OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just do what you do, cause you like to do it. Your really good at what you do. Do you really need a ,"good job" from Neptune?

I'm just Dan. But Good job!!!

:) The last thing i need is a "good job" from Neptune but I would like to support companys that atleast dont delete my threads. But thank you Dan :) I am happy so many people enjoy my builds.

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away. However if you are posting images and ideas for modifying the case and asking what people think, that is probably not going to be cool. This is not something we want people doing. As it is there are many unknown factors due to how you have changed things around. Not saying it is any issue, but I would not want our customers to think it is somehow a good idea, sanctioned, or without significant risk.

I understand Neptune's position but to be honest (I'm sure you've heard this before) Terrance the form factor of the current Apex and even the yet to be released Trident suck. They are ugly, and it may be nice for you all to pull more from the community on design aspects. In all honesty the only reason I haven't upgraded my classic is because of the look of the 2016. And if someone post on the company forum you all could always add the obligatory 'the views expressed do not represent Neptune' or 'try this at your own risk' to the thread.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some facts on the position from Neptune Systems so that no speculation is necessary from anyone.
  • Consumers are free to like the look of the new Apex or not. Just like with any product. And they can and should be heard.
  • Customers are free to do whatever they want with their purchased products. They own them. That said, alterations may significantly change the performance of that product in ways that are unknown; safety may also be compromised. Once altered, a product will not be covered by our warranty.
  • Neptune Systems has no official opinion or position the alterations made in this thread - aesthetically or otherwise.
  • Neptune Systems has not petitioned to have any post regarding this thread deleted from R2R
  • Neptune Systems reserves the right to moderate our own community forum in the way we see fit. To this end, we do not allow posts that pitch, describe or demonstrated reverse engineering or gross modifications to our products. This is NOT the same thing as DIY.
  • Posts, when taken down, should receive notice from the moderator via PM. I have been told this was done in this particular case.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now here is something from me personally.

I have, on many occasions posted publicly (forums and FB) regarding how nice the Apex boards are that Elder has built for many hobbyists. Kudos given and kudos deserved. However, on this particular build it is something entirely different. I cannot get behind this kind of project because it is not something I want any other customer to emulate. Also, at this point no one even knows if this modification will work or not. I am not saying it won't, but due to the modifications of the connectors, the flat cables, and then the orientation of the wifi chip, the use of metal for the case - these are all variables.

Now to the design. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do not criticize the opinion of others when it comes to designs they appreciate, or dislike, for aesthetic reasons. For me, this metal box is not attractive or practical for a number of reasons. But that's just me and I understand that others will love it. Awesome. I have no interest in the back and forth on the topic of Apex aesthetics here.

So keep on trucking with this mod. I think it's cool that customers are engaged in any way.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Thanks for the clarification on Neptune's stance on this build. I will have to sleep on this project and any future projects planed with Neptune gear. Might have to re house the GHL controller now LOL.. Making it wall mounted would be cool eh??

Now to the bullet points...
  • Consumers are free to like the look of the new Apex or not. Just like with any product. And they can and should be heard. Unless it is on your corporate forums...
  • Customers are free to do whatever they want with their purchased products. They own them. That said, alterations may significantly change the performance of that product in ways that are unknown; safety may also be compromised. Once altered, a product will not be covered by our warranty. Yes Do Not Try This At Home :p
  • Neptune Systems has no official opinion or position the alterations made in this thread - aesthetically or otherwise. LOL sorry...
  • Neptune Systems has not petitioned to have any post regarding this thread deleted from R2R. Yea I was not worried about losing this thread on R2R and is why this forum is amazing!
  • Neptune Systems reserves the right to moderate our own community forum in the way we see fit. To this end, we do not allow posts that pitch, describe or demonstrated reverse engineering or gross modifications to our products. This is NOT the same thing as DIY. Yes you do and now I know not to ever post on your forum.. I am just re making the case not remaking the APEX... (i guess i added some ribbon cables.. On a side note this will help with interference with the Salinity probe and I might get consistent readings?)
  • Posts, when taken down, should receive notice from the moderator via PM. I have been told this was done in this particular case. Yes this happened after it was done. My post asking why this happened was also taken down instantly.
All in all I am not dumb and can see where Neptune is coming from. Would be cool if this supported by Neptune! Would make this build so much better. I guess that was a pipe dream.

So much for me trying to get a job at Neptune :p.

I would like to Thank @Terence for the interaction on this thread. At least I know now you don't like my metal box :(. I do wonder sometimes what Neptune thinks of my builds :).

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Thanks for the clarification on Neptune's stance on this build.
Now to the bullet points...
  • Consumers are free to like the look of the new Apex or not. Just like with any product. And they can and should be heard. Unless it is on your corporate forums...
That is absolutely untrue. The reason your post was taken down did not have anything to do with you slamming the aesthetics. We have many posts on the forum where customers talk about what they like or do not like about our products, including the appearance.

