Popcorn ceiling killing my hard coral?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I believe that mydsb fuge is what has kept my system so fantastic for years. It has been running for years now. I am 90% sure that is not the problem. I may eventually try it just to prove to other people that that is not it

Not saying it is the problem, I actually like DSB systems and am not married to any one way of Reefing. Just pointing out that it is the biggest variable on your system. If you eliminate that as a possible cause first it will help significantly narrow down your list. But it's your system and that's my reccomendation, you do with it what you wish...

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying it is the problem, I actually like DSB systems and am not married to any one way of Reefing. Just pointing out that it is the biggest variable on your system. If you eliminate that as a possible cause first it will help significantly narrow down your list. But it's your system and that's my reccomendation, you do with it what you wish...

+1, wondering if it would be worth while to vacuum the sand out completely...

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this happen to start when you added the R most recent Eunice? That was a big dude.. Wondering if he has disturbed your dsb enough to release some nasties..

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, wondering if it would be worth while to vacuum the sand out completely...

I would. I know a bunch of long term DSB users and they have all moved over to a bed replacement schedule after experiencing issues once beds have been up for years. Every six months to a year they now replace a quarter of the bed.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Thank you. I appreciate the opinions. :)

Nightshiner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me id drain every single drop of water possible and start with fresh saltwater. Thats what I did when my tank was poisoned with a bottle of listerine.

C.bldwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a similar problem with a tank I maintain for my boss. About half of the hammers, SPS, and zoa's were starting to die, all the parameters were well within normal range. After trying 3 large water changes, removing the newly added Gfo and turning off the vinegar dosing over the course of 3 weeks there was no change. So I started to check the equipment and ended up finding out his Coralife UV sterilizer had started rusting and water had also penetrated the sealed section for the bulb and was allowing stray voltage into the tank as well. I did another water change and removed the sterilizer and the next day the corals were starting to open again.

DCharbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you moved recently? After the move is when you started to experience issues? Have you changed your water source from where you used to live? Tested your new water source for contaminants not found in your old one? If this was already addressed, sorry, lots to read here.

Tiggy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just so weird. My Hollywood stunner and plate Coral we're two of my first corals and they are both all but dead. Parameters are perfect. Certain LPS are dying While others are just fine. Softees seem to be doing better than ever. Almost all sps are dying.
I had a mysterious coral die off & found out after all the fall out months later that my local municipality was putting mass quantities of chloramines in our water system. Check with your water company. By law they have to provide you with a report on what they put in your water. Do an ammonia test! That is how you test for chloramine in your tank

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know there's a story with that Listerine
If it was me id drain every single drop of water possible and start with fresh saltwater. Thats what I did when my tank was poisoned with a bottle of listerine.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I did move about and 40 minute drive from where I lived. I still drive the hour to get water where I always have. The first month or two I was here all my corals were looking fantastic. The only things that changed around that time was switching from regular frozen mysis shrimp to a local pet stores frozen food. And I upgraded from a 40 breeder to a 75-gallon. Other than that the system is exactly the same
You said you moved recently? After the move is when you started to experience issues? Have you changed your water source from where you used to live? Tested your new water source for contaminants not found in your old one? If this was already addressed, sorry, lots to read here.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I added a 48 inch dual T5 to my two LED fixtures as well.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a full testing today. All parameters are in check with exception to nitrates jumping to 30 PPM probably from me trying to feed more. And calcium was a bit short. Probably from the water changes
I had a mysterious coral die off & found out after all the fall out months later that my local municipality was putting mass quantities of chloramines in our water system. Check with your water company. By law they have to provide you with a report on what they put in your water. Do an ammonia test! That is how you test for chloramine in your tank

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone mention this yet....
Cleaning products! I know someone that killed everything on his tank by a mistake of spraying cleaning products near it.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sorry, did not read the entire story here but seems you still got issues.

My first checkpoint is to maintain No3 2-3ppm and PO3 to be lifted into 0.15 ppm range via Reef Nutrition Phytofeast. That takes only a few days ;-)
LPS dont like ULNS, and ALK higher then 8 burns all tissue while Nutrients are super low.

However, there might be a bacterial issue. For that watch out for whitish furry growing stuff in the low flow corners. Can also look stringy and the water appears a bit white or haze in the day looking along the tank from side to side. Also these non reef bacteria are limiting Coralline to grow. Watch for those symptoms.

Another issue might be a real contamination with heavy metals or something, for that I would preventively use a Triton Detox dosage for the tank. That requires activated carbon to strip it out, and here I would use Red Sea Reef spec to get all the crap out of the tank for once.
After that back to normal and see if things improve.

-Andre

Bluecup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change anything or get anything new in the month before you noticed the problem?, any new rock, salt, marine pure, sand anything different.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back