OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed the odds of any getting through after the month of copper would be slim, but as I'm thinking through all it took to get to this point, honestly I don't think I would ever tear down the tank and go through all this again on such a large scale..so I think I'd rather continue on as long as everyone stays healthy and try to be as certain as possible that I've taken care of the issue.

My other concern is that they aren't in a glass tank that I can monitor from the sides, so it's harder to properly inspect the fish from the topside only..it would be pretty easy to miss a spot here and there.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed the odds of any getting through after the month of copper would be slim, but as I'm thinking through all it took to get to this point, honestly I don't think I would ever tear down the tank and go through all this again on such a large scale..so I think I'd rather continue on as long as everyone stays healthy and try to be as certain as possible that I've taken care of the issue.

My other concern is that they aren't in a glass tank that I can monitor from the sides, so it's harder to properly inspect the fish from the topside only..it would be pretty easy to miss a spot here and there.

I think, like you said, if everybody is happy and healthy then doing it this way is just fine. It's also a little better for your peace of mind. If your situation was just a little different then I might push to have the copper removed, but it's not.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to engage in a similar endeavor - though on a smaller scale!

Your thread popped up at a very opportune time for some of the learning I need! Glad to see that your protocol has been successful, and that your fish (except for those wrasses ... ) are doing well.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, like you said, if everybody is happy and healthy then doing it this way is just fine. It's also a little better for your peace of mind. If your situation was just a little different then I might push to have the copper removed, but it's not.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully they can stand it for the long haul!

About to engage in a similar endeavor - though on a smaller scale!

Your thread popped up at a very opportune time for some of the learning I need! Glad to see that your protocol has been successful, and that your fish (except for those wrasses ... ) are doing well.

~Bruce

Nice! This thread has some great info from a lot of smart people here, as well as many dumb things I've done that you'll want to avoid!

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your wrasses all died off, didn't you? Are you using Cupramine?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All but 1 wrasse did die; I'm using CopperSafe, and misread my test results and had it at 1.5x the safe level, so I'm not sure if I would have lost them if the level didn't get so high

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the risk appears to be potential Ich Tomonts on the block of MarinePure...why not just remove the MarinePure now while at a therapeutic Cu level? Then for added piece of mind, maintain therapeutic Cu for another 5-7 days just in case one of the Tomonts popped while being removed.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the other filter pads can support the bacteria load to keep ammonia down without the block... It might be fine, but I guess my worry on that line of thinking would be that a cyst could be on any of the many surfaces in the tanks besides the marinepure.. That block just got me thinking down this road but the cysts can attach to any surface, correct?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct.

Any filter media, PVC fittings ... even the glass, though from what I understand, they prefer surfaces with more texture. That's why even introducing a snail or frag to your display carries some risk. (A Marine Pure block sure does have a lot of surfaces . . . )

Silly question ... If a Marine Pure block is used in QT with copper, can it ever again be used in a reef?

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question ... If a Marine Pure block is used in QT with copper, can it ever again be used in a reef?

Practically speaking, no. Because you'd have to use hydrochloric acid to remove the outer layer where any copper might have been absorbed. That process is only worth it if we are talking about a medium to large sized rock.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, what is your opinion on my desire to be overly cautious and treat with copper for the full 72 day period..do you think that is overkill?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, what is your opinion on my desire to be overly cautious and treat with copper for the full 72 day period..do you think that is overkill?

How are your fish looking in copper? Are any of them displaying sluggish behavior or having reduced appetite?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, had a few mysterious deaths recently, so decided to cut off the copper. Did a 50% water change yesterday, and put a filter sock full of carbon inside my filter bucket forcing water through the carbon..will the carbon remove all the coppersafe, or will I need further water changes?

Also, quite disheartened.. I think there is still ich in the system after a full 6 weeks of full strength copper. Tell me what you all think of these pics; I lost my smaller Naso, and got the magnifying glass out after seeing some white specks on it, and got some pics through the glass. I know it's hard to see, but does this look like ich to you all?
-side note, none of these specks are debris.. All are attached to the fish. 1 other butterfly fish has a couple questionable spots, otherwise everyone else is still clean and spotless.

170212_232113_COLLAGE-1.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post individual pictures if needed to better zoom in, here are 2 of the best shots I could get 0212172234.jpg

0212172235a.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry to hear this, Jeff!

There's something about those spots that doesn't scream "Ich!" to me, but I'll let the pros weigh in on that ... and I'm certainly not one. Especially since I really can't put my finger on just what that "something" is. Ich can certainly show up on one or two fish and not be visibly present on all the others.

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post individual pictures if needed to better zoom in, here are 2 of the best shots I could get 0212172234.jpg

0212172235a.jpg

The reason they don't scream ich is because they are on top of the skin instead of being just under the skin like ich should be. I don't think that's ich either. It could be the beginnings of lympho which starts out looking like ich and will grow in size instead of dropping off the body.

The carbon should take out the rest of the copper in the water but it may take a few days to do so.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back