Please do a review/ article on the massive amount of red sea tank failures for the last five years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whomever is running the RB account on R2R has not logged on in almost a year.

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much pressure did you have to apply?
Not as much as I thought I would have to. They first sent the "we apologize blah blah but your tank is out of warranty. We can offer a discount on a new tank" and I made it clear that I would not accept that. I pushed to have someone from upper management call me asap. A couple days later I got an email saying they have approved a new replacement Reefer 350 G2. The only stipulation is that I have to sign something saying that this closes the claims process (so I cant still come after them for damages I assume). Luckily the damages are not too extensive.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They folded like a card table. I wonder if they are starting to fear legal ramifications as these cases continue to accumulate.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tens of thousands of dollars in damages:

From Humblefish's site.
1693241331040.png

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m up late tonight crossing my fingers as I’m writing this. Earlier in the day I discovered a 4.5” bubble in the bottom seam of my 750. It’s about half the height of the seam at the moment. It’s in the usual spot as others have posted.

I bought this in Dec of 2018 so it’s a V1. I had added the bandaid retrofit kit that RS had sent out. I was hoping this would take care of the issue but in the back of my mind I knew it was only a matter of time. Hopefully it holds till noon tomorrow when my LFS opens and can lend me a tank temporarily.

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpeg
    IMG_3535.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yours is the first pre break action am seeing

you noticed a clue that in my opinion just saved the living room from wet

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have owned a red sea reefer 350 then upgraded to a 525. I set the new 525 up level and perpendicular to the floor joists. It was only up for just under two years. I did notice overtime that my doors would slowly come out of level with each other. That was a sure sign to me that the feet were sinking on either side of the floor joists. I kept an eye on the tank seal and was planning to drain the tank. Fast forward and the wife wanted to move closer to the grandchildren. I broke down the tank and sold everything. When we pulled the the stand you could visually see where the feet were pushing a small slight dimple or dent between the joists. The door was engineered wood planks layer over the subfloor. I have often wondered if this was the cause of some of the tank failures. Fast forward and I purchased a new Red Sea reefer 850 G2. The front pane is supported and eased my mind. Additionally I paid a structural engineer to plan for the extra weight of the tank. built the new house and we have two extra floor joists added per the engineer. Additionally I set the new stand on a cut to fit the stand on 3/4 piece of plywood. The stand is white and I wrapped the plywood with a white self sticking tape and you have no clue the stand is sitting on plywood. My hope was to prevent any future feet from the stand to dimple between floor joists. Hope this helps others and I pray I have no issues!

Coys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seal on a reefer 170 front right gave out Monday to just below halfway down. Redsea requested pictures amd have just come back saying to strap the tank up and feed less but will not replace it as its 5 years old. And the seams haven't failed. What a joke going to take it further now.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbuilders is never, ever, ever, ever ever going to acknowledge this pattern but I'm very glad you posted, so that their readers can see the pattern even if they don't want to review it. I think it might be hard for them to give a fair review, with all the time spent selling on behalf of red sea to new purchasers who may not know about the break issues.

Coys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbuilders is never, ever, ever, ever ever going to acknowledge this pattern but I'm very glad you posted, so that their readers can see the pattern even if they don't want to review it. I think it might be hard for them to give a fair review, with all the time spent selling on behalf of red sea to new purchasers who may not know about the break issues.
Had an update that the tank seam has failed, but due to it being out of warranty there is nothing that can be done. Suggested I keep the water level below the failure and install a ratchet strap around the tank until I replace it. Surely R/S should realise the silicone seams should be lasting longer.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus who reefs with a ratchet strap can you post their communication log/a snippet of that recommend from them

*on a side note

now that Texas has done away with all vehicle inspection requirements, I expect to see a lot of ratchet strap hood holders and fender holders along with fully blocked toll-avoiding license plates lol. we're in a world of madness basically.

Coys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus who reefs with a ratchet strap can you post their communication log/a snippet of that recommend from them

*on a side note

now that Texas has done away with all vehicle inspection requirements, I expect to see a lot of ratchet strap hood holders and fender holders along with fully blocked toll-avoiding license plates lol. we're in a world of madness basically.
This is the snippet from the email admitting the tank has a problem after reviewing the photos they requested. I even told the the tank was 5 years old but they still requested the pictures to see what they could do. Anyway here’s the snippet…..

Thank you kindly for your patience whilst we investigated your Reefer 170 claim.

After reviewing the photos you have kindly provided of your aquarium we are sorry to advise that we do believe the aquarium is at risk of failure. Please could we recommend as a precaution to briefly rehome your livestock and drain the aquarium if you can in the meantime. Understandably if this is not possible, please can we strongly recommend to install a ratchet strap to the aquarium and keep the water level below the bubble in the seam. Keep feeding to a minimum and add a heater and circulation pumps to the aquarium.

Whilst we are sympathetic to your circumstances, we have gone through our records and whilst we were able to find a registration for the aquarium this was however in 2018 and as a result we sadly have to apologise and say that unfortunately we are unable to progress this claim under warranty as the aquarium is no longer within its warranty period.

Our sincere apologies that we were unable to provide you with better news on this occasion.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is very very helpful for our logs thank u for posting

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS sure has it's response nice and polished up, not that it helps much. This hobby dies if the normal lifespan of a tank life is under 5 yrs. Thank goodness other aquarium manufacturers are not having this same frequency of issues.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why anyone would do business with them on any iteration of reef tanks they make, G2, G3, G4 etc. the same company that left him hanging is responsible for upkeep of those tanks too

horrible, horrible in my opinion. I don't know why our buyers are so fickle they still pay them for tanks after seeing all these threads.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All glass tanks will fail eventually. 100 percent of all glass tanks will fail if the end user doesn’t do the required maintaince. silicone needs to be resealed , best solution is to buy acrylic tanks. those don’t fail

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All glass tanks will fail eventually. 100 percent of all glass tanks will fail if the end user doesn’t do the required maintaince. silicone needs to be resealed , best solution is to buy acrylic tanks. those don’t fail
100 percent of humans will die, 100 percent of stars will burn out and acrylic aquariums do fail. Gross generalities are useless.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 percent of humans will die, 100 percent of stars will burn out and acrylic aquariums do fail. Gross generalities are useless.
Really show some data on acrylic failures. yet to see a group of Tenecor bashears on here with wet living room floors.

show me one silicone manufacturer who would not suggest resealing any glass tank at least every 10 years. It’s got a lifespan. It’s kinda common knowledge.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply indicated that your generalization was a silly because it was from an obtuse and biased context.

If you want to see acrylic tank failures, search for them.

As for providing data - you made the assertion, you should be the one backing it up with data.

So, please directly cite aquarium manufacturers and said language, not "common knowledge", that silicone and glass aquariums must be resealed every 10 years.

Furthermore, please compile the statistical data showing the failure rates of silicone and glass aquariums by years in service.

I am sure those following along will find the information very useful.

In the meantime, I have to go feed my fish that are swimming around in a 25+ year old glass and silicone aquarium.

Back