!OPINION! on coral beauty in 60l?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye she was my last fish in tho i m going to put her in a larger tank,, do u know any good looking goby and shrimp pair? And do I need a deep sand bed as I only have about half an inch for the looks
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like diamond goby's if you can handle the sand storm. Go about 3 inches
The diamond goby is one of my favorites. They are always busy and visitors comment on their funny personality.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I post a lot.. I know :). As the title says, what's your opinions on a CB angel in a 60l cube?

Mine is in a reef with 2 clowns and the usual cuc

I do WEEKLY water changes and the water parameters are perfect and I test weekly too.

The tank is 60cm x 60cm x 60cm and the fish have plenty of space and plenty of hiding spots. They are very healthy

I think cubes are far better as its like a circular tank for sharks where they don't have to pace back and foward instead they swim around in circles I assure you he's happy and Healthy

No rude comments just OPINIONS

That is not a 60 l but about 220 liters cubic tank or about 60 gal.
For a Coral Beauty it is not the best size, a little small but not anywhere near impossible. I would choose a pair of Pygmy angel rather than a Coral Beauty

I just look at the first page and see everybody mistake this for a 60 litter tank. I think somebody on the second page saw the same thing I did so this post is redundant.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also off topic but are EU measurements not different to american ones?

Yes in Europe our gallons are larger at 4.5 liters as opposed to 3.8 liters in the US. So we have to do a little math to work out US volumes.

It's also confusing to us when we here 40 breeder 20 long etc as we don't buy tanks in that way so have to guesstheir dimensions.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes in Europe our gallons are larger at 4.5 liters as opposed to 3.8 liters in the US. So we have to do a little math to work out US volumes.

It's also confusing to us when we here 40 breeder 20 long etc as we don't buy tanks in that way so have to guesstheir dimensions.
Yeah cause we usaly get them in litres not gallons so it would be going to the shop for a 80l tank not a 20 gallon long and as you said our litrers are more so I think sometimes Americans get a bit tied up when we say something like a fish in a 60l tank but its bigger than they expect! I don't get how it works tho to me a litre is a litre and all american products I use are in us gallons so I need to work the measurements out lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess English feet are bigger than American feet. How about hands?
Why not just use the metric system like the OP. 60cm cube tank. That should be fine, and I see caught the size of the tank right away.

The OP did mistakenly post that his tank is a 60 litter cube tank, which is roughly 15 gal, but later in the post he state the dimention of the tank is 60cmX60cmX60cm. I see the discrepancy right away, but not everybody see this.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue sharks should have a big enough tank that it doesn't even need to be a circle anymore. :p

Coral beauties are pretty easy to keep so It will likely be fine in a 60 cube... But I think longer tanks are more ideal in a perfect world.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a potters angel in a 25 gallon temperarily for a month or so and that angelfish hated the 25g. It was easy to tell just how much more content he was when he moved into the 80g. Swimming...foraging...eating habits all became so much more natural and no pacing. I never saw him eat in the 25g but eats anything in the 80g.

Sinply...your tank is way too small. Coral beauties are an easier angel to keep and can survive in more poor living spaces.... but I bet if you put a delicate one in there they would prove to you that a small tank is inadequate.
@Tamberav
OP tank is not "way too small". It is a 60 gal cube tank, a 24"X24"X24". It is only 25% smaller than your 80 gal tank. Centropyge angels are small angels, they mostly darts in and out of reef structures, not straight line open water swimmer like tangs. It is a little sub-optimal for a Coral Beauty IMO, but not way too small for sure. Good or not for this fish depends a lot on the rock structure.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav
OP tank is not "way too small". It is a 60 gal cube tank, a 24"X24"X24". It is only 25% smaller than your 80 gal tank. Centropyge angels are small angels, they mostly darts in and out of reef structures, not straight line open water swimmer like tangs. It is a little sub-optimal for a Coral Beauty IMO, but not way too small for sure. Good or not for this fish depends a lot on the rock structure.

I already edited the post after I saw he posted dimensions. The title is misleading.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav
Yes she has plenty of live rock I have one island in the middle but its hollow and has loads of caves she loves to swim in and out of it contently,, I have a question tho I can't find anything online. So I feed meaty pellets and frozen myssis with garlic everyday, but to implement some algae into thair diets can I use algae pellets I use for my fw tank? The ingredients just read a type of algae. She does graze on the rock sometimes but I'd like to directly feed algae I think the brand is hikkari

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav
Yes she has plenty of live rock I have one island in the middle but its hollow and has loads of caves she loves to swim in and out of it contently,, I have a question tho I can't find anything online. So I feed meaty pellets and frozen myssis with garlic everyday, but to implement some algae into thair diets can I use algae pellets I use for my fw tank? The ingredients just read a type of algae. She does graze on the rock sometimes but I'd like to directly feed algae I think the brand is hikkari

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of posts that state the coral beauties like to swim and need a lot of room. I have a 4 year old coral beauty in a 29 gal. aqueon (i.e rectangular)

What these posts don't include that a coral beauty will also spend it's day weaving in and out of every nook and cranny endlessly searching for food to pick off the rocks.

