Palytoxin Poison concern, opinion please!

OP
OP
Camellia

Camellia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Slept day away, feel horrible total body hurts. Finger is about the same.
Got a BIG butt shot and this??
7A785B30-B711-4910-8D21-CD508D63D202_zpslymh0amc.jpg

Dr was actually familiar with Palytoxin, lived and worked on the West Coast for years. How lucky was that!
What is really strange to me is this horrible neck pain that came from nowhere?
Fed the fish, dog and ate a half gallon of ice cream a friend brought over to me,
Thanks a bunch y'all.
Good night, back to bed for me.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Slept day away, feel horrible total body hurts. Finger is about the same.
Got a BIG butt shot and this??
7A785B30-B711-4910-8D21-CD508D63D202_zpslymh0amc.jpg

Dr was actually familiar with Palytoxin, lived and worked on the West Coast for years. How lucky was that!
What is really strange to me is this horrible neck pain that came from nowhere?
Fed the fish, dog and ate a half gallon of ice cream a friend brought over to me,
Thanks a bunch y'all.
Good night, back to bed for me.

Feel better... that's generic for Levaquin a pretty decent antibiotic in the same family as Cipro. You probably got a mild dose of paly toxin and an infection from the cut.

Germ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out I have some of these hahaha I've handled them many times and didn't even realize what could've happened! No one told me this when I bought them 6-8 months ago when first starting the hobby lol! The guy said he didn't know what they were called but I thought they were cool looking so I got them!

5f6e7911b1db6def8229eca4118ae473.jpg

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my frag racks with vinegar to remove calcium deposits and did not notice I had a few that grew on the rack. If They are ruptured they give off an aerosol. I felt light headed and almost fainted, and was sick for a good twenty four hours. Felt like having the flu with lots of hacking and a sore throat. As long as you are careful when handling your Zoas you should be fine. With the case in Alaska a pragnemt lady was in the same room, not even handling the live rock, and it caused her to go into labor. BIO HAZARD!

Last edited:

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Camellia, hope you are feeling better.

I think the tricky part is all palythoas have different levels of toxins and each person reacts differently.

Julia Sprung has an excellent talk on Palytoxin.

LoCoFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure and watch it! I got poisoned from a coral in my system when I fragged a bunch of different things and ended up in the hospital for 4 days on iv antibiotics and they had to eventually cut the infection out. Just be sure and watch it, the whiteness around the hole is exactly how mine started and I was prescribed an oral antibiotic but it only got worse...

LoCoFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First picture was the second day, I went to the er as soon as it got red on day 1, they sent me home and it got worse when I started antibiotics

drewstaxplaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these palys? sorry, not trying to hijack just concerned on what could be or if i could end up with palytoxin if not careful

image.png

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^yes those appear to be palys.

Keep in mind this thread has veered into bacterial infection now. Palytoxin is not threated via antibiotic therapy.

The original poster most likely had an open wound, even a tiny sized wound and a bacterial pathogen was able to gain entry secondary to compromised skin integrity. Every hobbyist that I have known including myself had a cut or injury either from working in the tank or prior injury.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^yes those appear to be palys.

Keep in mind this thread has veered into bacterial infection now. Palytoxin is not threated via antibiotic therapy.

The original poster most likely had an open wound, even a tiny sized wound and a bacterial pathogen was able to gain entry secondary to compromised skin integrity. Every hobbyist that I have known including myself had a cut or injury either from working in the tank or prior injury.

I agree. Don't put open wounds in your tank, and wear protective gear if your handling palys. Also don't soak them in vinegar, they don't like that

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to beed another update to assure youre breathing still!

I agree with the bacterial infection vs paly toxin, based on all these articles.

However for thosnquestioning if they have palys, is it not true zoas also produce this? That being said...caution and research!

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates, is he still alive? My God I just bleached an entire tank full of these 370 gallons worth, I hate them, I knew there were toxic but I didn't realize that just a nick on your finger could cause this much of a problem

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing maintenance i accidentally got sprinkled with saltwater from the tank in my right eye, tiny winy bit. Next thing i knew my eye got swollen and became red like a cherry. Ah! that discomfort and irritation i can't ever forget. It took around a month to cure, i was on medication though! Them certain stuffs are nasties, you always need to have the protection gear bucked up your ally.

It would be better to discard the entire rock rather than scraping it off!

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started smaller than a needle point
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
OMG the same exact thing happened to me! The doctor gave me pill antibiotics that didn't do anything then red lines started going up my arm and my finger got huge and they had me on IV for like 5 days with a super strong broad spectrum antibiotic that made me want to puke. I still have a dent in my finger where it started, it melted a hole right in my middle finger. I'll try to find pics from when it happened

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back