decide which tester (if any tester) is right for their needs. Who knows, if the Trident really is as consistent and accurate as claimed, then I may just accept the unknown maintenance cost and add it to my collection of reef gadgets.

U

User1

View Badges
For me it isn't that the Trident needs maintenance. Again I perform maintenance and repairs on medical equipment 5 days a week so I know the value in preventive maintenance.

You do, yes. The patient on the other end of the equipment does not. You have training or certifications to do the job, the patient does not. This is no different than an aircraft mechanic performing NDI checks on critical components of the airframe. The technician does it, not the pilot. Nor does the pilot load the bombs, missiles, etc. They fly the plane which is what they are trained to do. Similar with other roles, responsibilities, etc.

I could rebuild my scuba gear (bc and regs) but I choose to let someone more qualified to do it. Per my earlier comment(s) and yours as well because we have both said this earlier maintenance on somethings makes sense for many reasons. I've already spent $500 on my regulator which meets my cold water diving temperatures (ever see a warm water diver take their gear to a cold water environment only to later see it freeze up and force them to do an emergency accent? I have (Monterey and Lake Tahoe)) but do you think I complain every other year when I take it in for service and I get a bill for $60+ dollars? You don't think I've already purchased that regulator a second time with all my services? I have. It is part of that hobby.

I get you can perform it. In your case the kit sounds like a solid option and depending on the timeline requirement (not sure if that is set in stone yet) then you are looking at 70 bucks give or take every other year. Not bad to have a known starting point for your tests.

U

User1

View Badges
Idk... On one hand you have people complaining about a companies approach, on the other hand you have people saying those people are cheap and, worse, acting like discussing issues shouldn't happen. ("Shut up and don't buy it!") and the only counter I keep seeing is loaded arguments about oil changes and life sustaining equipment like scuba gear.

Just seems strange people are so quick to take offense over the criticism of a COMPANY. Neptune will do just fine regardless of whether or not we share our grievances.

Anyway, in the end, you are right. It's up to each hobbyist to decide which tester (if any tester) is right for their needs. Who knows, if the Trident really is as consistent and accurate as claimed, then I may just accept the unknown maintenance cost and add it to my collection of reef gadgets.

I think we are on a similar page but disagree a bit on how it came down. I'm not right nor is my opinion. Maybe I'm just trying to see positive in it and will be wrong. All good though and I think we have been civil.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. I'm whining, you're providing constructive feedback. Though, I guess this logic does make sense given your previous responses.

Guess I'll go get my participation trophy now.

P.S. - Can you believe they didn't account for inflation? Hell, $49.95 this year isn't going to be that next year. Such crap!

...its like your activity trying to prove my point. Lol smh

By now, my issues with the release has been shared and explained. It's okay if you don't agree.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back