Again I think you are still confused. What is NOT allowed is a roadmap to reverse engineering or gross modifications of our products.

We run what is likely the most open and successful manufacturer's forum in the industry. We did not get there by quashing discussion or not allowing dissent.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have started a new project!

As some of you know I was not so impressed with the Apex launch and the overall look of the unit.. Neptune has fixed almost every issue they had at launch and now i am only hearing good things..... This now just leaves the look of the unit.. . . .

Now the look of the Apex does not effect performance or functionality at all just in my opinion it looks unpleasant. #uncool :p

This leads me to my new project or should I say set of projects as there might be a cough R2R one soon.. .. . . ..

This has just arrived!

So the idea is to take everything apart and re make the housing from scratch. I plan on going black on black with a hint of orange as I plan on utilizing the Lights in the EB832 and the head unit. I also have quite a few ideas that I am excited about :)

Follow along and lets make a "Cool" apex together :p

@Terence ??? you think this voids the warranty LOL j/k (but seriously i know it voids all warranties :p)

Gee you don't need to turn it black. I'll be happy to give you my black classic in exchange forbyours

Mohammad D. ALMUTAIRI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is getting interesting ;Woot

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the fun now?

Yes! I will have to see where I stand on this build and go from there.

I did hit a brick wall on the EB832 as the PCB is massive.... Like massive. I will have to see if the stainless looks on it or not and go from there.

That is absolutely untrue. The reason your post was taken down did not have anything to do with you slamming the aesthetics. We have many posts on the forum where customers talk about what they like or do not like about our products, including the appearance.

Again I think you are still confused. What is NOT allowed is a roadmap to reverse engineering or gross modifications of our products.

We run what is likely the most open and successful manufacturer's forum in the industry. We did not get there by quashing discussion or not allowing dissent.

Ok sounds great!

I never slammed the look of the apex btw in this post or the one I had on your forum.

This is from the first post on this thread

"Now the look of the Apex does not effect performance or functionality at all just in my opinion it looks unpleasant. #uncool :p" I guess this is "Slamming" the look.

I was trying to be a politically correct as possible and build some bridges with me and Neptune but I failed... I wanted to collaborate on something in the near future but this will never happen.

But this is a augment I will never win. It is your literal job to prove me wrong and I get this. I will just have to agree to disagree.

Back to the build now :)

p.s do you want to collaborate on something? :p

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never slammed the look of the apex btw in this post or the one I had on your forum.

Back to the build now :)
It is NOT my job to win an argument. You just keep refusing to read what I write. I specifically said, above, "The reason your post was taken down did not have anything to do with you slamming the aesthetics"

I am interested in seeing where this goes so build on.

The PCB in the 832 is huge because there is a lot in there, and there are safety considerations regarding component and trace layout that must be followed. As big as people think the EB832 may be, the reality is there is a ton of functionality packed into it including the power monitoring as well as a 100W DC power supply for the 1LINK and 24V DC outlets.

I have never closed the door on any collaboration. Furthermore, if you need exact measurements and what not for your boards from any of our products, simply ask away and we can get those for you.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is NOT my job to win an argument. You just keep refusing to read what I write. I specifically said, above, "The reason your post was taken down did not have anything to do with you slamming the aesthetics"

I am interested in seeing where this goes so build on.

The PCB in the 832 is huge because there is a lot in there, and there are safety considerations regarding component and trace layout that must be followed. As big as people think the EB832 may be, the reality is there is a ton of functionality packed into it including the power monitoring as well as a 100W DC power supply for the 1LINK and 24V DC outlets.

I have never closed the door on any collaboration. Furthermore, if you need exact measurements and what not for your boards from any of our products, simply ask away and we can get those for you.

No need to defend the PCB I love the 100w Power supply built in. I think this was a great idea as many components from Neptune need power and a bus cable. I was one of the first to post on how amazed I was on how many wires were removed from the apex system with the 1 link and the EB832.

I also like the mains voltage spacing on the PCB it is above and beyond what most will do.

As for the "largeness" Just makes it hard for me to work with. The functionality of the EB832 is great!

I will also note the quality of the pcb and placement of components it is quite well done. There is nothing anyone can say about that. I have seen inside many "aquarium related electronics" and Neptune does a great job there.

I cant cut the EB832s PCB in half so I am kinda limited in "design choice"

" It is NOT my job to win an argument. You just keep refusing to read what I write. I specifically said, above, "The reason your post was taken down did not have anything to do with you slamming the aesthetics" "

I apologize my mistake and not intentional.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
p.s do you want to collaborate on something? :p

DO IT! DO IT!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said "GROSS MODIFICATION" lol. Nothing gross about this at all. Ha ha[emoji12]

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing at the time I read that.... LOL;Woot;Woot;Woot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back