Puffers like dogs

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you know puffers have great personalities, my little guy always follows me around the tank no matter what,
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1392755627.763793.jpg
every time I walk by the tank he's there waiting for me, today he was extra playful and grabbed a mouth full of water and spit it at me when I was cleaning the area around the tank. Caught him in the act.

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will only do that when he hasn't been fed yet. Soon as he has food, then he is off swimming around and doing his own thing.

OP
OP
ohio reefer

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they ever puffed up in your tanks?

Not in mine. They only puff up when they're stressed. Almost puffed up during acclimation when I moved him from the bucket with a net. Moving him across a state and into a new tank when the house is finished can gauruntee a puff or two haha

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess it is good they havent puffed up. Always wanted to see one puffed up but I guess that isn't very nice of me. Thats like saying I want to see someone really really ****** off haha

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want him to puff!!!! One "puff" of air and you can see his guts pop out or just die from air itself in him. It happened at my LFS

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am gonna post this video at the risk of embarrassing my wife, but it shows just how silly we are around her and attached to our fishy friends. :)

When I was at "Fish Row" visiting the wholesalers in LA around the airport I selected this guy and had him flown home to NC. We was in our LR tub for 8 weeks while our 180 ran fallow and he became quite tame and fun to play with. I actually think my wife was sad when he went into the display. He is still one of my favorite fish.

First off, a couple notes:

1. Why my wife chose to switch to a goofy voice of a 7 year old I'll never know....LOL
2. I didn't intend for her to lift him from the water, as this can cause a puffer to ingest air which is not optimal.

Enjoy,

[video=youtube_share;xyNmPrmx7hE]http://youtu.be/xyNmPrmx7hE[/video]

Puffer180.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine puff up every once in a while for no reason. They will practice puffing up once in a while.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was our first puffer. Sadly he succumed to a disease brought in by a nasty butterfly.

1357748190661 by rworegon, on Flickr

Just a heads up, never use a net with a puffer, especially a porcupine. If they puff while in the net it can be impossible to get them out. I always use a tupperware container and always hold their heads down below the warer line to prevent them from injesting air. This method is much less stressful for the fish.

And the one in the pic would also spit water at my wife everytime she walked by. She fed him and he knew it.

We now have a dogface. We got him to keep the Picasso Trigger company. They are so funny to watch.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back