OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks pockets, I appreciate the input. I am gonna try and go with a minimal aquascape since it is a corner tank. I didn't want to cut off the back corner of the tank and have it be a dead spot. Luckily for me the tank is tall so I'm hoping I can have one closer To the top and one at the bottom to try and circulate everything. I am sure the will be moved numerous times before I get the desired effect.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to welcome you here and welcome you home. I see you are a marine, I was Army if you promise not to hold that against me. :D
You seem to be doing the right thing with your tank, good luck, this is a great site. The best in my opinion.
My tank also has no sump and I use a HOB skimmer.

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep trial and error. once your cycled and stable and start adding corals ex. You'll be able to see there movement and how the water flow is impacting them. I have a 35 hex and had 3 power heads in there trying to get good flow patterns ended up just facing them all in one direction for a big stirring pot lol. It worked but never changed. I got my vortech and all three are out just running the one pump and everything's getting great flow. With the pulses and variable flow patterns. If I was getting stranded on a desert island and could only take one thing I'd bring this pump lol imho.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to welcome you here and welcome you home. I see you are a marine, I was Army if you promise not to hold that against me. :D
You seem to be doing the right thing with your tank, good luck, this is a great site. The best in my opinion.
My tank also has no sump and I use a HOB skimmer.
I wont hold it against you brother. Anyone who has the courage to put their life on the line to protect out great country has my respect. No matter the branch of service. [emoji106]do you mind if I ask what kind of HOB skimmer you run on your tank?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering is I could get a recommendation for powerheads. My tank is a corner est. 55 gallon tank. However after placing the crushed coral in the bottom it took 49-50 gallons to fill it up. (Yes I measured it by the gallon because my OCD is that bad) so what do you guys recommend for moving the water around? All help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Use your Return water flow to your advantage. My situation is a little different because I have a sump but the return flow from your skimmer, reactors, filter, etc... should make enough movement up too so you just need bottom flow[emoji1360]
768dbd9bfd64921e0975296aed8e89bb.jpg
74bcb607a479c6b0ab45a567c3dc9292.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep trial and error. once your cycled and stable and start adding corals ex. You'll be able to see there movement and how the water flow is impacting them. I have a 35 hex and had 3 power heads in there trying to get good flow patterns ended up just facing them all in one direction for a big stirring pot lol. It worked but never changed. I got my vortech and all three are out just running the one pump and everything's getting great flow. With the pulses and variable flow patterns. If I was getting stranded on a desert island and could only take one thing I'd bring this pump lol imho.
What kind of pump are you running? Right now mine just has an Aqueon 55/75 on it just to keep the water flow going until I started putting stuff in it.

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that a hang on filter? I'm using the mp10 power head and I have a small return pump from the sump. You want something to push a lot more water than that. Hang on filter s in my opinion arnt that efficient they pull water from the same spot and there's no movement on the other ends of the tank. But while your cycling bacteria will grow on the filter pad and help your cycle but once u pull the pad u take the bacteria with it.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that a hang on filter? I'm using the mp10 power head and I have a small return pump from the sump. You want something to push a lot more water than that. Hang on filter s in my opinion arnt that efficient they pull water from the same spot and there's no movement on the other ends of the tank. But while your cycling bacteria will grow on the filter pad and help your cycle but once u pull the pad u take the bacteria with it.
Yeah, it is a hang on. See if don't have a sump so my filter and skimmer are going to both be HOB. Surprisingly that little pump I got pushes/pulls over 400gph. I know I'm gonna need a different one though. What is a good hang on filter that you could recommend

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mind the algae I'm still recovering from a crash when I was on the road working

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gonna go with mechanical filter I'd go with a canister you have options to put media in there like carbon ex. And they pull water from one end of the tank and return to the other much more efficient but you'll need to be diligant with maintaining it

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gonna go with mechanical filter I'd go with a canister you have options to put media in there like carbon ex. And they pull water from one end of the tank and return to the other much more efficient but you'll need to be diligant with maintaining it
Dang, I have heard that the canister filters can be a pain. LoL, but if that is what I need then I guess I will check them out as an option also

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are I ran one for a yr they catch a lot of stuff but cleaning it every week sucked

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically u can get away without either. Invest in a good skimmer and good water flow and have a tight water change schedule And you'll be successful. Your rock and sand with provide bio filtration

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont hold it against you brother. Anyone who has the courage to put their life on the line to protect out great country has my respect. No matter the branch of service. [emoji106]do you mind if I ask what kind of HOB skimmer you run on your tank?

I built the thing many years ago, you can tell by the phone :D

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically u can get away without either. Invest in a good skimmer and good water flow and have a tight water change schedule And you'll be successful. Your rock and sand with provide bio filtration
So do you think I should leave it (the filter) on and running and add the powerheads and skimmer also? I was just thinking that if I left it it would help push the water around on the top side of the tank seeing as how it has the waterfall type return on it. I know I would have to do away with the filters themselves though because as you said earlier everytime I pull them out in will lose my bacteria in them.

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your rocks in and sand they will house the bacteria the filter is. The filter will be more or less your preference. The skimmer and rock/sand will be your main filtration. If u have strong flow from your power heads they will break the surface water for agitation. Personally I would not have the filter but to each there own. It can help remove the bigger partical from the water but it is just one more thing to maintain. IMO

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus your hang on skimmer will push water at the surface as well

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you get to deep you could consider having your tank drilled by a professional and installing a sump believe me it's worth it my first tank was all hang on and it becomes an eye sore all your equipment is out of sight plus Added water volume

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back