OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No judging, i was saying, way before u will need any medicament or aditive, you need ro unit.

So why not start with thing you really need, instead if things you may need one day....
The ro unit is the rodi water filter? Not sure what that means.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, reverse osmosis, first thing u need is saltwater, and to make saltwater you need rodi filtered water and salt.

Some hobby grade rodi unit is not so expensive, and its probably most important piece of equipment...

I really cant think anything in 50-60$ range that is more important.....

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be fair, if you can buy rodi water from an LFS, you can hold off on a rodi system until youre ready. however, if you cannot get rodi water somewhere, then a rodi system will be needed. i personally just buy water weekly, and set it to the side to do my weekly water changes and for top off, as needed. you can even stock up on it if you want, with a water container. many people use the large rubbermaid trash cans

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be fair, if you can buy rodi water from an LFS, you can hold off on a rodi system until youre ready. however, if you cannot get rodi water somewhere, then a rodi system will be needed. i personally just buy water weekly, and set it to the side to do my weekly water changes and for top off, as needed. you can even stock up on it if you want, with a water container. many people use the large rubbermaid trash cans
I have 8 5g buckets I can keep some in. I'm going to use those to bring in the 36g I need from my LFS. Honestly I don't have room enough for the rodi system yet. So I will just do rodi swaps with my buckets.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm going to use any extra cash I got to buy the other 25 pounds of dry rock and get some food ready for ocellaris clownfish for when my tank is fully cycled.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, reverse osmosis, first thing u need is saltwater, and to make saltwater you need rodi filtered water and salt.

Some hobby grade rodi unit is not so expensive, and its probably most important piece of equipment...

I really cant think anything in 50-60$ range that is more important.....
Going to just swap RO water with buckets until I have room for roti system.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROBuddy at chewy is 60 bucks. It'll make a big difference and no trips to buy water.
Thanks for the info, I'll pick it up after my initial first buy of the RO water. But is there anywhere in connecticut where I can pick it up in person at any big chain FS? I also have to wait until probably July for that, I am also a PC enthusiast and I am paying off a big GPU purchase. Which is what is limiting me right now. Lol.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average rodi unit takes less space than single bucket, or even coca cola bottle.... 2 liter bottle, that is.....

So, regrarding space, it really dont require any room...

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average rodi unit takes less space than single bucket, or even coca cola bottle.... 2 liter bottle, that is.....

So, regrarding space, it really dont require any room...
Good to know this thanks

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the powerhead I should be set except for the other Little things I need to consider.
ROBuddy at chewy is 60 bucks. It'll make a big difference and no trips to buy water.

Thanks for the info, I'll pick it up after my initial first buy of the RO water. But is there anywhere in connecticut where I can pick it up in person at any big chain FS? I also have to wait until probably July for that, I am also a PC enthusiast and I am paying off a big GPU purchase. Which is what is limiting me right now. Lol.
I'm not sure but I'm sure you can find it. It's cheaper to get them on line. It sounds like your well on your way. Hope it turns out beautiful.

On the coraline, adding a few really good live rocks will help your tank with that and many things. Good luck.

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try and post I picture of my RODI set up when I get home. I was having issues figuring out where to put it & i found the laundry room to work best. I am new to the hobby as well and I'll say this, there is ALOT of information in this hobby and us newbies try our best to absorb it all in. But that's unrealistic, a lot of this information will come to us in time. Just keep pushing if this is what you wanna do. That's what I tell myself.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find the best place to buy rodi water cause buying and expensive rodi filter is not in the cards right now.
They really aren’t that expensive and will pay for itself in a short time when you need water .

imagine paying for water that you will make for free .

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,just read all the replies and your current equipment you have in post 1.
Haven't seen mention of any " ato" unit so that's a good thing to have imo.
Not essential but better than topping off evaporated daily myself,I let the ato do it and keep the sg stable.
Remember when topping off evaporated water ,the water evaporates but the salt doesn't so just add pure rodi water for top off.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,just read all the replies and your current equipment you have in post 1.
Haven't seen mention of any " ato" unit so that's a good thing to have imo.
Not essential but better than topping off evaporated daily myself,I let the ato do it and keep the sg stable.
Remember when topping off evaporated water ,the water evaporates but the salt doesn't so just add pure rodi water for top off.
My freshwater evaporates probably 3g every week because of the high waterflow and because of the bubbles that pop up to the top. It probably shouldn't be that much of a difference from that?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My freshwater evaporates probably 3g every week because of the high waterflow and because of the bubbles that pop up to the top. It probably shouldn't be that much of a difference from that?
Generally in saltwater tanks we have more flow with the power heads and breaking the surface water ( surface agitation) as saltwater holds less oxygen than freshwater does so for me I like to get as much surface agitation as possible and if you have a sump and if have " waterfalls " in sump from one section to another then here some more.
My 80g dt with I think 30g sump ( 20g actual water ) I evaporate roughly 5 gallons a week and in winter slightly more.
But lots of factors like how much surface agitation/ temp/ if glass lids or not etc etc
But in my opinion an ato just makes life so much easier and keeps things more stable.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally in saltwater tanks we have more flow with the power heads and breaking the surface water ( surface agitation) as saltwater holds less oxygen than freshwater does so for me I like to get as much surface agitation as possible and if you have a sump and if have " waterfalls " in sump from one section to another then here some more.
My 80g dt with I think 30g sump ( 20g actual water ) I evaporate roughly 5 gallons a week and in winter slightly more.
But lots of factors like how much surface agitation/ temp/ if glass lids or not etc etc
But in my opinion an ato just makes life so much easier and keeps things more stable.
I'll have 2 5g buckets to top off with I should be alright for now until I can afford all the handy extras

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add,I try keep a window at least slightly open in room where tank is and if can in kitchen next room on so can get draft going from one window to another .
I've never tested the c02 in room where tank is but read many threads where others have tested and as 2 adults,one kid,1 dog,we can use the oxygen up,so reason why like to replenish fresh air with window open.as I get worried if have lots surface agitation but room where tank is has high c02 then I worry that surface agitation be adding c02.( probably worry to much about it tbh) but it's what I do .
I read some others extend the airline for their skimmers to outside to use outside fresh air.but just be careful no one using pesticides or any thing like this near outside airline if do this.
As I say this is only what I do and why I do it,everyone does things differently

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add,I try keep a window at least slightly open in room where tank is and if can in kitchen next room on so can get draft going from one window to another .
I've never tested the c02 in room where tank is but read many threads where others have tested and as 2 adults,one kid,1 dog,we can use the oxygen up,so reason why like to replenish fresh air with window open.as I get worried if have lots surface agitation but room where tank is has high c02 then I worry that surface agitation be adding c02.( probably worry to much about it tbh) but it's what I do .
I read some others extend the airline for their skimmers to outside to use outside fresh air.but just be careful no one using pesticides or any thing like this near outside airline if do this.
As I say this is only what I do and why I do it,everyone does things differently
I have a strong central air system active in the house with filters. Everything is temp controlled as well. So that shouldn't be an issue for my tank.

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my RODI set up, think I paid like $100 for it. Its the AquaticLife Twist-In 100 GPD 4 Stage. Just something I could use instead of going to the LFS.
Note: I will be getting something to put over that outlet :confounded-face:

IMG_4392.png
IMG_4393.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back