New reef tank questions

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was about 18 broken pieces of rock that I super glued into one larger one. Piece by piece of course. Notice the decorative loop on the right side. I got the rock from Oahu. After my first few weeks and a water change to remove nitrate I got a couple of really small purple live rocks from a really nice store and razor bladed them in the water to release coralline algae that spread like crazy so I have a lot of purple in my tank now. 10 weeks in. Third tank.

IMG_4011[1].JPG

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowzers, I never would have guessed that was so many rocks put together like that. Great job.. I was looking at BRS for ordering some dry rock in bulk and was hoping I could kind of break it and chisel it into the shape I wanted. Seeing you do this one makes me feel okay about that idea. It did say something about curing the rock, now is that something that needs to be done before I attach them all together or can it be done after?

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it is cured, you don't want to leave it out of the tank to dry or you step back you ammonia cycle

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so temporary plan for reef tank 2.0. Remove all the crushed coral from the bottom of the tank. Go to pet store and buy 50lb. live or dry rock and sand. (how much live sand do I need) after rock is placed in tank then replace sand along the bottom. Then continue with the filtering and try to start the cycling process.
You may want to do a little research before you do your sand bed. Some people like deeper sand beds. I went with 3" because of something i read. Kind of depends on what you intend on keeping also.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it is cured, you don't want to leave it out of the tank to dry or you step back you ammonia cycle
Well if it's dry rock when I get it then would it matter about that? I mean if it's already dried out then I seems like it makes sense to for the aquascape to be laid out and constructed. Then I could put the whole setup sown into a box to cure as one big piece. If my logic is wrong then I can do it the other way. Just wanted to make sure I do it the right way.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170325_085758.png
so I am online shopping around trying to find the pest dry live rock to use in my new tank setup. Keep in mind that I am a novice so I wanted to ask what your opinion are on this BRS Reef Ready rocks. Has anyone used it and if so would you recommend it?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, it is a pleasure to have come across this forum. I had a small saltwater aquarium many years ago but honestly I have forgotten a lot of the information I had at the time. I am now older and have a family and own a home so I felt that now was a good time to return to a hobby that brought me a lot of joy last time I had one. This time however I have a little more money to invest (not a whole lot more). What I have now is a 55 gal. corner tank w/ a stand. I dont have the room to do a sump tank so I am going to use a hang on protein skimmer and filter set-up. Right now I have 50lbs. of crushed coral in the bottom and the tank filled with water. I have added my salt (instant ocean) to the specifications on the bucket and now have the tank running and filtering. Currently the tank is at 79.7° F. Now that I have put all that out there I was wondering what needs to be my next steps from here? Again I had a tank years back but nothing to this size and I am really open to any and all tip or advise I can get. Thanks in advance and I hope to here from you guys soon. I included a picture of my empty tank, lol. Hopefully with your guys help we can make it something my family and I can enjoy for many years to come

20170323_161218.jpg
You have a ways to go. You need to cycle your tank with either some live rock and go from there
See the above comments

But I want to thank you for your service

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this rock, but I get it from my lfs. I like it a lot, it will change color as Coraline and other things grow on it. I get it locally for 2.49

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this rock, but I get it from my lfs. I like it a lot, it will change color as Coraline and other things grow on it. I get it locally for 2.49
Thanks my man, I appreciate it. Unfortunately for me my closest LFS is about 2 hours away. LoL, I am guessing that by what I read it will not take this rock as long to cure.. is that right

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a ways to go. You need to cycle your tank with either some live rock and go from there
See the above comments

But I want to thank you for your service
Thanks Bob, you noticed that little guy hanging up in the background huh. One of my proudest accompaniments for sure

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does come from a calcium bed in the ocean, so it doesn't go through as hard of a cycle. You can even add it to an established tank without curing it. So to answer your question, no. It won't take as much time, but still be patient. It will pay off big time.

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with live sand it's pretty close in price and speeds things up just don't rinse it or you'll kill the good bacteria your gonna wake up once it's in there. Think about what your goals are gonna be high flow lps corals and sps low flow softies. High flow heavier sand low flow lighter sand. When I started I was pumped up and in hurry I wanted my tank up and running yesterday lol and ended up with a closet full of crap I didn't need. If your looking at other people's tanks that are stocked and gorgous take in consideration the equipment there using to maintain there tanks. Better to pay more for something that's gonna last and do the job you need it to when your nearing your goals for the tank you want rather than having to upgrade and waste money. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does come from a calcium bed in the ocean, so it doesn't go through as hard of a cycle. You can even add it to an established tank without curing it. So to answer your question, no. It won't take as much time, but still be patient. It will pay off big time.
I am definitely not gonna get in any hurry. This is a project that my son and I are doing together so I am trying to let him enjoy the process as much as he can. At 10 y/o every little thing we do or change that he sees he will be excited about.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering is I could get a recommendation for powerheads. My tank is a corner est. 55 gallon tank. However after placing the crushed coral in the bottom it took 49-50 gallons to fill it up. (Yes I measured it by the gallon because my OCD is that bad) so what do you guys recommend for moving the water around? All help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's lots of options and u get what u pay for the vortechs are awesome ask just about anyone lol I have the mp10 and love the options. Tunze are great pumps as well. Key is to eliminate dead spots u want water movement everywhere and good surface movement for gas exchange and heat displacement. I'd look for something controllable so U can ramp up or down depending on what u put in the tank. You want a lot of turn over rate in water movement keeping detritus up in the water Coloum so your filtration can get to it. Rick placement is key as well you want flow to get through and around it as much as possible.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back