Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mount the board to the wall, I ripped a piece of 2x4 the width of the board at 45 degrees lengthwise and mounted each half to the wall and top of board so it hangs by the bevel cut in the 2x4. This is similar to how they hang upper kitchen cabinets before securing them to the walls with screws. Then I use 2 screws at the bottom with a small piece of 2x4 on either side to secure the bottom. The cords are either zip tied or just loosely placed behind the board depending on the size or length of the cord. I hope I never have to take it back down, but doing so is easy the way its mounted.
This is called a French Cleat.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Last week I added a CUC consisting of 4 sand sifting starfish, 1 conch, 12 astrea and 12 nassarius snails and three days later I noticed ick on a few of the fish including the powder blue. I decided to do hypo in the display to rid the tank of the ick, and after removing all inverts I lowered the salinity to 1.009 SG. All of the ick has dropped of the fish and has not re-appeared. I'm planning on doing hypo for 4 weeks and then slowly raising salinity back up to normal levels.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Unfortunately I had a few losses due to ick and or hypo-salinity. I added a new larger Blond Naso Tang and a Sohal Tang, both of which are doing well. My salinity is now at 1.015 SG. I was forced to slowly raise the salinity due to some of the fish not doing so well at 1.009 SG. The only fish to still show signs of ick is my Powder Blue Tang, but he is eating and otherwise doing well. I am hoping that he will eventually build up immunity so I can continue to slowly raise the salinity. Obviously adding new fish at this time is not helping my cause but, I would rather add new fish while in hypo so that I can control an outbreak without having to revert back to a QT tank!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I had a ich out break I used this plus some metroplex. I used the focus to bind the med to the frozen food
IMG_3256.JPG

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I had a ich out break I used this plus some metroplex. I used the focus to bind the med to the frozen food
Thank you! I've been feeding New Life Shield Ick Spectrum, Nori and a variety of frozen. Unfortunately my Powder Blue is still not eating pellets.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've been feeding New Life Shield Ick Spectrum, Nori and a variety of frozen. Unfortunately my Powder Blue is still not eating pellets.

That's one of the reason I went with the frozen and add the garlic to get the fish to eat it.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to plumbing my 40 gallon RODI container. I still have to attach a 3/4" hose to the quick-release fitting, which I will use to fill my 10 gallon Synergy Reef ATO container. I have also started the plumbing on my 40 gallon Salt water mixing container, which I will also use for my automatic water changes. The plumbing will also include a quick-release hose fitting for doing emergency water changes if needed.

IMG_8574.JPG
IMG_8575.JPG
IMG_8577.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the fire hose clamping connector. Used one in my sump to make cleaning the return pump easier. Nice plumping work;)

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the fire hose clamping connector. Used one in my sump to make cleaning the return pump easier. Nice plumping work;)
Thanks! That's actually a great idea! I'll have to remember that one for next time.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates doc?
I am still doing hypo (1.015 SG) because my Powder Blue still shows signs of ick. He is still eating well so I am hoping he can build up his immunity so I can slowly raise the salinity and start adding back corals. I am also trying to get the plumbing on my salt water container finished this week so I can start doing automatic water changes.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're an ortho but went to the dentist the other day and his tank welllll wasn't so nice. I wish I could look at this tank while I waited. Great job. I've enjoyed following the build

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're an ortho but went to the dentist the other day and his tank welllll wasn't so nice. I wish I could look at this tank while I waited. Great job. I've enjoyed following the build
Thank you! I still have some more plumbing to do and hopefully get corals back in the tank in about a month?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back