OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your rocks in and sand they will house the bacteria the filter is. The filter will be more or less your preference. The skimmer and rock/sand will be your main filtration. If u have strong flow from your power heads they will break the surface water for agitation. Personally I would not have the filter but to each there own. It can help remove the bigger partical from the water but it is just one more thing to maintain. IMO
I was thinking the same thing also about the skimmer returning water and what not. I think I will try and do away with the filters all together and run the skimmer and a couple power heads. Might end up using the filter just to move water around in my bag that I cure the rock in. Thanks a ton for the info

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you get to deep you could consider having your tank drilled by a professional and installing a sump believe me it's worth it my first tank was all hang on and it becomes an eye sore all your equipment is out of sight plus Added water volume
The whole thing with the sump is I dont have anywhere that I can put it that my newborn won't be able to get at eventually. My house is on a slab so I have no basement. That's leaves under the stand only and you know how kids are. I think the whole thing with the sump is just me having price of mind that he would try be able to get into it.

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you there are ways I have 4 children youngest is 18 months just have to put a secured latch on the door

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even have caught her sliding a chair up to the tank so she could splash the water. Little booger lol

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at the sand and there is a rather big selection. With millions tank I really don't plan on having a lot of fish. I want to focus more on the coral and the reef itself so there will probably be a few clowns (for my sons) and something else to keep it interesting. Mostly though my focus is the reef itself. With this being said is there a better choice of sand for that specific plan? I didn't know if some was more reef friendly and some fish friendly is what I'm trying to say. Or is it that they are all the same a the only difference is the colors... hahaha. Help.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I don't have room for a sump" don't be silly!
fc442734aa0a5fc5f08278996a0b4a02.jpg

Oh and Welcome to R2R. You will enjoy it here.
Hey Zack, that stand you rank is on look similar to mine. Do you mind if I ask what size the tank is that you made your sump out of? I have decided that I need one to make the reef process better on myself and the reef itself. So I am going to make me a sump and I am trying to decide on what size tank I need to make it out of. Thanks my man, I appreciate your time..[emoji106]

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Zack, that stand you rank is on look similar to mine. Do you mind if I ask what size the tank is that you made your sump out of? I have decided that I need one to make the reef process better on myself and the reef itself. So I am going to make me a sump and I am trying to decide on what size tank I need to make it out of. Thanks my man, I appreciate your time..[emoji106]

Anytime! I used a 10gallon from petco during the $1 for Gallon sale. I then just cut 1/4 plexiglass for the baffles. I can get more in depth pictures when I get home. It will seem like a tight fit but it fits perfectly. The Refugium Zone can be changed to your desire.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime! I used a 10gallon from petco during the $1 for Gallon sale. I then just cut 1/4 plexiglass for the baffles. I can get more in depth pictures when I get home. It will seem like a tight fit but it fits perfectly. The Refugium Zone can be changed to your desire.
Good deal, thanks a bunch. Now I gotcha build the sump and then put a lock/latch on the doors. Haha

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, thanks a bunch. Now I gotcha build the sump and then put a lock/latch on the doors. Haha

Here are some in depth pictures of the sump. I calculated my sump to have max capacity for the Fuge. Their are a variety of different Return pumps and slimmer so choose those before you build your sump to make sure their is room for them to fit.
63fe23e6aaf61853ecba06f4c487e369.jpg
97bf6015a88ccee34f99ceb8a284c6f1.jpg
d3a8779503dc8602f4baa427f98292af.jpg
f042f7ca9396d4ed99849856a8fdaa82.jpg
467bab9510c8875f9db9c4436a9a4b98.jpg
59fc9bd22d91d19c529757c213d7e380.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I know I haven't posted to this thread in a while now and that is because my tank went back to square one. A total redo if you will.. lol. All the water that was in the tank is now being used to cure my dry live rock (50 lb) and all the crushed coral has been removed in favor of some Black Hawiian sand. I am currently in the process of building a DIY sump to place under my tank also which leads me to my next question.. bulkheads and drilling holes. Not so much drilling holes but the location of holes. Obviously the overflow hole will be near the top of the tank bit does that mean the return hole also needs to be at the top? Being that my tank is a corner tank it is actually taller than it is long and wide so I would save a lot of energy if I didn't need to pump it all the way to the top. I know I got a lot of random questions but I am a firm believer in measure twice and cut once so I like to do a lot of research. Thanks for all your help guys..[emoji106]

