Project Apex (Black Edition) by Elder1945

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Neptune would donate a couple for the free advertising of having an enthusiasts mod community.

They might even license your design for a special edition series.

Someone tag Terrence.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Neptune would donate a couple for the free advertising of having an enthusiasts mod community.

They might even license your design for a special edition series.

Someone tag Terrence.
Only problem is earlier in the thread Terence mentions not liking this particular design (don't know what he is smoking out there in CA, must be the cheap stuff) and Neptune as a whole doesn't and will not support modding due to the risk of injury and malfunctions.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem is earlier in the thread Terence mentions not liking this particular design (don't know what he is smoking out there in CA, must be the cheap stuff) and Neptune as a whole doesn't and will not support modding due to the risk of injury and malfunctions.
They sort of have to say that due to legal reasons I would think.

They probably get a little weird about techies ripping into their proprietary stuff to.

Still, I do like the idea of apex special editions like the PS, Xbox and enthusiast computer companies make.

If they had a few designs like that, id probably buy one when I upgrade.

Some will say special editions is just a gimmick money grab...those would be the people who drive Honda accords and give their kids participation trophies so they don't really matter any way.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just need hire @Elder1945 to do their next housing design.
Still, I do like the idea of apex special editions like the PS, Xbox and enthusiast computer companies make.

If they had a few designs like that, id probably buy one when I upgrade.
@Terence ... Hint hint nudge nudge

I really like my Apex 2016 and it does absolutely everything I want it to, but I too am not a huge fan of the layout. The Neptune ecosystem as a whole is a big perk...but form factor for most of it could use some help...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think Neptune is interested in sending me anything :).. I had fun on this project and wish it worked out TBH. I still have a new EB832 and EB8 on order just to see...
I Think this project will end but we will see.... . . . I was going to do a painting tutorial as this is more in line with what people will do and or risk with there apex units. There is only so much time I have and with absolutely no support from Neptune it is kinda hard to debug or figure out what is going on.

I guess I am on to the Next project LOL ;). Or am I...

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the head unit....

Well finished the project for now.. :(

I blew up the RB832.... LOL I did something and was too aggravated to trace back.. I did this however with the Apex connected and bricked it.... :(

This is me debugging the Apex Head unit to see what is wrong... I give up....

I have 2 options now..

1. Give up

2. Buy another apex and give it a go again :). I have a few thousand invested in this project for no real reason so whats another thousand :p. It comes down to time as I have none :(....... We might have to go on hold.

We will see but I think I have a $1000.00 4gb Sandisk micro sd and a wifi dongle so its not that bad LOL :). Also that cool looking battery.... LOL
Looks sweet! A piece of orange acrylic mounted inside behing the logo would look good and make the logo pop

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially dumb question here, as you are obviously far more educated/experienced in tech than I am, is it possible to flash the bricked head unit from a working one? I know this can be done with PC hard drives....

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Why do I feel this project just came to a halt due to the nonsense that filled pages 7 and 8.

Elder, it would not be you if you stopped here. I expect you to complete this awesome project.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For the record, I dislike the design of the new APEX. I much prefer event the old industrial no frills flat boxes to the new stuff.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I wish this was this issue..

It is honestly because I blew up the apex with the EB832. I have no issue spending the money on a new apex to try again and will end up breaking down and doing so. For now thought I have over $3,000 invested in this project for no real reason. I am not receiving "free" or sponsored apex gear and or support so as of now I have no real incentive to continue.

It is cool attaching R2R to my projects as I love this forum but I would rather do this project (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r2r-themed-sump-by-elder1945.326591/) and give R2R all the exposure :).

I can see Neptune's position and respect it. I just do not enjoy censorship in and form.

I am also trying to get my personal build up and going so this is taking quite a bit of time.

I will be talking to Neptune and hopefully Terence on a project we could do together but just waiting on some free time.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I wish this was this issue..

It is honestly because I blew up the apex with the EB832. I have no issue spending the money on a new apex to try again and will end up breaking down and doing so. For now thought I have over $3,000 invested in this project for no real reason. I am not receiving "free" or sponsored apex gear and or support so as of now I have no real incentive to continue.

It is cool attaching R2R to my projects as I love this forum but I would rather do this project (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r2r-themed-sump-by-elder1945.326591/) and give R2R all the exposure :).

I can see Neptune's position and respect it. I just do not enjoy censorship in and form.

I am also trying to get my personal build up and going so this is taking quite a bit of time.

I will be talking to Neptune and hopefully Terence on a project we could do together but just waiting on some free time.

Great work anyway as always.
Although no matter how pretty you make it look, it's still not a GHL.[emoji12]

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still working on this on and off... I have lost quite a bit of interest overall with the whole Apex ecosystem. With so many controllers now and more on the way it is hard for me to stay focused on this.

Is the project dead absolutely not.. I am however spending my time doing other projects that will be posted soon :).

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still working on this on and off... I have lost quite a bit of interest overall with the whole Apex ecosystem. With so many controllers now and more on the way it is hard for me to stay focused on this.

Is the project dead absolutely not.. I am however spending my time doing other projects that will be posted soon :).
I know what you mean. I have the apex classic and was very disappointed that to get a Wi-Fi model I would need a new apex. That is making me look more seriously at GHL, only because I like the clean straight lines of their products versus apex's odd shapes that are difficult to put in tight quarters. I mean how hard would it be to release a WiFi module that could retro fit the old classic apex's to WiFi and use the newer power bars( again another wierd shape)

I like what you did on your tank with ghl and am curious as to how you like it over apex?

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I have the apex classic and was very disappointed that to get a Wi-Fi model I would need a new apex. That is making me look more seriously at GHL, only because I like the clean straight lines of their products versus apex's odd shapes that are difficult to put in tight quarters. I mean how hard would it be to release a WiFi module that could retro fit the old classic apex's to WiFi and use the newer power bars( again another wierd shape)

I like what you did on your tank with ghl and am curious as to how you like it over apex?
I have my old apex, powerbar, and modules stuffed literally into an Ikea Bookshelf Drawer, I do not think that would work with the new one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back