questions

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd 2nd Bulk Reef Supply.. I bought mine on black Friday and got it for a great deal. Other stuff on the site can be found cheaper at Marine Depot. I've even found stuff cheaper on Big Al's Online. Doctor Foster and Smith is a great place for stuff to.

Since this is your first tank I'd be careful buying used. I had a buddy buy a Skimmer and half the stuff was missing and by the time he replace the parts is was dang near new price..

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to plumb your sump? Are going to drill your tank or use an hang on type overflow? You will be glad you are going with a sump. I was on the fence with my tank, and now I am so glad I did.

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my sump under my tang it came drill i did that today it up ans runing i am wating for 2 weeks then i puting a test fish i there

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have rock in your tank? How are you planning on cycling it? How about test kits? Just thinking of some of the stuff that comes up when starting a tank :)

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i just put sand and water with salt. i tested the salt and it a little high so i have to fix that. probably add rocks next week

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd read up on fishless cycle and not cycle with fish. You'll get all kinds of mix reviews here, but I have not cycled any tank with fish for over 10 years and Never lost a fish do to new tank syndrome.

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent put in any tank. i added the sand and water and salt and have my sump running. my salt is a little high does anyone know how to bring it down it only been running for 1 day

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lower salt levels, you take out salt water and put in fresh water. I'd start with maybe 1/2 to 1 gallon and see what is is after running it for a few hours.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember also, once you have your salt level where you want it, that after that, any time you have to add water because of evaporation, you only add freshwater, not saltwater.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To chance water, I use a rubber tubing and start a gravity feed (buy sucking one end of the hose while the other ends in the tank and drain to a bucket. You could also for this take cup or something and rinse in RP water and just dip it out.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eddie, when its time for a water change (either a scheduled water change...like one a week...month etc or because one of your parameters are off, you
make up some salt water that matches the salt level in your tank (or maybe a little more salt, or a little less if you need to adjust the salt
level in your tank a little). You can siphon or pump out the same amount of water out of the tank that matches the amount of new saltwater
you have made..say 5 or 10 gallons. Then you can replace that water with the new water you have made up. Make sure your new water is also close
to the temperature of your display tank.

Your ahead of the game by asking questions on this forum, I also suggest you do lots of reading about setting up and maintaining
a reef tank. There is lots of information online to help you out and of course lots of people here who will answer your questions. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
eserrano

eserrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1377571116.807473.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back