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place the return line to low in the tank then a power failure can overflow the sump if you do not calculate the amount of drain down through both the overflow and return. You could just use a Tunze protein skimmer and internal filter without drilling the tank at all. They work great, smaller foot print and will provide surface extraction like an over flow. There is a combo over flow and return unit made by Two Little Fishies that might work for you for the sump. This would prevent to much drain down to your sump. The bomb of overflows is Synergy Reef's The Shadow overflow unit. All these products are online through a number of advertises on this site. If you need links send me a PM and I will be glad to give them to you. Choices...lots of choices.

And welcome to R2R and wishing you all the best success.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place the return line to low in the tank then a power failure can overflow the sump if you do not calculate the amount of drain down through both the overflow and return. You could just use a Tunze protein skimmer and internal filter without drilling the tank at all. They work great, smaller foot print and will provide surface extraction like an over flow. There is a combo over flow and return unit made by Two Little Fishies that might work for you for the sump. This would prevent to much drain down to your sump. The bomb of overflows is Synergy Reef's The Shadow overflow unit. All these products are online through a number of advertises on this site. If you need links send me a PM and I will be glad to give them to you. Choices...lots of choices.

And welcome to R2R and wishing you all the best success.
What about the Eshopps eclipse overflow boxes. I was looking at those and they look like a good deal. Pretty close to the Shadow isn't it? Other than ones being clear and the other black is their any other major difference? Also thanks for the response..[emoji106]

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reviews of the Eshopps here on R2R are mixed. I have never used one since I am old school Tunze and internal overflows. So I guess you would have to make your own judgement. Back in the day I manufactured internal and external overflows and trickle filters for customers as well as acrylic aquariums in the Northwest. Reviews for the Shadow are great and I would say you get what you pay for based on past experiance.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I know I haven't posted to this thread in a while now and that is because my tank went back to square one. A total redo if you will.. lol. All the water that was in the tank is now being used to cure my dry live rock (50 lb) and all the crushed coral has been removed in favor of some Black Hawiian sand. I am currently in the process of building a DIY sump to place under my tank also which leads me to my next question.. bulkheads and drilling holes. Not so much drilling holes but the location of holes. Obviously the overflow hole will be near the top of the tank bit does that mean the return hole also needs to be at the top? Being that my tank is a corner tank it is actually taller than it is long and wide so I would save a lot of energy if I didn't need to pump it all the way to the top. I know I got a lot of random questions but I am a firm believer in measure twice and cut once so I like to do a lot of research. Thanks for all your help guys..[emoji106]

The return has to be at the top in case of power outages. The line will back siphon untill its out of H2O. As for the drilling and overflow I just use a hang-on but if you wanted to drill synergy makes bomb overflows.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reviews of the Eshopps here on R2R are mixed. I have never used one since I am old school Tunze and internal overflows. So I guess you would have to make your own judgement. Back in the day I manufactured internal and external overflows and trickle filters for customers as well as acrylic aquariums in the Northwest. Reviews for the Shadow are great and I would say you get what you pay for based on past experiance.
Well I did decide to go with the Eshopps eclipse. Mainly because I liked that the box on the outside was clear and I could see what was going on in there easily. I also decided to go with the larger overflow so I can employ the bean animal system through it. It may be overkill considering I only have 55 gallon tank and it's rated for up to 1000 gph. Lol, so I will no doubt have in turned way down but since it is going in my living room I wanted the extra piece of mind with the extra failsafe. I am hoping for the best. Hahaha

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return has to be at the top in case of power outages. The line will back siphon untill its out of H2O. As for the drilling and overflow I just use a hang-on but if you wanted to drill synergy makes bomb overflows.
Do you recommend 1 or 2 return holes? The return pump I have is rated at about 825 gph so I think it would work for 2. Just trying to make sure I got all my ducks in a row because once I start drilling there is no going back then. LoL

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend 1 or 2 return holes? The return pump I have is rated at about 825 gph so I think it would work for 2. Just trying to make sure I got all my ducks in a row because once I start drilling there is no going back then. LoL

I only have one but that is up to you. It depends on how many gallons you want coming out of your nozzle. You you want 825 or 2, 412.5

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back