Official Grow out thread

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those do look great, good job Mike. I'm sure with your green thumb those other ones will make it. </pressure>

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's do a pic update next week?? How are our zoanthids doing??
What zoanthids?

lol

Another pic so soon? You will never see any growth with getting pics so close together. Anyway, I have still not refragged them yet. The best growth comes from the fragging, but I still want to wait another week or two to make sure everything is stable. I changed my lighting more for growth than eye appeal and have been setting up a doser with ph controller and a new skimmer I am getting used to its cleaning routine. Nothing is actually new but new to me. The skimmer is really large and strips the tank clean on just a few hours time so this is allowing me to target feed more often, though that has nothing to do with the zoanthids in the grow out since they are zoanthus, but I am trying the newer Brightwell Phytochrom for them besides the dilution from the target feed.
So much for all that, they are doing really nicely it looks like and I will get some pics soon.

bannshy

Why be Normal?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea, let me know what you think.
I think you should post individual pictures of each morph. We (those that are part of this grow out) get to submit names for each of these. Then we can take a poll and by the time we all get theses they will be famous named frags.

jeanheckle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you here

Hi Mike, Nice to find you!! What kind of growouts you got going here. You know I'm always interested:bigsmile:

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are doing fine and I think some are getting new polyps. Not really positioned int he tank for individual posts as was suggested and I have not been bothering them to check backside growth at this time. Once I begin to refrag them then I will get more detail on them. Probably be every week or two that I will update. Not really a lot to say about them in less times than that. I wouldn't really expect substantial growth from them until they start getting refragged and because of what I have seen with a few of the frags when they first got to me and a few other statments about their mortality rates I do not want to touch them until I know for a fact that they are completely settled in.

Hey Dori, how's everything? Just doing this grow out but I don't think there are any openings. I am just growing them out, not doing the who gets what and all. PM me how your stuff is doing. Mike

azr007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 8 of them and there are 2 in another tank with lights out right now.

IMG_4586.jpg

he he he he .... soon my friends. looks awesome can't wait mike.. Andrew (drewspuppet)

vietcu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think monthly updates should be fine, or whenever you frag should be fine. Weekly updates is crazy, there isn't going to be that much of a change week to week. Unless you are some zoa grower genius or something :).

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think monthly updates should be fine, or whenever you frag should be fine. Weekly updates is crazy, there isn't going to be that much of a change week to week. Unless you are some zoa grower genius or something :).

Well, in that case I better update couple times a day. lol. Wish. I agree, especially at the start. Growth is usually much slower with newly acquired zoas.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like my PH. They have sat for over a month now not doing a thing, but I noticed babies starting to pop up around the parameters now.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what was said earlier that monthly updates at this point will probably be fine, at least until they really take off in growth :D

I am so thrilled to be a part of this group-growout! I hope this is a growing trend (no pun intended) on this site :)

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates? :D

None if that question is to me. I have not gotten them fragged off the plugs yet. Was going to do it this week but had a mishap/injury but in the agenda to do it this weekend. They seem to have started some growth and all are looking very colorful and healthy. After I get them transferred growth should start to accelerate. I will probably go ahead and frag the frags a bit which will help to get some extra growth out of them and get them used to being fragged.
10 pple getting all those different zoas will take some fragging probably bi-weekly in order to keep on top of them.
What have I gotten myself into? :cry:
Update////11 pple. Hypertech for putting this together and coordinating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still also trying to get the last of the first grow out sent out. Not going too smooth so room wise I am still hard pressed. Some pple I have not even heard from and that after a month of emails sent out.
If any for the Nightmare/Rainbow grow out from SWF see this and have not gotten your frags, get em now OK? The plugs are overgrown and I am not going to frag them to larger mounts any more.
In the stages of setting up a 20 long in-line this weekend, depending whether lighting comes in by then or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back