OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes so getting good still pictures takes a good camera and patience lol
Only reason mine came out decent is I have a galaxy a71. Equivalent camera to the galaxy s20+ and s21. Either way your tank looks good too. I like seeing other people's setups

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is really low I think like 7.5 around there. I guess I do need wave makers to stir the water more, because it doesn't seem to be changing much. I know I need 8.0 to 8.4 ph. My salinity is 1.025. I tested water and I see nitrites already. Ammonia 0.50 and nitrites 0.50. The clowns passed away I think due to ph shock. I learned my lesson early on. I ordered 2 small wave makers for $16.99 to get it up to 480gph. Plus my uv sterilizer is 50gph. And then my filter head is 360gph. That should be enough. Going to dose it with 6 teaspoons of baking soda so the ph goes up by 0.5-0.8, the rocks and sand will keep it stable once it goes up, so the low ph doesn't drain the sand and rocks of nutrients so fast. I wish I did more research before hand so I didn't waste money.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the light on to check on them they had been in there for 8 hours. They flew back once the light went on like they seen God coming down. And then they died immediately after like 2 or 3 minutes after that. Is it possible I spooked them to death? I keep reading sudden light changes to fish who are not used to the tank will send them into spasms and they will die.

Last edited:

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the light on to check on them they had been in there for 8 hours. They flew back once the light went on like they seen God coming down. And then they died immediately after like 2 or 3 minutes after that. Is it possible I spooked them to death? I keep reading sudden light changes to fish who are not used to the tank will send them into spasms and they will die.
Find it quite strange that both clowns died. How did you acclimate them ?

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find it quite strange that both clowns died. How did you acclimate them ?
My lfs told me to bag float them for 30 mins. But I recently heard that if salinity is different from the lfs that you have to drip acclimate them. So probably just misinformation from my lfs.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always test the salinity of the water my new fish arrive in. Had a case where my sixline came in water siting at 1.020 while my tank runs at 1.026. If I hadn't tested, the fish would've probably not made it

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.
Yeah my son got upset when he didn't see them there. I'm going to wait until June to see 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia.

Maine mocha clownfish x2
Blue reef chromis x5
Royal gramma x1
Orange spotted goby x1
Tailspot blenny x1

My gph is 1370 for surface flow.
I have my heat at 79.5
Salinity 1.025
36 gallons
Heater 300w
36 pounds of rock
20 pounds of live sand
Uv sterilizer
Canister filter
White, green, and blue light

That's my planned stock list for when it cycles fully. Ammonia is 0.50 nitrites is 1.0 nitrates is 30. Salinity is still 1.025. And ph is 7.9 currently. Also waiting for ph to go up as well.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh you've got more than enough flow. Parameters all look good for where you are in your cycle :).
Have you noticed any diatoms (brown stuff) on the rocks or sand bed yet?

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my son got upset when he didn't see them there. I'm going to wait until June to see 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia.

Maine mocha clownfish x2
Blue reef chromis x5
Royal gramma x1
Orange spotted goby x1
Tailspot blenny x1

My gph is 1370 for surface flow.
I have my heat at 79.5
Salinity 1.025
36 gallons
Heater 300w
36 pounds of rock
20 pounds of live sand
Uv sterilizer
Canister filter
White, green, and blue light

That's my planned stock list for when it cycles fully. Ammonia is 0.50 nitrites is 1.0 nitrates is 30. Salinity is still 1.025. And ph is 7.9 currently. Also waiting for ph to go up as well.
Great stocking list too. Just watch those chromis, they've got a track record of picking off the weakest member of the group until there's hardly any left.

Do some research into a fairy wrasse, there's so many colour varieties and with their activity level and personality, would be a great addition to that list

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh you've got more than enough flow. Parameters all look good for where you are in your cycle :).
Have you noticed any diatoms (brown stuff) on the rocks or sand bed yet?
People here have been telling me flow is the most important thing if you don't want to have to buy a skimmer or a co2 scrubber lol. For that I don't see straight diatoms yet but I do see patchy flowy stuff growing on the rockwork. The WaveMakers blew it all around until the filter sucked it up. What do diatoms usually look like in a saltwater tank?
Great stocking list too. Just watch those chromis, they've got a track record of picking off the weakest member of the group until there's hardly any left.

Do some research into a fairy wrasse, there's so many colour varieties and with their activity level and personality, would be a great addition to that list
You don't think I'm over stocked already? Or borderline stocked? What's the feeding of a wrasse like?

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People here have been telling me flow is the most important thing if you don't want to have to buy a skimmer or a co2 scrubber lol. For that I don't see straight diatoms yet but I do see patchy flowy stuff growing on the rockwork. The WaveMakers blew it all around until the filter sucked it up. What do diatoms usually look like in a saltwater tank?

You don't think I'm over stocked already? Or borderline stocked? What's the feeding of a wrasse like?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-134852_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-134852_Samsung Internet.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a slight change in color of the whiter rocks I am starting to see slightly darker pigments but not serious like that. I'm assuming I may see it by the end of the week clearly.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow dont have much with use of skimmer or any other piece of equipment....

Flow can actually be factor that causes problems, both in low and high part...

Highest flow is not always better, vice versa, slow flow is not always bad thing, both have its plus and minus, pros and cons, but its all tank specific.....

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a good indicator that your cycle is progressing, you should see them pop up in a couple of days or so.

As for the wrasse, Mines currently on 4 feedings a day ( planning on reducing to 2 over time ). Eats anything and everything, plenty fun to watch how it "attacks" the food in the tank.
Was being fed 5/6 times a day at my LFS when I picked it up 3 weeks ago, hence the more frequent feeding I'm doing. Super easy fish otherwise

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow dont have much with use of skimmer or any other piece of equipment....

Flow can actually be factor that causes problems, both in low and high part...

Highest flow is not always better, vice versa, slow flow is not always bad thing, both have its plus and minus, pros and cons, but its all tank specific.....
Do you think such high flow for my 36g tank is bad? I have 2 480gph wavemakers, 1 filter outlet that's 360gph and 1 uv sterilizer that's 50 gph. I also hear some fish don't like the high flow what's your opinion on that with my stock list?

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a good indicator that your cycle is progressing, you should see them pop up in a couple of days or so.

As for the wrasse, Mines currently on 4 feedings a day ( planning on reducing to 2 over time ). Eats anything and everything, plenty fun to watch how it "attacks" the food in the tank.
Was being fed 5/6 times a day at my LFS when I picked it up 3 weeks ago, hence the more frequent feeding I'm doing. Super easy fish otherwise
I may wait on the wrasse until I figure out what I'm doing with the blue reef chromis cause I hear sometimes they start beefing with clowns even. So I'll have to inspect how the fish behave once I'm ready for them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back