Pajama cardinal with closed up tail

r1ckep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my new pajama cardinals tail is closed up. I did not notice it yesterday (been in the tank for a day). One of my clowns is a little bully and has periodically nipped at the new cardinals, but nothing major. Is this disease or just stress?

IMG_0833.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One of my new pajama cardinals tail is closed up. I did not notice it yesterday (been in the tank for a day). One of my clowns is a little bully and has periodically nipped at the new cardinals, but nothing major. Is this disease or just stress?

IMG_0833.jpeg
This looks like aggression opposed to closed tail. Suspect: Any clowns in the tank?

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had two PJs and one would always get picked on by the other. It would bite the tail just like that. They are now living happily in two separate tanks. However one is still one a saddleback clown who tends to be a bit of an butt and will go after him on occasion.

OP
OP
r1ckep

r1ckep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Two clowns. One of them can be a bully, though not incessant. My research said they were compatible, but I guess every dish can be unique!

I’ve read that territorial fish can be “reset” by restructuring the tank. AKA, re-doing the rock work.

Any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Two clowns. One of them can be a bully, though not incessant. My research said they were compatible, but I guess every dish can be unique!

I’ve read that territorial fish can be “reset” by restructuring the tank. AKA, re-doing the rock work.

Any thoughts?

People try rearranging tanks to disrupt territories - sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't...the home range size of many fish is larger than our aquariums, so anything inside the tank is "fair game".

It looks like part of the cardinal's fin is missing? If so, you may have to separate it to allow it to heal.

Jay

OP
OP
r1ckep

r1ckep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up - looked even closer to the fish and yes, looks like it got nibbled. Went ahead and reformatted the rock structure (figured it wouldn’t hurt). So far this evening, the clown seems to be leaving the cardinals alone. And I actually like the new rock work better than the way I had it before. Let’s hope this works.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back