Question and Answer with Brett from the TV Show TANKED

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so, in the replies he says "you can't just dump fish in there and expect the to survive.". This show gives the impression to the layman that you can do just that. In the phone booth and gangster tank episode, they dumped the fish into saltwater made from dechlorinated tap water that was too hot and needed to be iced first. Then in the phone booth, they totally overcrowded the tank. There is no mention of cycling. How is this responsible? How many will go out and try this just to lose fish, deal with huge algae blooms from tap water, etc.? This show has potential to be just as bad for the hobby as Finding Nemo was back in 2003 or so. I know it's mindless entertainment like jersey shore, but, c'mon,man, this is on Animal Planet. If there's anything going on behind the scenes, they need to let it be known as to WHY the fish survive, like use of pre colonized wet dry filters, etc.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so, in the replies he says "you can't just dump fish in there and expect the to survive.". This show gives the impression to the layman that you can do just that. In the phone booth and gangster tank episode, they dumped the fish into saltwater made from dechlorinated tap water that was too hot and needed to be iced first. Then in the phone booth, they totally overcrowded the tank. There is no mention of cycling. How is this responsible? How many will go out and try this just to lose fish, deal with huge algae blooms from tap water, etc.? This show has potential to be just as bad for the hobby as Finding Nemo was back in 2003 or so. I know it's mindless entertainment like jersey shore, but, c'mon,man, this is on Animal Planet. If there's anything going on behind the scenes, they need to let it be known as to WHY the fish survive, like use of pre colonized wet dry filters, etc.

Give it a rest already. This response is like beating a dead horse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zoanthkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile:+1 Awesome thread.. thanks for using my questions rev, makes me feel special:) lol. And I vote tl should be hired and on the show ASAP, we have all seen his work.:tongue:

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a rest already. This response is like beating a dead horse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Totally agree, there is always someone who has to complain about every little thing. Start a thread about it...I am sure you will get lots of participation with Jersey Shore style complaining.

Now back to the show folks. I havent seen a full episode, but I really really want too. I have only seen the clips that are on the Animal Planet site. Short but pretty awesome.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome show and it's great my question submission made it into the list. They don't have the time to show the back end stuff but maybe when it comes oiut on DVD the extra features will have more info. Sure would be cool to see.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah have to say thanks to rev and go say hello to Brett.... My job is so shady I really need a out lol... Im trying to plan a trip to stop by and see the new store anyways... I'll have Jackie give me a tour haha..Btw Jackie runs the retail part fish and corals..;)

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people dont seem to understand that this show isn't a documentary or a "how to" show that gives lessons in aquarium keeping. This is about guys making awesome tanks that you dont see every day. How the customers maintain them or how the tanks are filtered or stocked is not something the general public watching the show is interested in. The hardcore guys like us want to see that stuff too but thats not entertaining to most viewers. They want to see big tanks, big houses, rich customers, and pretty fish. If you dont have anything good to say don't say it here. These guys are taking time to answer our questions and satisfy our curiosity, not to be criticised by the "Pro's" here who think they know it all.

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree, there is always someone who has to complain about every little thing. Start a thread about it...I am sure you will get lots of participation with Jersey Shore style complaining.

Now back to the show folks. I havent seen a full episode, but I really really want too. I have only seen the clips that are on the Animal Planet site. Short but pretty awesome.

I wonder if you'll feel the same way after you see a full episode. ATM builds some pretty spectacular tanks, but the show misses the mark in my opinion. kirk_m brings up some very valid points. The show could have easily included 20 second educational blurbs. It wouldn't have taken much to make this show so much more responsible.

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people dont seem to understand that this show isn't a documentary or a "how to" show that gives lessons in aquarium keeping. This is about guys making awesome tanks that you dont see every day. How the customers maintain them or how the tanks are filtered or stocked is not something the general public watching the show is interested in. The hardcore guys like us want to see that stuff too but thats not entertaining to most viewers. They want to see big tanks, big houses, rich customers, and pretty fish. If you dont have anything good to say don't say it here. These guys are taking time to answer our questions and satisfy our curiosity, not to be criticised by the "Pro's" here who think they know it all.

The show could easily promote responsibility. It really wouldn't take much. There is such a thing as constructive criticism and without feedback there can be no changes. There are many responsible hobbyists on this site and most experienced hobbyist can quickly ascertain the many things that were shown on the show that were irresponsible. Do you think it's a good idea to stress a cowfish (Lactoria cornuta) and then place it in a tank with other fish when it has the potential to release ostracitoxin which could kill all the other tankmates? What about asking from the start if this is a responsible stocking choice? Aquarium are not just pieces of furniture, they are life support systems for precious living animal that are completely dependant on someone to responsibly provide care, I just wonder why this concept is so quickly dismissed. I would love to support the show, but I can't in it's current state.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding work Rev :) Thanks for taking the time to do the leg work and get this one pulled together!

My wife and I DVR this show and love sitting down to watch it each week. I'm pretty sure when/if it comes out on DVD I'll be buying the Box-set! It's entertaining to watch their "antics" and you get to see some tanks/situations you otherwise wouldn't. Good work all the way around :)

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is that this is a Q&A thread. Not a feedback thread. The guys who star in the show are NOT the producers and have little to do with what the producers feel is good tv and or what they chose to show and what they don't. If you want to give constructive criticism send a letter to the producers or Animal planet. Don't do it here. Thats just disrespectful.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or is this tank suspended from the ground?????? It looks like it's 150-250 gallons, and its not supported from the ground. :eek:oh: WOW I wonder how they managed to do this? Amazing!
12.jpg

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a 360 view aquarium so the center is probably hollow and that where the support is..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survey says!!!!! X. How about 500 to 750 gallon lol... That's a big tank!!! Hard to tell from the pictures but I see a support around the bottom not sure how it's attached thou without a side shot of it..

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's a big tank for sure. I'd say I agree with ToXiC that there is some sort of center brace that runs through the tank and to a metal framed bottom for the tank. This is probably bolted to the main I-Beam supports for the roof and reinforced where needed to support the weight of the large tank. Assembled and probably jacked into place with lifts. That being said, I'd surely hate to do the maintenance on something like that no matter how cool it could be...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R Michelle and to everyone else your welcome! You all came up with the questions and they were great!

The debate and feedback is fine just start a new thread. I want to keep this thread about the Q and A's. Thanks.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev thanks for the thread and all the great pics. It was cool to have my question answered. I love the show and watching the creative stuff they come up with. Thanks and welcome Brett!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back