Red Sea NO3:POX4X Real Time Review.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read more about reefing, it appears you don't want to run a system with 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. My tank right now is 0 and 0...battling dino at the moment, and stopped doing water changes, hoping to get some nitrates and phosphates in there. test day is tomorrow.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please reword this? I can't really understand what you are trying to say;)

After cycling the tank the first time, I had high nitrates (over 30ppm). started to dose NOPOX, and nitrates were falling, however I was seeing brown stuff all over the rocks and substrate. I weaned down to stop dosing becuase I was going away for a few weeks and couldn't dose. when I got back my overflox box was basically falling off and had to break the tank down, empty it and such. Since I set it back up, my levels are at 0 and 0 and no need to dose....but the side effect of 0 nitrates and 0 po4 is now I have dino.

sorry was typing and eating a salad at the same time. Not advisable.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I understand now, I completely agree with what you are saying ( I thought you meant the dino came from the No3Po4X:confused:)

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the dino is a result of the lack the other beneficial bacteria to compete with it. I suggest adding fauna marin DinoX and when you finish dosing it add some MB7 or a bottle Biro-Spira

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cycling the tank the first time, I had high nitrates (over 30ppm). started to dose NOPOX, and nitrates were falling, however I was seeing brown stuff all over the rocks and substrate. I weaned down to stop dosing becuase I was going away for a few weeks and couldn't dose. when I got back my overflox box was basically falling off and had to break the tank down, empty it and such. Since I set it back up, my levels are at 0 and 0 and no need to dose....but the side effect of 0 nitrates and 0 po4 is now I have dino.

sorry was typing and eating a salad at the same time. Not advisable.

Yeah the dino is a result of the lack the other beneficial bacteria to compete with it. I suggest adding fauna marin DinoX and when you finish dosing it add some MB7 or a bottle Biro-Spira

Does this help? (I just finished battling dino and this is what worked for me)

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now, I'm doing 72 hours of darkness (2nd round). I'll get some dino-x at some point.

nstd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiment wasn't scientific but peroxide helped me get rid of Dino within a week

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read more about reefing, it appears you don't want to run a system with 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. My tank right now is 0 and 0...battling dino at the moment, and stopped doing water changes, hoping to get some nitrates and phosphates in there. test day is tomorrow.
red sea reef energy will do that for you too.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Trying to bring up nitrates to fight Dino. Once I get nitrates up to 5 or so, I can start working in raising salinity to 35ppt and getting a coral.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Trying to bring up nitrates to fight Dino. Once I get nitrates up to 5 or so, I can start working in raising salinity to 35ppt and getting a coral.

This is getting off topic, but why would raising nitrate help to fight dinos?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly the dirtier the water (nitrates and po4) will cause other bacteria to outcompete the Dino for the nutrients causing the dino to die off.

Again supposedly.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that whenever I did a water change it got worse. That much I know.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly the dirtier the water (nitrates and po4) will cause other bacteria to outcompete the Dino for the nutrients causing the dino to die off.

Again supposedly.

I've not heard that before and I don't believe it to be true. What nutrients is this even supposed to apply to? Can't be nitrogen if you are feeding that one. Phosphate? Adding nitrate does not typically make bacteria begin to consume phosphate unless you are adding organic carbon too. Also, if that were it, GFO should work better for dinos as well, which it does not appear to.

Bacteria (in general, at least) are not limited in reef tanks by the availability of nitrate and phosphate until they are super low. That is why organic carbon dosing is capable of driving nutrients very low, becuase bacteria are limited by available organics, and they consume the inorganic nutrients that are available WHEN they have enough organic matter. :)

If we are talking about reducing trace metals, such as iron, I'm not sure adding nitrate is the best way to accomplish that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that whenever I did a water change it got worse. That much I know.

That I can easily believe. Many pests can show that in some tanks. Presumably, as long as you are using pure source water, it is probably from available trace elements in the salt, or maybe some extra nitrogen as ammonia.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I can easily believe. Many pests can show that in some tanks. Presumably, as long as you are using pure source water, it is probably from available trace elements in the salt, or maybe some extra nitrogen as ammonia.

I use rodi.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back