Red Sea Tank Fails, AGAIN! Any Recommendations?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone keeps going in circles with this.

I can only base my responses on what I see. 30+ years in the SW hobby since dialup BBS days, and never have I seen this concentration of failure reports regarding one brand, let alone that many failure reports to begin with. Most of those being the result of clearly gross user error...
We are only going in circles cause we keep bringing up the same arguments... "In my grandpa's day..... " etc. 30 years ago tanks were failing for a different set of reasons. This whole thread, without any real data, is honestly completely useless.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone keeps going in circles with this.

I can only base my responses on what I see. 30+ years in the SW hobby since dialup BBS days, and never have I seen this concentration of failure reports regarding one brand, let alone that many failure reports to begin with. Most of those being the result of clearly gross user error...
Btw please don't take my comments with any negativity, they are not means as such. I actually have a lot of respect for your username (assuming you are the creator of the Bean Animal overflow). But it's hard to have an enlightened conversation without any real data. I had 19 rimless tanks, 5 of them with front glass hanging, and no leaks. But I do not resent the entire market of course.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we have a large enough number of reefers from the site with red sea tanks to report in their their tank details and occurrences of failure we could stop the circular argument and look at the data

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If we have a large enough number of reefers from the site with red sea tanks to report in their their tank details and occurrences of failure we could stop the circular argument and look at the data
OKmi have 525 xxl and a 750 xxl - iwith no problem

OP
OP
fpizart

fpizart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update guys! The tank arrived with ATO and all. The pallet had termites, but the tank was perfect. I will say this much.... it feels so poorly built next to the WB! I get it, the WB is 200+ gallons, but still. The stand and overall quality are not as good. This is the 525 G2+.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think red sea might be putting too much faith into the consumer or they have a really poor design! Just got this message..
IMG_9886.jpeg

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please contact Red Sea with pics and testimony

please report back here what they said / we are tracking their willingness to assist as much as we track the rate of seam breaks %
Months back I was servicing the sump in my redsea reefer xl 200 and this cleaning is what made me decide to completely remove that gravity ato that they come with because while the idea is cool I don’t like that the rodi holding tank sits on top of the glass in that section where the water enters and flows through the filter sock. When I was putting that rodi holding tank back in place it cracked the glass panel that divides the sections. I reached out to redsea on multiple different occasions and not once did I ever get a single response I would rather they just tell me “ no we can’t help” over them just ignoring me all together. You’d think with that design sitting on top of bare glass they would have maybe put some rubber edges around that area or something so it wasn’t just sitting right on the glass panels themselves. The glass didn’t shatter but some small pieces were lost in the water and I had a very difficult time finding the few that did splinter off into smaller pieces. I was very upset with them for ignoring those messages though because I payed a lot of money for what some would consider a nano sized tank. To top it off when the tank itself was delivered the deliver guy pulled his heavy duty dolly (for lack of a better word) off of the side of my brand new sidewalk and took a big chunk right out of the concrete and I made a complaint to brs and they then attempted to reach redsea over the issue and in the end redsea never addressed the issue with that situation either and that is what brs told me over the phone.brs wasn’t happy about that at all they had all of the pictures ready to be presented to redsea along with a written statement on how that happened. The company that handles those deliveries never responded to brs either ( I’m sure redsea/brs use different delivery companies depending on the area that was the experience I had with this one here in the Midwest) the cost for the delivery is tacked onto the overall price of the system though so I don’t think I should have had to repair that sidewalk out of pocket when at that point my house was only 1 year old and literally everything had just been built.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Months back I was servicing the sump in my redsea reefer xl 200 and this cleaning is what made me decide to completely remove that gravity ato that they come with because while the idea is cool I don’t like that the rodi holding tank sits on top of the glass in that section where the water enters and flows through the filter sock. When I was putting that rodi holding tank back in place it cracked the glass panel that divides the sections. I reached out to redsea on multiple different occasions and not once did I ever get a single response I would rather they just tell me “ no we can’t help” over them just ignoring me all together. You’d think with that design sitting on top of bare glass they would have maybe put some rubber edges around that area or something so it wasn’t just sitting right on the glass panels themselves. The glass didn’t shatter but some small pieces were lost in the water and I had a very difficult time finding the few that did splinter off into smaller pieces. I was very upset with them for ignoring those messages though because I payed a lot of money for what some would consider a nano sized tank. To top it off when the tank itself was delivered the deliver guy pulled his heavy duty dolly (for lack of a better word) off of the side of my brand new sidewalk and took a big chunk right out of the concrete and I made a complaint to brs and they then attempted to reach redsea over the issue and in the end redsea never addressed the issue with that situation either and that is what brs told me over the phone.brs wasn’t happy about that at all they had all of the pictures ready to be presented to redsea along with a written statement on how that happened. The company that handles those deliveries never responded to brs either ( I’m sure redsea/brs use different delivery companies depending on the area that was the experience I had with this one here in the Midwest) the cost for the delivery is tacked onto the overall price of the system though so I don’t think I should have had to repair that sidewalk out of pocket when at that point my house was only 1 year old and literally everything had just been built.
1. The trucker is responsible for damage. I'm curious, though (and I'm posting this not to criticize you - but as a public service). Normally, when a truck delivery occurs, at the end you're required to sign a form saying 'everything is fine' (paraphrased). If you've not reported every problem before the truck leaves - or don't note it on the form, you're literally on the hook. When I had my RedSea tank delivered, I actually unpacked the tank (while the driver waited) - he helped unpack - and checked everything for problems.
2. I recently had to contact Redsea (I think, they prefer now that you use their Email contact form) but received a reply quickly. I think, though that others have had your problem after leaving a phone message (which is the other option).