I've been a believer that simply math formulas are, well too simple, to determine what size tank to place a fish. Territorial habits are just as important.

While a coral beauty will race end to end in the open water of ones tank, it will spend the majority of its time exploring the caves and passageways of in the rock work.

With regard to tank size, volume is less important that width. IMO, in tanks of equal volume, rectangular tanks would be better then cube tanks for coral beauties.

IMO, within reason, give the coral beauty lots of holes to explore and it will live a happy stress free life.

for the OP, IMO, tank is fine so long as the aquascape provides the exploration needs.

edit: my post is basically a ditto to @Tamberav I took too long to write mine :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use pellets that formulated for angels. Once establish, there will be plenty of algae growing on the rock structure for him if you have bright reef lighting on it.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of posts that state the coral beauties like to swim and need a lot of room. I have a 4 year old coral beauty in a 29 gal. aqueon (i.e rectangular)

What these posts don't include that a coral beauty will also spend it's day weaving in and out of every nook and cranny endlessly searching for food to pick off the rocks.

I've been a believer that simply math formulas are, well too simple, to determine what size tank to place a fish. Territorial habits are just as important.

While a coral beauty will race end to end in the open water of ones tank, it will spend the majority of its time exploring the caves and passageways of in the rock work.

With regard to tank size, volume is less important that width. IMO, in tanks of equal volume, rectangular tanks would be better then cube tanks for coral beauties.

IMO, within reason, give the coral beauty lots of holes to explore and it will live a happy stress free life.

for the OP, IMO, tank is fine so long as the aquascape provides the exploration needs.

edit: my post is basically a ditto to @Tamberav I took too long to write mine :)
Yes its good. There's caves that she weeves through, there's the blood shrimps cleaning station under an overhang on the rock that she likes to visit for a clean the corals are placed in a way that she can swim freely aithout bumping into any of them or stinging herself. She doesn't seem unhappy and there's also plenty of room for all of the fish to swim in the open water part of the tank. The big island is in the middle so they can swim around or over it although its just a few inches from the surface. In conclusion she's happy. I also agree on the tanks size not capacity as u can have a fish 5" in a 20 litre tank that's 30cm x 20cm x 30cm and its going to be misribale but u could put it in a 3 foot long plastic bin and it has more space but same water volume, obvs this isn't practical but u get the idea. My fish love the tank some months on

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use pellets that formulated for angels. Once establish, there will be plenty of algae growing on the rock structure for him if you have bright reef lighting on it.

I feed mostly frozen mysis and brine and reef frenzy what I can get my hands on it. SF Bay Emerald Entree is a brine/mysis cube for omnivores that rely on micro-algae and vegetable matter, like angels. My CB snapped it up (and loves mysys and brine)

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres plenty of algae in the tank on the rocks and such and he does graze but I was also hopping to feed the clowns a little too they don't graze there fat basta**s! They eat everything lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really easy to feed pellets multiple times a day with an automatic feeder. Eheim makes a really reliable feeder.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha
I feed mostly frozen mysis and brine and reef frenzy what I can get my hands on it. SF Bay Emerald Entree is a brine/mysis cube for omnivores that rely on micro-algae and vegetable matter, like angels. My CB snapped it up (and loves mysys and brine)
Thanks and yes oh do they love the myssis especially the one infused with garlic, if anyone hasn't tried this they need to. My fishes colours since I've started feeding it have gotten 10x clearer and brighter. No joke. My male wasn't really growing until I started feeding this he was so skinny now he's nice and plump and healthy. Not to mention it boosts their amune system

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really easy to feed pellets multiple times a day with an automatic feeder. Eheim makes a really reliable feeder.
I've seen them, personally I like feeding my fish, small amounts 2 times a day and feed some corals once a week. Really boosts colour and growth. Speaking of growth when a torch grows a new head does it start growing smaller tenticals then a head or it it just growing new tenticals?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch's head can split from one branch into two. They also grow small nub at the base stem that develops into a new head.

Personally I feed my fish when I am home, but during the day the auto feeder feed the tank 8 times, small amount each time.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch's head can split from one branch into two. They also grow small nub at the base stem that develops into a new head.

Personally I feed my fish when I am home, but during the day the auto feeder feed the tank 8 times, small amount each time.
it has 3 or 4 black deflated tenticals, the torch is fully open and happy. I've read online that this could mean its going to soon grow a new head as there on the bottom of it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back