No filter sock in sump? Why Randy?

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the context of refugia discussions, it is (or should be) flow from tank to refugium and back, and IMO, 10x needed makes no clear sense.

That said, it is certainly possible that some people confound these different ideas: tank flow vs refugium flow through.

Ah gotch'ya, so my turnover is fine and most likely my tank flow would suffice for higher flow corals at 27x.
So I'm contemplating removing my filter sock to try to sustain a higher pod population. Is it something I can just remove without issue or will I need to replace it with something else like GFO, or vodka dosing etc.?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotch'ya, so my turnover is fine and most likely my tank flow would suffice for higher flow corals at 27x.
So I'm contemplating removing my filter sock to try to sustain a higher pod population. Is it something I can just remove without issue or will I need to replace it with something else like GFO, or vodka dosing etc.?

I'd remove it and see what happens. You can always add it back. :)

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove it and see what happens. You can always add it back. :)

Hahaha true, however I've read posts where tanks have crashed from removing filter media like bio balls. Would removing the sock potentially have the same result?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha true, however I've read posts where tanks have crashed from removing filter media like bio balls. Would removing the sock potentially have the same result?

No. :)

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ~1% daily I did was actually running for many 15 minute periods each day, so it was actually almost continuous. It is potentially less stressful on organisms to change water that way, and less stressful on me since I needn't match anything (not temp, salinity, etc.) and it runs automatically. I only needed to make up new salt water once a month or so and it did its thing on its own with a two line diaphragm pump on a timer.. :)

Hello Randy ... it's been pretty interesting reading up on a lot of your research & writings (as much as I could understand and remember ...). When you had stated that you "make new saltwater once a month or so and it did its thing on its own with a two line diaphragm pump on a timer..." my 2 questions are:
A. which particular diaphragm pump model (we do have a hard time looking for one let alone purchasing it in Toronto) and
B. new saltwater in a reservoir doesn't alter or change any trace elements that's in the synthetic salt in or around a month's in storage?

Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy ... it's been pretty interesting reading up on a lot of your research & writings (as much as I could understand and remember ...). When you had stated that you "make new saltwater once a month or so and it did its thing on its own with a two line diaphragm pump on a timer..." my 2 questions are:
A. which particular diaphragm pump model (we do have a hard time looking for one let alone purchasing it in Toronto) and
B. new saltwater in a reservoir doesn't alter or change any trace elements that's in the synthetic salt in or around a month's in storage?

Thank you

I used a dual head Reef Filler pump. It's loud so is only suitable for a garage or basement.

Salt mixes may have some precipitation of calcium carbonate (my IO did), but I'm not sure how much of that happened after the first day. I did not heat the water, which decreases the chances. Lower alk mixes won't have this trouble as much.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've removed my sock for the same reason as you want to. Its been about 2 weeks so far, and the biggest difference I've seen is there is particulate matter in the water column. No real measurable difference in the nutrient level. I love not changing and washing socks!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also removed my filter socks and the following happened:
GHA which had been an off and on problem, disappeared.
Water chemistry did not change other than PO4 went down by about .03
Coral, mostly sps and lps seemed not to notice.

I have a sump that is mostly filled with rock
A Pax Bellum algae reactor
Dose Red Sea A & B 5 days a week and Accropower 2 times weekly.

Feel that socks are only really beneficial to keep some particulates out of the water column but at the same time, unless they are changed out and cleaned daily, end up being as detrimental as they are beneficial.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run around 3-5 turnover through the sump after reading in Coral magazine many years ago that this was the norm in Europe. You know, German efficiency, baby.
It makes the entire system much quieter and is a more efficient use of energy as well. If you want more flow in the display, use powerheads up there. No sock either.

Centurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Dos works great for continuous water changes as well and is easy to use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it ... my company IT security wouldn't allow me to search for the Reef Filler pump info online ... ;Rage

Might not be available anymore. For decades they were sold by Champion Lighting, but they no longer list them.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be available anymore. For decades they were sold by Champion Lighting, but they no longer list them.

You are not wrong and I may have to search elsewhere for a dual Reef Filler pump ... sigh. Thanks for the confirmation ... saw our RC posting dated back in 2008!! :confused:

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also removed my filter socks and the following happened:
GHA which had been an off and on problem, disappeared.
Water chemistry did not change other than PO4 went down by about .03
Coral, mostly sps and lps seemed not to notice.

I have a sump that is mostly filled with rock
A Pax Bellum algae reactor
Dose Red Sea A & B 5 days a week and Accropower 2 times weekly.

Feel that socks are only really beneficial to keep some particulates out of the water column but at the same time, unless they are changed out and cleaned daily, end up being as detrimental as they are beneficial.
Well I have had a small algae problem for a month or so. I was changing my sock once a week [emoji849]
I think I'll go without it for a while

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run triton with the synergy reef sump my refugium grows like GSP.
My turnover is around 1000 my sump is louder than quiet but not bad.
The idea behind the high turnover so that your not running 2 systems is the slower flow in the sump would create a different environment. I didn’t read the whole thread.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who know how much turnover is going through your tank/sump, how are you getting your measurement? Are you putting a 1 gallon jug at the return line and timing it, or just taking a guess based on return pump specs?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who know how much turnover is going through your tank/sump, how are you getting your measurement? Are you putting a 1 gallon jug at the return line and timing it, or just taking a guess based on return pump specs?
guesstimated by head loss and then taking another 15% off. Since i oversized the return i figure it is close enough for my use.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to worry about turnover and flow rates through my sump and display but over time with keeping corals I've started to look more at how the polyps are flowing/reacting versus how much turnover do I have total. It's the corals that need the flow not the sump. People have too much variabilty in this hobby with great success for there to be a specific number required.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back