ORV Shark Tank Advice

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm a restaurant owner located in southern Ohio, and I've been working on a business plan for a new restaurant with saltwater fish tanks and potentially a shark tank behind the bar (ORV sharks, not bottom dwellers). I've been a saltwater aquarist for around 15 years, and opening this restaurant has been a dream of mine for a long time. Yes, I know keeping sharks in captivity is very expensive, requires a massive tank, and takes a lot of work to do right. However, I plan to have a team of aquarists on-staff to help share the load. And I want to build the tank right the first time, so I'm gathering as much info as possible before moving forward.

I've spoken to a couple of experienced shark keepers, and they've recommended species like Finetooth, Atlantic Sharpnose, and Bonnetheads. It's looking like an oval-shaped fiberglass tank with viewing windows is going to be the best option for the tank itself. It'll be 26 feet long by 12 feet wide by 5 feet deep. I'm considering keeping the bottom bare for easier cleaning. Since these will be ORV sharks, they won't really need a sand bed or live rock in the tank.

I've heard a few different opinions on filtration and life support equipment, but I thought I'd check on here to see if anyone else has some opinions. It never hurts to ask around. I know there are a handful of experienced shark keepers on this forum, so it would be nice to get their perspectives.

Possibly the most important thing to consider other than tank size is filtration/life support. Right now, the plan is to install a saltwater-grade rotary drum filter, which will automatically remove waste from the water column and send it down the drain, eliminating the need to change or clean filter cartridges. From there, water would travel to a large sump (likely with a sand bed and lots of live rock), which would have an RK2 filtration system on it as a side loop. The RK2 system has a fluidized sand filter, and a massive protein skimmer. I will also likely add a UV sterilizer to the setup. For the sump itself, I'm thinking something like this would work. And a return pump somewhere in the range of 10,000-15,000 gph. I'll also have a couple of massive water change tanks to mix saltwater and store RO water, an inline heater built into the return line (or two, just in case one dies), and probably some kind of aeration assembly that would pump air bubbles into the tank.

So, those of you with experience keeping the species that I mentioned above, does this plan make sense from an equipment perspective?
The next thing I need to figure out is where to position the drain(s) and return pipes in the tank. I've read that some people put a drain at the bottom, while others stick to a surface skimmer (like a pool). Does anyone have any input on this?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is the smaller rk2 skimmers are excellent gear but have never been impressed with their bigger units. Which one are you looking at?
My lagoon is 7800 gallon display with about 600 gallons of sump I run rk2 40 lbs sand filter, 2 7 foot mrc quad Beckett skimmers , and I also have a diy 2x2 x10 bio tower. We run 1200 watts of UV and ozone. The bio tower seems unnecessary till you lose power and the sand filter goes down then it’s you best friend . Make sure to have a way to take the sand filter offline if it gets skunked. Our weir is at the top. I use iwaki and pan world pumps, circulation is via trolling motors Mine is in a Morton building with solar , propane generator and backup diesel generator. we keep the building at 78 degrees but have 3 5000 watt inline Heaters if needed. And make sure to get a good hvac guy and do heat exchangers is my advice. I use halides for the lights We have sand bottom, cleanings never been an issue. I do run my reefs bare bottom but not the lagoon

im not much help with the drum filter have never used one.

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is the smaller rk2 skimmers are excellent gear but have never been impressed with their bigger units. Which one are you looking at?
My lagoon is 7800 gallon display with about 600 gallons of sump I run rk2 40 lbs sand filter, 2 7 foot mrc quad Beckett skimmers , and I also have a diy 2x2 x10 bio tower. We run 1200 watts of UV and ozone. The bio tower seems unnecessary till you lose power and the sand filter goes down then it’s you best friend . Make sure to have a way to take the sand filter offline if it gets skunked. Our weir is at the top. I use iwaki and pan world pumps, circulation is via trolling motors Mine is in a Morton building with solar , propane generator and backup diesel generator. we keep the building at 78 degrees but have 3 5000 watt inline Heaters if needed. And make sure to get a good hvac guy and do heat exchangers is my advice. I use halides for the lights We have sand bottom, cleanings never been an issue. I do run my reefs bare bottom but not the lagoon

Thanks for sharing. Couple of questions for you:

What species do you house in the lagoon? Any of the ones I mentioned?

With the sand bottom, do you need to clean the sand to get rid of food scraps and fish waste? Curious about how you keep the tank itself clean. Every now and then I use a vacuum to clean the sand in my reef tanks, but obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with a giant sand bed in this tank.

And how often/how big are your water changes?

Also what is a bio tower?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Couple of questions for you:

What species do you house in the lagoon? Any of the ones I mentioned?

With the sand bottom, do you need to clean the sand to get rid of food scraps and fish waste? Curious about how you keep the tank itself clean. Every now and then I use a vacuum to clean the sand in my reef tanks, but obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with a giant sand bed in this tank.

And how often/how big are your water changes?
mine is a mixed reef. We have 4 rays and 2 grey bamboo sharks and several banded cat sharks And a few eels and a bumblebee grouper are the highlights.

We Change 10 buckets a month religiously, plus we go thru 2-3 buckets in the ato as the skimmers can easily produce 200-400 gallons a week and it would throw off salinity if we just used ro/di. It’s like a constant water change

cleaning. Long pvc handles on tools . I go in the tank as needed but try not to.

last fyi. I Would start with finding a good hvac guy as the salt vapor and evaporation took more messing with than anything else on our setup. Like our skimmer sump is in a room by itself so we can have fresh air even in the cold illinois winters but that took me year to figure out. Things like that

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio tier is just bioballs. Does same thing as a fluidized sand filter
Gotcha.

I hadn't really thought about the salt vapor and humidity and stuff like that, so I'm glad you mentioned it. We'll have to talk to our engineers about ventilation in the room with the tank/sump.

Anyway, thanks for your input

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you mean by heat exchangers? You mean for heating the water?

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's against forum rules to say you have a 7,800 gallon lagoon mixed reef and not post pictures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back