OP
OP
Mandee

Mandee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never assumed it was level. It was level after we first moved the tank in...... after sitting so long I guess it shifted idk.
But thanks

OP
OP
Mandee

Mandee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well now to drain .....

1451271696383.jpg

Aussie paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think a small headache now will save you from a bigger headache in the future good luck and keep the updates coming

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you draining we can talk about what's on TV? :p
You will not regret it later.
I'm pretty sure your carpet settle when you were filling it up. 200 gallon is 1600lb + your tank, stand. sand and rock I estimate close to a ton if not over.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the waiting game. Any tips?

1451315513986.jpg
Be patient and find someone who has an established tank. Use some filter media, sand, a few bioballs, etc to help cycle the tank quicker and give you a boost on the organics.

You can also get online and find Biodiversity packs that will include all types of crazy life after your tank has cycled. Best of luck and now prepare yourself for a case of the uglies!!! You can also begin researching your cleaning crews and finding what you will want to get as your diatoms, GHA and Cyano begin to appear

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ........ no kidding this time.
Yesterday you mentioned you filled it with RODI.
Did you already mixed salt into the water?
What kind of cycle process you going with?
If Cycling my advice is to turn the lights off till your done cycling the first part.

OP
OP
Mandee

Mandee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ya go

Yes I mixed the water yesterday before putting it in the tank. I had 5 brute trash cans. That was annoying. I have 90lbs of live sand in the tank. I might go buy a couple pounds of live rock today.

1451316159405.jpg

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ya go

Yes I mixed the water yesterday before putting it in the tank. I had 5 brute trash cans. That was annoying. I have 90lbs of live sand in the tank. I might go buy a couple pounds of live rock today.

1451316159405.jpg
That sounds good, and Ben has a great point. Shut the lights off and save power and algal blooms. Do you have someone close by who has an established tank? If so just get some filter media, an old filter sick and rinse it off really good in your tank. Again, that will give a huge boost you your organics and will help boost part 1 of the cycle process.

Ben may have betters ways to do it. This was just my .02.

OP
OP
Mandee

Mandee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good, and Ben has a great point. Shut the lights off and save power and algal blooms. Do you have someone close by who has an established tank? If so just get some filter media, an old filter sick and rinse it off really good in your tank. Again, that will give a huge boost you your organics and will help boost part 1 of the cycle process.

Ben may have betters ways to do it. This was just my .02.

I shut the lights off right after I took the picture. Even tho the tank is really cloudy I should try to get the filter media or their filter sock?

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut the lights off right after I took the picture. Even tho the tank is really cloudy I should try to get the filter media or their filter sock?

If you add filter media from someone else's tank, the beneficial bacteria that is in there will help the tank to cycle quicker. I took sand, and dumped the contents of a smaller tanks canister filter into my 125 when I started the cycle. It helped speed up the process a ton. You don't want the tank to get filthy, but it will help the process.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to cycle and using a established something as filter sock or rock, sand will help.
Google how many ways you can cycle and I'm sure some other members will chime in with their experience.
While you add it try to pickup some good test kits for your cycle process Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH and Phosphate are the first test kits to get.
What kind of refractor meter you using?
Make sure you monitor your temperature too as during the cycling process you can dial in your heater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back