New to SW aquariums

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long should it take for the nitrites to come down, been using stability for 3 days but they haven't budged.
I would continue doing as your doing (maybe bump up the dosage if you can) and if there's been no change in another two to three days try a different test kit and test again. Seems a bit strange they haven't moved at all in three days of dosing bacteria.

My tank is just about ready, any thoughts on what fish to put in. I thought about a couple snails, a hermit crab and 2 yellow tail damsels

If you add damsels now, chances are you won't be able to add any other fish. Damsels usually don't play well so any fish you add afterwards may be killed. There are always exceptions to the rule, but as a generalisation damsels are not a great idea.
Also, you'll need quite a few snails and a few hermits too, especially of you like to feed heavily :)
That list mentioned above is good, again I would forget damsels for now though.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A safe assumption is there are no peaceful damsels. There are a few species that are much more docile than others. But I still wouldn't call them peaceful like a cardinal might be. As a last addition to the tank he might be ok, but I've had (and currently have) yellow tails before and they can be VERY aggressive and even draw blood when they nip you. The one I have now fights off a 2ft snowflake eel who's just come out of a dormant phase so she's very hungry and not yet taking frozen foods which is making her very aggressive toward the damsel.
If you have your heart set on damsels, I would look into Talbots damsel. Some people have aggression issues with them, but a lot of people don't. I've never had issues with them :)

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I bought some of my clean up crew. Got 4 snail, 2 hermit crabs and went crazy and got a long spine urchin

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on getting coral anytime soon, at least not til I get a bigger tank and a lot more experience in the hobby. I did just put the urchin in the tank after acclimation for 2 hrs using the drip method. But one of the hermit crap hasn't moved since I put him in and the other one took off like he was on a mission

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a good idea to pick up a cheap piece of live rock with lots of coralline on it. Urchins love coralline :)
They can be picky about food too, so coralline is a great thing to have around.
Good luck!

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm not going to be able to keep the yellow tail damsels. They are nipping at the fire fish goby that I put in there

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I started my tank in August and just a helpful hint when you do start to add fish, definitely drip acclimate!!! It is only a couple bucks for a kit. I didn't drip acclimate my first couple of fish and they died. I haven't lost one since. There are also lots of helpful tutorials on you tube that I watched that helped me get my tank started etc... I started with 2 yellow tail damsels and then freaked cause they have such a bad reputation but they have been model citizens. I will list my fish in order that I added them to my tank. 10-hermit, 2-emerald grab, 2-yellow tail damsels,1- lawnmower blenny, 2-oscell. clown, 1-coral beauty, 1-yellow tang, 1-bubble tip anemone, 1 chocolate chip starfish. Everyone gets along great. Good luck and welcome.:nerd:

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, but looks like the damsels in your tank are smaller than the rest of the fish

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back