Project Apex (Black Edition) by Elder1945

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I have the apex classic and was very disappointed that to get a Wi-Fi model I would need a new apex. That is making me look more seriously at GHL, only because I like the clean straight lines of their products versus apex's odd shapes that are difficult to put in tight quarters. I mean how hard would it be to release a WiFi module that could retro fit the old classic apex's to WiFi and use the newer power bars( again another wierd shape)
There are lots of WiFi bridges available for under $20.00 these days. They are small and look nicer then anything new from Neptune.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I have the apex classic and was very disappointed that to get a Wi-Fi model I would need a new apex. That is making me look more seriously at GHL, only because I like the clean straight lines of their products versus apex's odd shapes that are difficult to put in tight quarters. I mean how hard would it be to release a WiFi module that could retro fit the old classic apex's to WiFi and use the newer power bars( again another wierd shape)

I like what you did on your tank with ghl and am curious as to how you like it over apex?

Now that I have a GHL I can no longer look at Apex the same... I was a huge fanboy making some elaborate mounting boards and more for my personal tank.. I think (Apex) as a product is "good" not "Great" anymore.. Does it work? absolutely! Does it have a crazy amount of capability? Yes! BUT... After using GHL Apex has lost its "Cutting edge" "Number one" "The best ever"... It just does not hold up as well as some of the options out there.

Overall the Apex is a great option for your tank, Do I think it was worth the over $10,000 I have dumped into the ecosystem though? nope.

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I am going to be stickign with the pex is because of that new trident controller.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of WiFi bridges available for under $20.00 these days. They are small and look nicer then anything new from Neptune.
yes but they dont make my classic apex compatible with the new power bars, Apex deliberately decided to not make it backward compatible.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have a GHL I can no longer look at Apex the same... I was a huge fanboy making some elaborate mounting boards and more for my personal tank.. I think (Apex) as a product is "good" not "Great" anymore.. Does it work? absolutely! Does it have a crazy amount of capability? Yes! BUT... After using GHL Apex has lost its "Cutting edge" "Number one" "The best ever"... It just does not hold up as well as some of the options out there.

Overall the Apex is a great option for your tank, Do I think it was worth the over $10,000 I have dumped into the ecosystem though? nope.
Well i appreciate your honest words, and i remember your "fan boy" tank for apex. I think you took me off the fence with GHL, and will go that rout for my controller upgrade.

Thanks!

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I am going to be stickign with the pex is because of that new trident controller.
the trident controller is another reason why i am leaving apex. It is another odd shape that cannot be easily accommodated in tight quarters. It will more than likely be cheaper than GHL's Kh director, but i would rather deal with a better-looking product than a cheaper one. My other frustration is with the battery back up of the WAV pumps, or the lack thereof. A shame they didn't think to have a batt back up for pumps on their controller.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, besides the form factor, what do you find functionally better in GHL than the new Apex? I’m literally struggling to come up with more things to do with my Apex. Is it software / interface or features?

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, besides the form factor, what do you find functionally better in GHL than the new Apex? I’m literally struggling to come up with more things to do with my Apex. Is it software / interface or features?
That's a good question.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the trident controller is another reason why i am leaving apex. It is another odd shape that cannot be easily accommodated in tight quarters. It will more than likely be cheaper than GHL's Kh director, but i would rather deal with a better-looking product than a cheaper one. My other frustration is with the battery back up of the WAV pumps, or the lack thereof. A shame they didn't think to have a batt back up for pumps on their controller.
If it does what they say it will do, at the price they say it will, as reliable as they say it will, it could look like butt for all I care, it's getting stuffed in a drawer.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First major issue...

This arrived in the mail... Finally :p

Second, even more of a issue that will shut down this project for the rest of the week.....

I did however make a stand for the Vive as it comes with nothing to hold it when not in use.

:p

Off topic (I guess??), but I picked up a Vive finally after playing on my friend's. NEED that storage board. Amazing.

sunnyc90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up with the thread and gotta say, its pretty epic case you built there for the controller.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging up an old thread here.

@Elder1945 did you ever decide to give this another go?

It would have to take convincing my wife but there just happens to be a spare Apex sitting at my house that could use some international travel....

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging up an old thread here.

@Elder1945 did you ever decide to give this another go?

It would have to take convincing my wife but there just happens to be a spare Apex sitting at my house that could use some international travel....

Yes I did get it going, including a DOS and a hand full of modules. I planed on doing a full system then some sort of ridiculous mounting thing.... It is hard though some times when doing projects like this and not having any support. This project was out of my own pocked and not sponsored at all. I did not pay retail but still payed out of pocket for everything done.

This build did not get the reaction I expected from the company i was trying to impress... I honestly thought it was going to go a different way and instead of chasing some reaction that would never happen I just walked away.

It is kinda my own fault for not looking into all of the "rules" and "regulations" I was just having some fun.

Most if not all of my builds are for fun. You can ask most people I have done builds for as I give them away for 100% free or just charge material cost.

You never know though I might resurrect this as you are one of a few hundred people who have asked :)

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know though I might resurrect this as you are one of a few hundred people who have asked :)

Then let's see it! This has been the worst cliff hanger ever... and now you're telling me there is more?

I am really interested to see what you did with the DOS, they are so awkward...

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then let's see it! This has been the worst cliff hanger ever... and now you're telling me there is more?

I am really interested to see what you did with the DOS, they are so awkward...

One day... I again might re build something along this line one day but we will see. I have quite a few builds lined up to post on R2R so its on the back burner for sure.

The controller is in Sweden now, Its a long story but I ended up shipping it over for a friends system. He never used to my understanding LOL.

A 4 headed DOS would be cool to make or did I already make that.... We will never know...

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did get it going, including a DOS and a hand full of modules. I planed on doing a full system then some sort of ridiculous mounting thing.... It is hard though some times when doing projects like this and not having any support. This project was out of my own pocked and not sponsored at all. I did not pay retail but still payed out of pocket for everything done.

This build did not get the reaction I expected from the company i was trying to impress... I honestly thought it was going to go a different way and instead of chasing some reaction that would never happen I just walked away.

It is kinda my own fault for not looking into all of the "rules" and "regulations" I was just having some fun.

Most if not all of my builds are for fun. You can ask most people I have done builds for as I give them away for 100% free or just charge material cost.

They're rather DIY un-friendly, heck at times I'd say openly hostile towards some parts of the community. Don't dare post part SKU's on a medium that's vendor controlled or else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back