questions

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello my name is eddie i am new to this forum as well as salt water tanks. on the buying and selling section how do i find out location of products up for sale? i have a 90gal tank and stand and thats as far as i have gotten so any advice on next steps will be greatly appreciated .

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either way if your going FO (Fish Only) or Reef Tank your going to want a Protein Skimmer. Brand I use is Reef Octopus. And if you want a Sump or not is a different story. With a 90 Gallon I would invest in one but theirs always the Hang on Back Skimmers if you dont want a sump. I would read up a little bit on how to get started in SW Tanks that way you know a bit about what to do and expect. BTW Welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a read a few thing just dont know which way to go i have read up on sumps but is it better to build your own or go with a already made sump? how many chambers is good? and also opinions on the ro id filters of anyone knows bout those?

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big should the sump be? is there a general size it should be made or does it go per tank? also is sump material acrylic?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the biggest sump that you can fit under your tank. I use a 32 gal. glass tank on mine. Buy the tank, buy the pieces of glass precut and then silicone them in place. You'll want the height of the glass to be the height of the water required by the skimmer. Another trick is to make the return section small enough that it will run dry before it overflows your tank.

Once you get a reasonable idea what you need. Ask any questions that come up.

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know what the best paint would be to use to paint the background of my tank on the outside

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know what the best paint would be to use to paint the background of my tank on the outside

I normally use primer. It works well for me. One time I have has had a primer backing for close to 2 years now

Thereeferboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a made sump for my first one, a lot can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

You can probably find one on your local forums or on here

What's your los cation?

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i now have my sump set up. now i have another question what kind pf water do i use in the tank i see many people say to use a ro di filter

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back