Red Sea Tank Fails, AGAIN! Any Recommendations?

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of the consensus is that they did very little to address the issue or pre-empt failures if they knew it was an issue. And furthermore, they did the bare minimum to compensate those affected and nothing to those potentially affected except offer a retrofit that does not actually appear to address the breadth of the issue. At least that is what I see and not people jumping on a bandwagon.
As far as addressing the issue, I think they have done a heck of a lot with both their stands and tank construction. I don't know enough to give a reasoned opinion on what they did to pre-empt failures although surely offering a retrofit is exactly that? Can you elaborate as to what is the 'breadth of the issue' ?

Finally, please excuse my pessimism. I'm from the UK and while we have inherited many beneficial things from the US over the last few decades, the propensity for litigious recourse is not one of them.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as addressing the issue, I think they have done a heck of a lot with both their stands and tank construction.
I think you missed my point. I was speaking to addressing the issue in context to those who had failed tanks and those who own the presumably flawed tanks, not fixing the design for future customers.

I don't know enough to give a reasoned opinion on what they did to pre-empt failures although surely offering a retrofit is exactly that? Can you elaborate as to what is the 'breadth of the issue' ?
It has been covered ad nauseam in many of these threads. But given the failure modes (there are several) it appears that there was more than one causal issue, thus the use of the term "breadth" to encompass the various common seam failures (middle bottom, 1/3 right or left, etc. In a nutshell - stand design, panel configuration, adhesive choice, quality control.

Finally, please excuse my pessimism. I'm from the UK and while we have inherited many beneficial things from the US over the last few decades, the propensity for litigious recourse is not one of them.
Good for you? I don't have time for stuffy back handed barbs or people that toss them.

brian61381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red sea max 250 for a few years and all of a sudden it cracked by the seam on the right side of the tank. Fortunately I caught it in time and was able to transfer everything to a smaller tank until I received a new tank. I upgraded to a innovative marine lagoon which seems to be built much better. Red sea used to have people answer the phones if there were any issues, but now everything is through email.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed my point. I was speaking to addressing the issue in context to those who had failed tanks and those who own the presumably flawed tanks, not fixing the design for future customers.

It has been covered ad nauseam in many of these threads. But given the failure modes (there are several) it appears that there was more than one causal issue, thus the use of the term "breadth" to encompass the various common seam failures (middle bottom, 1/3 right or left, etc. In a nutshell - stand design, panel configuration, adhesive choice, quality control.

Good for you? I don't have time for stuffy back handed barbs or people that toss them.
Don't take things so personally as it wasn't aimed at you. My (missed) point was that because companies are so scared of getting sued in the US, people use that to their advantage. That's not dismissing the many valid claims though.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apologies for resurrecting an old post but I'd like to add my bit. By default RSRs will likely have the highest number of issues, not necessarily because of defects, but because they have sold the most tanks. Previous posters have mentioned Cade and the lack of negative reviews - Cade probably sells 5% (maybe less) compared to RS and they cost about 75% more - great tanks, but you pay top $ for that.

That being said, RS have made massive changes to both stand and tank design and most importantly, their CS have refunded/replaced tank with issues.

If you have a legitimate gripe about RS, fill your boots, but it seems plenty jump on the bandwagon

RS is not even close to the top selling manufacturer of tanks. Maybe of the ones you listed. I would bet Aqueon sells more 20 gallon aquariums than RS sells total.

Sorry they handled it terribly by deleting post on their Facebook page and trying to bury it and deny there was a issue. I got reprehended on R2R for talking about the issues. We are not allowed to talk bad about sponsors. This will probably get edited.

They should have stopped selling them. Issued a recall.

They denied denied denied or years. What about all the peoples damages to their houses and floors but that is ok right.

It is about money. Lets protect a business over consumers right.

All companies have issues but it is how you handle the issues is what counts.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take things so personally as it wasn't aimed at you. My (missed) point was that because companies are so scared of getting sued in the US, people use that to their advantage. That's not dismissing the many valid claims though.
I did not take it personally at all. I took it as a somewhat arrogant swipe at this country from an outsider.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not take it personally at all. I took it as a somewhat arrogant swipe at this country from an outsider.
I really can't be bothered to have an argument over this so I'll show I said below with what you seemed to miss out bolded:

"Finally, please excuse my pessimism. I'm from the UK and while we have inherited many beneficial things from the US over the last few decades, the propensity for litigious recourse is not one of them."

I would imagine there are more lawyers earning a greater salary per capita in the US over any other decently sized country.