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happed two weeks ago at 4 am!
6 years old redsea 525
There’s not really a recommendation to be made because RedSea no longer makes their tanks the way they did six years ago.
Since then, they’ve adopted a completely different construction method.
The way they apply the silicone, their change to a small batch assembly process, vertical edge supports where the glass panels meet, and their stand and sump upgrades; a lot has change over the last three years.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I use the ATO tank to hold my dosing jugs and mount for my refugium light. I use a separate 5 gallon acrylic ATO with a Tunze.
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the thread on humblefish because I want to have a place to collect new break examples, it's like casting a fishing line for any new break examples. not much mentioned over there lately. hopefully the trend is dying out. we sure had a flurry here in April that's for sure.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the thread on humblefish because I want to have a place to collect new break examples, it's like casting a fishing line for any new break examples. not much mentioned over there lately. hopefully the trend is dying out. we sure had a flurry here in April that's for sure.
I got it. After hearing they upgraded about four years ago, I can only hope - as a customer - the trend is dying down. There’s too much invested in this hobby to suffer the fails I’ve read about in previous models.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I wonder if there is a way to tell if a tank is newer and they changed or it is just older models still failing.

It had seemed to calm down for a bit and now again it seems like there is more again.

It could be I stopped following them after I sold off mine. It used to be the larger ones but now some of the smaller ones too? Anyone know what sizes these failures have been in.

Last edited:

Anomaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the front seal, not the rear. It started towards the top and the entire front glass started pushing forward as I was trying to get as much water out as I could.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it was the rear based on light mount I see. I can safely say we should not ask Red Sea to bear any extra shear weight on any panel, ever. they have enough seam challenge holding back the water pressure

Anomaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that’s a fan that’s mounted on the right side of the tank to help it stay cool in the summer months. Doesn’t weigh much at all. I have always been worried about this happening since I read about the apparent seam issues. Unfortunately I learned about them after the tank was purchased.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I wonder if there is a way to tell if a tank is newer and they changed or it is just older models still failing.

It had seemed to calm down for a bit and now again it seems like there is more again.

It could be I stopped following them after I sold off mine. It used to be the larger ones but now some of the smaller ones too? Anyone know what sizes these failures have been in.
Seems like it’s just a matter of time for all gen1 RS tanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back