Red Sea NO3:POX4X Real Time Review.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a bottle of the stuff that has been lying around for a little more than a year now....i am following along as i am now having a similar issue and am on the fence about using the stuff

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally went this route because vodka and vinegar dosing seemed more complicated...NO3PO4-X gives a baseline dosage based on your nitrate levels, tells you to test once a week, and adjust when / if needed. (Plus I had bought a bottle of it a while back when I was dabbling with the different methods of carbon dosing so I figured I might as well use it up as it hadn't expired yet.)

I had a bio-pellet reactor (undersized for my 266G build though) and could never get it working well...Most likely just wasn't patient enough and I added it to a system that had been running for almost 2 years. Other thing I noticed was the Cyano that showed up and it never really went away until I took the reactor offline.

I also figured that if I was vodka dosing it'd more or less end up in a mixed drink of sorts. Why waste booze!?! ;) (It's cold here in MN. Got to stay warm somehow!)

I personally don't think NO3:po4-X is any better than the other options, probably slightly more expensive than vodka dosing and definitely more expensive than vinegar (I assume)...I'd like to try pellets again, but the reactor I'm looking at just isn't in the budget at the moment. I figure that the cost is about $20-25 for almost 2 months worth of dosing and it seems to be working right now, so might as well not change it. :)

Thanks for the info. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the diff between nopox and vinegar?

NOPOX contains mostly vinegar and vodka (acetic acid and ethanol) plus small amounts of methanol and isopropanol. It also says it contains some trace metals. IMO, it's not been clearly established by reefer experience that NOPOX gives a qualitatively different result than vodka, vinegar, or combos of them. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed vodka for a while and it had so-so results for me

Thanks. :)

Do you recall how much you were dosing that didn't give good results compared to how much NOPOX you dose now?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't remember how much vodka I dosed, right now I dose 5ml NOPOX every other day

OK. I was just wondering if the difference was the product itself, or perhaps the dose. :)

nstd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When most people carbon dose do they do it manually or with a dosing pump?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When most people carbon dose do they do it manually or with a dosing pump?

Some of each. I've done both.

One advantage of dosing pumps is to spread out the dose during the daylight hours when pH and O2 are highest (organic carbon dosing of any type lowers both).

It is also a bit easier to dose vinegar with a pump to avoid the immediate pH drop when dosing it, but when I dosed in manually once a day I mixed calcium hydroxide into it to avoid any pH drop, and added it all at once in the AM. :)

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed NOPOX for about a year after coming off the zeovit system. I dose it manually in the morning. Currently po4 is 0-.02
No3 is zero
I'm down to using 1.5 ml currently on a heavy feed 100 gal tank

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear I use both red sea and KZ energy (amino acid) along with a couple other coral food products from KZ depending on what I seeing and how the corals look. With using a auto Doser for NOPOX you need to keep it from evaporating along with the small volume I've used from the start with a maximum of 5 mL and the minimum of 1 mL I wouldn't be comfortable that my dozer could be that accurate

nstd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of each. I've done both.

One advantage of dosing pumps is to spread out the dose during the daylight hours when pH and O2 are highest (organic carbon dosing of any type lowers both).

It is also a bit easier to dose vinegar with a pump to avoid the immediate pH drop when dosing it, but when I dosed in manually once a day I mixed calcium hydroxide into it to avoid any pH drop, and added it all at once in the AM. :)

Randy, even with a small dosage (I.e. 1-2 ml) of vinegar, will PH drop in a 70g system?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, even with a small dosage (I.e. 1-2 ml) of vinegar, will PH drop in a 70g system?

No, but that dose may not be very effective either. You may need more than 10x that dose.

As to the pH drop, it depends on both the starting pH (less at higher pH) and the alkalinity (less with higher alkalinity), but is on the order of about 0.3 pH units when dosed at 1 ml per gallon.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried and what I saw was brown stuff all over my rocks and sandbed...stopped it when the overflow box fell off and had to essentially restart from scratch.

Could you please reword this? I can't really understand what you are trying to say;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back