Red Sea Tank Fails, AGAIN! Any Recommendations?

Anomaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here’s an update. Red Sea contacted me today and they are sending out a new complete G2 system to replace this one. What’s the general consensus on the new G2’s? Are they prone to the same issue?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here’s an update. Red Sea contacted me today and they are sending out a new complete G2 system to replace this one. What’s the general consensus on the new G2’s? Are they prone to the same issue?

I would build a custom stand to support the entire tank. Don't take any chances.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not sleep well at night with another Red Sea, just can't. If you do for some reason decide to keep it, get two water sensors, battery powered and put them behind the stand, one to the left and one to the right. At least then you may get woken up at night instead of a rude awakening in the morning. I will always have leak sensors on any tank now.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not sleep well at night with another Red Sea, just can't. If you do for some reason decide to keep it, get two water sensors, battery powered and put them behind the stand, one to the left and one to the right. At least then you may get woken up at night instead of a rude awakening in the morning. I will always have leak sensors on any tank now.
Can you please recommend which sensors?

Anomaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I had a catastrophic failure, I have nothing but good things to say about the CS experience I received. The new setup arrived today.

Attachments

• IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8553.jpeg
    IMG_8553.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 90

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gen 2 tanks seems a significant improvement over the Gen 1 in my opinion. Based on the history though, I wouldn't buy until they have proved themselves in the long run.

I went with Cade ultimately after not finding one single example of a Cade tank bursting its seems.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a red sea, and likely won't, but I don't think this thread is getting anywhere as far as actual data or a conclusion. I do check all my seams every day or so on any brand because I'm paranoid like that.

One thing I will say, is I was just looking for a couple water/leak sensors and it is hilarious that when you search "leak alarm" on BRS most of the products directly under leak sensors are red sea tanks :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Self proclaimed generosity...

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for resurrecting an old post but I'd like to add my bit. By default RSRs will likely have the highest number of issues, not necessarily because of defects, but because they have sold the most tanks. Previous posters have mentioned Cade and the lack of negative reviews - Cade probably sells 5% (maybe less) compared to RS and they cost about 75% more - great tanks, but you pay top $ for that.

That being said, RS have made massive changes to both stand and tank design and most importantly, their CS have refunded/replaced tank with issues.

If you have a legitimate gripe about RS, fill your boots, but it seems plenty jump on the bandwagon

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Apologies for resurrecting an old post but I'd like to add my bit. By default RSRs will likely have the highest number of issues, not necessarily because of defects, but because they have sold the most tanks. Previous posters have mentioned Cade and the lack of negative reviews - Cade probably sells 5% (maybe less) compared to RS and they cost about 75% more - great tanks, but you pay top $ for that.

That being said, RS have made massive changes to both stand and tank design and most importantly, their CS have refunded/replaced tank with issues.

If you have a legitimate gripe about RS, fill your boots, but it seems plenty jump on the bandwagon
They are beautiful tanks. i switched to acrylic. other brand failed on me!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
their CS have refunded/replaced tank with issues.

I think a lot of the consensus is that they did very little to address the issue or pre-empt failures if they knew it was an issue. And furthermore, they did the bare minimum to compensate those affected and nothing to those potentially affected except offer a retrofit that does not actually appear to address the breadth of the issue. At least that is what I see and not people jumping on a bandwagon.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back