I love the US, have travelled across it and plan to visit again. The people I met on my travels have been amazingly friendly and accommodating.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS is not even close to the top selling manufacturer of tanks. Maybe of the ones you listed. I would bet Aqueon sells more 20 gallon aquariums than RS sells total.

Sorry they handled it terribly by deleting post on their Facebook page and trying to bury it and deny there was a issue. I got reprehended on R2R for talking about the issues. We are not allowed to talk bad about sponsors. This will probably get edited.

They should have stopped selling them. Issued a recall.

They denied denied denied or years. What about all the peoples damages to their houses and floors but that is ok right.

It is about money. Lets protect a business over consumers right.

All companies have issues but it is how you handle the issues is what counts.

All fair comments although comparing an Aqueon aquarium to a RSR is like comparing apples and pears. There are many manufacturers that are similar to Aqueon (in the niche they have) that sell only to local markets, not worldwide.

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 625 v3. I really hope this thing doesn't leak. I bought it used from a guy who said he used it for like 6 months but who really knows. There is no reason a tank should leak even within 10 years of paying the expensive price tag for it. I think my next tank will be a braced water box tank many years down the road. Hopefully this red sea lasts that long. Anyone have any experience with water box. They look like decently built tanks. I would be considering a larger model.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't be bothered to have an argument over this so I'll show I said below with what you seemed to miss out bolded:

"Finally, please excuse my pessimism. I'm from the UK and while we have inherited many beneficial things from the US over the last few decades, the propensity for litigious recourse is not one of them."

I would imagine there are more lawyers earning a greater salary per capita in the US over any other decently sized country.

I love the US, have travelled across it and plan to visit again. The people I met on my travels have been amazingly friendly and accommodating.
The UK, US and Australia have similar "lawyers" per capita but that is a rather misleading number.

A rather significant portion of the lawyers in the US do not deal with litigation in any form. They are paper pushers for compliance, policy, due diligence, entity management, etc.

The top 10 most litigious countries by capita:
Germany: 123.2/1,000
Sweden: 111.2/1,000
Israel: 96.8/1,000
Austria: 95.9/1,000
U.S.: 74.5/1,000
UK 64.4/1,000
Denmark 62.5/1000
Hungary 52.4/1000
Portugal 40.7/1000
France 40.3/1000

I think saying that the US is any different than the UK with regard to the number of lawyers or actual litigious activity is a misconception and neither holds a candle to Germany, Sweden, Israel or Austria.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UK, US and Australia have similar "lawyers" per capita but that is a rather misleading number.

A rather significant portion of the lawyers in the US do not deal with litigation in any form. They are paper pushers for compliance, policy, due diligence, entity management, etc.

The top 10 most litigious countries by capita:
Germany: 123.2/1,000
Sweden: 111.2/1,000
Israel: 96.8/1,000
Austria: 95.9/1,000
U.S.: 74.5/1,000
UK 64.4/1,000
Denmark 62.5/1000
Hungary 52.4/1000
Portugal 40.7/1000
France 40.3/1000

I think saying that the US is any different than the UK with regard to the number of lawyers or actual litigious activity is a misconception and neither holds a candle to Germany, Sweden, Israel or Austria.
Glad to see you're spending your time wisely even though the stats you're using aren't based on what I said - "I would imagine there are more lawyers earning a greater salary per capita in the US over any other decently sized country."

Honestly, just STOP NOW. This has nothing to do with marine aquariums.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you're spending your time wisely even though the stats you're using aren't based on what I said - "I would imagine there are more lawyers earning a greater salary per capita in the US over any other decently sized country."
Given you are spending time on a reef forum mischaracterizing peoples first hand RS accounts as bandwagon mentality, doesn't that make your snooty comment about my use of time a bit presumptuous?

Nice try at back-peddling but you said:
I'm from the UK and while we have inherited many beneficial things from the US over the last few decades, the propensity for litigious recourse is not one of them.
You made a back handed (rather arrogant) comment regarding the US and I posted stats to show you that it was nonsense no matter how you want to back peddle and parse your words.

Honestly, just STOP NOW.
Again, rather presumptuous to engage in an argument with somebody, throw a few barbs and then demand that THEY stop, isn't it? You said that you don't want to argue. If you truly want the conversation to end, then simply do not respond. If you do respond, the assumption would be that you wish to further argue.

Frankly, the expected response from somebody not looking to argue or who honestly felt their words were misunderstood would have been something to the effect:
"Wow, sorry for the misunderstanding or making that assumption about the US, those stats are an eye opener! Thanks for posting them."

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back