Palytoxin Poison concern, opinion please!

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. I hope you never have to use it!

lol! absolutely, same here!

When you guys wash your hands, your fragging tools, and the area you worked in, what do you use and how do you clean it? I heard never use warm water. Is regular hand soap good enough? With the fragging tools you never want to use soap just in case you get it in the tank so what should we use?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! absolutely, same here!

When you guys wash your hands, your fragging tools, and the area you worked in, what do you use and how do you clean it? I heard never use warm water. Is regular hand soap good enough? With the fragging tools you never want to use soap just in case you get it in the tank so what should we use?
Dilute bleach solution to clean gloves, surfaces and equipment. I use 1 part bleach to 9 part water. I use this on my hands as well if I need, but I have to do that at work sometimes too. Some people will have too sensitive skin for that I assume.

Once the equipment and gloves are dry, they are safe for aquarium use again.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes....ive always been careful about using a knife during fragging but I had no idea it could cause all this if I had an accident!

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Taxman20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this topic while researching for myself. Guess whos in the ER right now for this very thing??? Winner winner, Me. Lol. I removed a rock full of Palys yesterday and chipped them off trying not to pop them. Some did pop, spread slime etc all over the rock. About a 5lb rock. So I used tank water to rinse it off before placing it back into the tank. Apparently I had a small scratch on a knuckle and it burned a little. Last night was awaken many times with throbbing pain in the knuckle. Worked today and it got worse. Now can barely move the finger and have pain in the fingers next to the scratch and also some up to my eblow area in the outer forearm. So here we go. Hopefully an injection and pills gets it healed up. It also explains why my shrooms and other Zoas looked ticked off after replacing the rock and doing a small water change.

Ive been messing with Reefs for about 20 years off and on. I almost always have scratches on my hands and arms and never once had an issue. So lesson learned. Ill be buying some full arm length reefing gloves this week. Ill repost on how this works out.

Happy reefing..

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you go the help soon and it wasn't that bad!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is important for all of us.
Let's us know how you are doing and what they used to help you out.
Take care and rest, man!!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this topic while researching for myself. Guess whos in the ER right now for this very thing??? Winner winner, Me. Lol. I removed a rock full of Palys yesterday and chipped them off trying not to pop them. Some did pop, spread slime etc all over the rock. About a 5lb rock. So I used tank water to rinse it off before placing it back into the tank. Apparently I had a small scratch on a knuckle and it burned a little. Last night was awaken many times with throbbing pain in the knuckle. Worked today and it got worse. Now can barely move the finger and have pain in the fingers next to the scratch and also some up to my eblow area in the outer forearm. So here we go. Hopefully an injection and pills gets it healed up. It also explains why my shrooms and other Zoas looked ****** off after replacing the rock and doing a small water change.

Ive been messing with Reefs for about 20 years off and on. I almost always have scratches on my hands and arms and never once had an issue. So lesson learned. Ill be buying some full arm length reefing gloves this week. Ill repost on how this works out.

Happy reefing..
I just read this whole thread and many people who went to the ER and got sent home with pills never responded after they said they were getting worse, kinda worrisome. That’s not good about you getting it today! Make sure you keep an eye on it and don’t be afraid to go back to the ER. You don’t want to have tissue necrosis.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact scenario why i always recommend wearing gloves. 99.9% you will be fine and not come in contact with it but there is still that chance, so why not toss of some safety equipment. Im not down paying what you’re going through at all. I just did an article on how to frag zoas and a few people chimmed in and made comments like you did, “been doing this forever with no gloves and never had an issue”. Only takes one time man. Be safe guys.

Oh, what kind of zoas/palys were they?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back