OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been doing some reading about cycling my tank, sounds like I need to keep a source of ammonia in my tank at all time during the cycle since I don't have fish in it, to keep the bacteria that feed on ammonia alive. Is this true

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that but wasn't sure since the nitrite levels are pretty high

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U just started the tank it will be high. It's normal don't worry about it. Just add a couple of damsels they'll take it feed them let them poop and slowly adjust by water changes. Run carbon, change filter pads frequently.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is normal during a cycle and during the few months following it. It will most likely get much worse before it gets better, but with the right steps taken it will get better. You have to find the source of the algae, too long of a light period each day/bad lights, too many nutrients (phosphate and nitrate), not enough flow or most likely a combination of these are the most common causes in my experience. Do you plan on a clean up crew? If your ammonia has dropped and is holding at 0 for a few days in a row it's time to consider adding one :) They will make short work of the algae.
Nitrite is believed to be harmless in marine tanks. There's an article out there detailing the experiments with results. I don't have a link though sorry.
Also, please don't use fish to cycle the tank.
You know when you go into a freshly cleaned bathroom and the bleach/ammonia smell is really strong and sometimes it hurts to breathe? That's what a cycling tank is like for fish 24/7.
I would just grab some table shrimp and use them. They're already dead so there's no suffering involved, it's cheaper and it's 1,000,000,000x easier to take out of the tank than even the slowest damsels.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia has been at 0 for 3 days now, and I did use raw shrimp to start the cycle

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be time to consider adding a clean up crew. This should be more than enough of an ammonia source to tide you over till you can add fish :)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's hundreds of different species you could add.
I would look into turbo and cerith snails for algae, nassarius snails for uneaten food and maybe an emerald crab for algae, detritus and uneaten food too (I've never used them as I'm not much of a fan of crabs, but plenty of people have great success with them). And my favourite clean up crew members are shrimp for uneaten food :)
Do a bit of research into what you like best and what sounds best for your tank as like I said, there's hundreds of things you can add.
Lawnmower blennies are great algae eaters but I would wait till the tank is a little older before adding one. While the tank has algae now, it's possible once it dies back you won't have enough algae to feed one. Most of them will take prepared foods, but they still need a constant algae supply to graze on.

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just bought some stability and put the first dose in, now we wait

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long should it take for the nitrites to come down, been using stability for 3 days but they haven't budged.

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just about ready, any thoughts on what fish to put in. I thought about a couple snails, a hermit crab and 2 yellow tail damsels

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clownfish, chromis, do not add any tangs or angelfish or butterfly or triggers. I would have only clownfish, gobies, damsels, chromis, cardinalfish.

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to anything other than the damsels as of right now, but I think I need the snails to help with the algae

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back